Alright when was that again.....?

It would be really nice to have him back on the grid because imo he's one of the best drivers but I have doubts that Renault will be able to give him a car that is good enough for top3s, even in 2022.

Please make it be true. Alonso's my fav ever driver along with M. Schumi & Senna.

P.S. LeClerc's drive last race reminds me of Senna/Schumi/Alonso drives. He didn't have the car but got the absolute best out of it. Not really any mistakes, extracted the seeming most out of the car lap after lap, kept up with and passed cars arguably faster (Perez/RP, Sainz/Mac, Norris/Mac). Very Senna/Schumi/Alonso-esque. I really think LeClerc's drive last Sunday was something really special.

Last edited:
I keep wondering if I'm not seeing this correctly...people keep saying Albon was on the line and Hamilton forced him wide...but umm:
View attachment 386484

This is the frame just before their tyres make contact (go check for yourself)....there is asphalt, the curb and the green on Albon's left and, as far as I know on this track, as long as you have two wheels on the asphalt you're not exceeding track limits.

Let's also remember that Albon:
  1. Is in a Red Bull...who has had one of, if not the best Aero packages of the last decade...so excellent downforce in situations like this.
  2. Is using the new Honda engine, closer in power to the Merc when compared to RB's Renault days.
  3. Is on Softs (when combined with the 2 points above means he most likely had grip to spare).

Let's also remember that Hamilton:
  1. Arrived at the braking zone first. Yes there's overlap, but he has the right to defend the corner, not just give it up because you want him to.
  2. Is on worn Hard tyres.
  3. Shows no evidence of intentionally letting the car run wide when looking at steering input and listening to the engine.
Factoring all of this into it, is it not also possible that both Hamilton had understeer and Albon underestimated how wide his own back tyres are and turned in too early? I believe it was a racing incident; people calling for Hamilton to be nailed to a cross over this really needs to take a breather and look at all the angles without bias. I didn't know 6 time WDC's stop being human and can't make an error (understeer) and a driver who's still pretty much a rookie can have his part in the incident completely overlooked...but yea, it's Hamilton so he's automatically guilty.

I always here everywhere I go since I started Sim-Racing: "It's the job of the faster car to facilitate a clean, safe pass"...did that rule suddenly get thrown out the window? If there's any corner to provide a "clean, safe pass"...that corner ain't it. Albon clearly had the pace and could easily pass Hamilton about 3 corners later.
When looking at the black tire line on the tarmac, Ham is not on raceline. He is going to the left. Still it’s just a racing accident.

Last edited:
I keep wondering if I'm not seeing this correctly...people keep saying Albon was on the line and Hamilton forced him wide...but umm:
View attachment 386484

This is the frame just before their tyres make contact (go check for yourself)....there is asphalt, the curb and the green on Albon's left and, as far as I know on this track, as long as you have two wheels on the asphalt you're not exceeding track limits.

1. Is in a Red Bull...who has had one of, if not the best Aero packages of the last decade...so excellent downforce in situations like this.
  2. Is using the new Honda engine, closer in power to the Merc when compared to RB's Renault days.
  3. Is on Softs (when combined with the 2 points above means he most likely had grip to spare).

1. Arrived at the braking zone first. Yes there's overlap, but he has the right to defend the corner, not just give it up because you want him to.
  3. Shows no evidence of intentionally letting the car run wide when looking at steering input and listening to the engine.
Factoring all of this into it, is it not also possible that both Hamilton had understeer and Albon underestimated how wide his own back tyres are and turned in too early? I believe it was a racing incident; people calling for Hamilton to be nailed to a cross over this really needs to take a breather and look at all the angles without bias. I didn't know 6 time WDC's stop being human and can't make an error (understeer) and a driver who's still pretty much a rookie can have his part in the incident completely overlooked...but yea, it's Hamilton so he's automatically guilty.

I always here everywhere I go since I started Sim-Racing: "It's the job of the faster car to facilitate a clean, safe pass"...did that rule suddenly get thrown out the window? If there's any corner to provide a "clean, safe pass"...that corner ain't it. Albon clearly had the pace and could easily pass Hamilton about 3 corners later.
I don't care what people say about the line, they are also wrong. Since incident can't be viewed in 1 frame. With picture you posted, you also need couple of frames before and after, so you can see trajectory of each car.
Under braking, Hamilton is ahead, at this point Albon's responsibility is to brake as deep as he wants and not hit Hamilton. End of braking and start of turn in, Albon gets ahead, during this phase it is Albon's responsibility to turn without hitting Hamilton. On acceleration, he can accelerate first and does so, which makes him even more ahead. At this point it is Hamilton's responsibility as car without track advantage to turn without hitting Albon. Clear cut for me and covers "It's the job of the faster car to facilitate a clean, safe pass".
Similar incident: faster car on better tyres overtaking on the outside while getting ahead during braking and turn in. Then accelerates earlier while car on inside corrects turn in to avoid any contact. But doing so it makes a spin and gets blamed for that. Wonder what would happen then if other driver didn't correct and tried to accelerate in same way. :D

Do you really think Schumacher returned from retirement, to drive for a "new" team, hoping that he would win another title? Come on man.
What he was doing with Mercedes was developing a dominating TEAM. Not just a car, an entire team. He put his heart and soul into it and you see the results since then. That's why i never give any credit to Hamilton. Schumacher and Rosberg built this team.
I have the feeling that they're trying to do the same thing now with Alonso. He's will bring his "expertise" and help them develop a championship winning car, not chase another title. Not in his age.
No, I really don't. Schumi was always a team player willing to help his teammate.

Why do I feel a sense of deja vu when this sounds rather similar to when Michael Schumacher did his return to F1 after retirement, never seemed to be able to get his mojo back, but was still not shy about running people off the track.
Understandable, but I think there are a couple of reasons why this will be different.
1. Schumacher was away for 4 years and did virtually no racing bar a few tests for Ferrari. Alonso has been away for just two and has kept busy with Indycar, Dakar as well as had wins in IMSA and Le Mans.
2. There were already signs in 2005/2006 that Schumacher was no longer at his peak. So to make a comeback was that much harder. Alonso finished with McLaren driving as well as ever, and his results demonstrated it. This should work in his favour.

If Renault arrange some tests for him and maybe even a practice session or two, I suspect Alonso's comeback will have more success. I predict he'll score a podium in his time back as Schumacher did for Mercedes.

Please make it be true. Alonso's my fav ever driver along with M. Schumi & Senna.

P.S. LeClerc's drive last race reminds me of Senna/Schumi/Alonso drives. He didn't have the car but got the absolute best out of it. I really think LeClerc's drive last Sunday was something really special.
Me too @Spinelli!

I agree. I think he has the hallmarks of a great. I'm still blown away even today by the determination and relentlessness of Alonso in some races, Baku 2018 for example. Leclerc is definitely a fighter and reminds me a lot of Alonso.

not sure if this is a good thing or not. but i can be sure that there is sure to be good racing from him if the car is fast? if it isnt not sure i can take another few years of him moaning about a team all the time.

i am not sure why this is a shock to people. he was underperforming, crashing and just not doing the job he was paid for. he has lost his spark after he left red bull i think. i would not be surprised if he goes to another f1 team but i dont think he will ever be a top contender again.

View attachment 386484

On this moment the Redbull have not the best aero package.. they struggle a lot with the new suspencion, new car new season on this moment a lot of struggle for RB.

Agree with Appie, it was a race accident. Nobody,s fault. Let them race

No, I really don't. Schumi was always a team player willing to help his teammate.

Er ... MS' Modus Operandi was to absolutely dominate his team mates (and rivals) into submission using any and all tricks available.

A winner? Insofar as dirty tactics and getting away with cheating is your thing, sure.

Absolutely nothing wrong with his work ethic, though. And his racecraft was pretty special, even if it was as dirty as you're going to get without getting black-flagged.

Last edited:
I really think LeClerc's drive last Sunday was something really special.

So did the man himself. He's certainly tenacious, I'll give you that.

While the Ferrari trails both Merc, RB, RP and McL in qualifying, I have my doubts whether the Ferrari really is slower than the McLarens in race trim. It's clear that they have more drag now than last year, so they're relatively slow on the straights (if a ~750kg car producing ~1000bhp could ever be called "slow").

EDIT: Forgot to add "in qualifying" when I first wrote the post. Weird.

Last edited:
He can do that with gentlemen racers but he can't qualify in the top 33 at Indy. Alonso will struggle in a modern F1 car.

Says you.

I say he will be a bit rusty in the first race or three until his physique relearns the speed and force with which things happen in F1.

I think one underestimates Fernando Alonso's sheer hunger, drive and ability at their own peril. He's one tough cookie.

I think one underestimates Fernando Alonso's sheer hunger, drive and ability at their own peril. He's one tough cookie.

+1
Few drivers are brave enough to take on the Dakar. Not to mention he had the guts to put his reputation on the line by relearning and adapting to other categories and styles of racing. I think he is the most adaptable race driver I have ever watched.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back