Alright when was that again.....?

I do not believe it at all. No offence to Alonso but hes old in F1 years. There are a lot of young drivers on looking for a door into the sport so its hard to keep a seat.
What he will bring is data and knowledge useful for development of car. And a more mature approach on track than you will get from a young driver who is still on a learning curve.
What ever happens i cant see him racing competitive. More like Kimi in Alfa Romeo running around just for the love of the sport. Then if the car is good a young driver will take over the wheel and steer it to the front.

While the Ferrari trails both Merc, RB, RP and McL, I have my doubts whether the Ferrari really is slower than the McLarens in race trim.
I don't know about that. I saw a graphic comparing the current Ferrari to last years after the qualifying session. It was losing massive chunks of time on the straights, and that's comparing it to last years Ferrari, not the Merc. They weren't making it back in the corners either.

It's very slow in a straight line which makes it a sitting duck for any car with a Mercedes engine in the back. It will be interesting to see how it does at a track like Silverstone.

I think Charles is very talented, and that talent enabled him to take advantage of the situation when an opportunity arose, but luck played a very large part in he's final position. Once they get to tracks with long straights it looks like the Ferrari will be in a lot of trouble.

I don't know about that. I saw a graphic comparing the current Ferrari to last years after the qualifying session. It was losing massive chunks of time on the straights, and that's comparing it to last years Ferrari, not the Merc. They weren't making it back in the corners either.

It's very slow in a straight line which makes it a sitting duck for any car with a Mercedes engine in the back. It will be interesting to see how it does at a track like Silverstone.

I think Charles is very talented, and that talent enabled him to take advantage of the situation when an opportunity arose, but luck played a very large part in he's final position. Once they get to tracks with long straights it looks like the Ferrari will be in a lot of trouble.
Wasn't Ferrari cheating last year? Now that they can't cheat, the car is slow?

The only way to enforce track limits is more street races like Monaco. Run to wide or tight and probably in the will will broken suspension.

Why not giving penalties after warnings? I don't think it's that nice to tighten up the circuits. Also the material next to the curb might influence. Or having material that slow them down.. I'm not fan of that, but I could be fan of having more sand next to tracks.

He can do that with gentlemen racers but he can't qualify in the top 33 at Indy. Alonso will struggle in a modern F1 car.

His failure to qualify last year was much more due to McLaren's arrogance than his own driving. McLaren thought they could just show up at Indy and do well. When given a good car, Alonso led the race in 2018 and could very well have won if not for engine failure.

His failure to qualify last year was much more due to McLaren's arrogance than his own driving. McLaren thought they could just show up at Indy and do well. When given a good car, Alonso led the race in 2018 and could very well have won if not for engine failure.
After Alonso did not show any speed in the McLaren last year they should have put an experienced Indycar driver in the car to put it in the show. Anyone can take a great car and run at the front.

Agreed - ENTIRELY due to McLaren last year - The car was undrivable in qualifying, something to do with a completely wrong setup on the car, as well as other things that had just not been prepared properly. They were rightly embarrassed about it, but it did not allow Alonso (or probably anyone else) to have driven it quick enough to qualify.

Alonso has been out of F1 two years, but in that time, he's kept racing, was on for at least 3rd at the previous Indy, won LeMans x2, plus raced in some rallies/Dakar.

Whatever the Renault is able to do, I will be surprised if Alonso does not squeeze every last possible tenth out of it.

Sorry Keith. I am partially serious. Most likely they would not have qualified regardless however an experienced driver at Indy may have been able to provide direction how to get the setup sorted our quickly.

so many haters here! facts: 2 world champions beating the unbatible ferrari of todt/ brawn/ schumacher era; alonso beat all his teammates, 2 sub champions whit ferraris very poors againsted the best trickys red bull of newey ( and that is a important reason why vettel was beating first for ricciardo on red bull and for leclerc in ferrari, vettel is a good driver but he could not adapt to another type of car) sure, his personality is"disgusting" but cmon¡ he is a true driver.(like the 60 or 70 era), so im really really happy to see you again in formula 1!

After Alonso did not show any speed in the McLaren last year they should have put an experienced Indycar driver in the car to put it in the show. Anyone can take a great car and run at the front.

That just confirms what I wrote: it was McLaren's fault, not Alonso's. Being fast at Indy depends on the team. Look at the list of winners: they always come from established Indycar operations. In 2018, Alonso was driving for Andretti, one of the top teams. Last year, McLaren made a deal with Carlin, a much smaller team. They got the preparation leading to the race all wrong, they were late for everything but McLaren thought that they were "McLaren-a-legendary-F1-team", so this little Indycar thing was no big deal. Well, Indianapolis is a big deal, teams prepare all year round for it.

Read this:

I'm very happy about this news...I believe Alonso still has lots of pace left in him, plus youth does not mean a better or faster driver and that has been proven so many times in both vintage (H-pattern) and modern F1 (semi-automatic). Also, people give him a lot of flak but I think he's hilarious, so that's a bonus. If Renault is at all serious about making a comeback, they need a fast, experienced driver to guide that renovation.

alonso beat all his teammates

Slight correction: everybody seems to forget that a rookie Lewis Hamilton tied the 2 time reigning WDC Alonso (in arguably his prime) in points in 2007 and beat him on countback. Not hating, I'm an Alonso fan as well, I think he's one of the best to ever do it...but the Hamilton fan inside me couldn't let that statement slide ;)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.