Alonso: 'Button the best in wet conditions'

mclaren-canada-button-wet-01.jpg

Fernando Alonso has heaped praise on Jenson Button's race craft in wet conditions, claiming the McLaren driver possesses a unique confidence in uncertain conditions.

It's true that the 31-year-old excels in wet to drying conditions, proven by his two wins this season in Canada and Hungary, both of which were rain affected races.

Indeed it was a similar story in 2010 when he won the Australian and Chinese grands prix, which were also hit by showers.
Even his first win, at the Hungaroring in 2006 with Honda, came about thanks to the rain and the conditions it presented, which makes Button a safe bet, according to the Spaniard.

"He is always a safe bet," Alonso told TotalRace. "He is always best in these [wet/uncertain] conditions. Each driver has a strong point and this is a quality he has and we do not.

"We have to learn from him. He always has the perfect strategy and absolute confidence to drive in these situations, which is his strong point," added the Ferrari driver.

Man, I love that our members reckon they are better judges of F1 drivers relative speeds in the wet than Alonso, who actually does it and races against them. :D

This is why the Internet always wins :good:

Stuart, I'm confused.
Is that comment aimed at those of us that think that Hamilton's better in the wet, with Button better in changeable conditions?

Please explain

Man, I love that our members reckon they are better judges of F1 drivers relative speeds in the wet than Alonso, who actually does it and races against them. :D

This is why the Internet always wins :good:
I hope you do understand that Alonso does this to draw attention to himself. This is s trick that the media likes to use and his sponsors have probably forced him to.
If we go and ask the whole world who watches F1 for like 10 or even 30 years. I am sure the majority of the judges will have the same opinion. (I am not saying that the opinion that the guys state here is correct or wrong)

But to make things short, the question is, why say that Button is the best driver on wets. His motive might be to make the other championship contenders lose there confidence/ not be in the mental state that makes them so fast. (specially Vettel because he have had some very good races on wet, not all the time but some times)
Or he might really belive that Button is the best driver on wet. (after giving his reasons to why he belives Button is the best driver on wet he might be preaty much correct and we all wrong. Who knows)

Stuart, I'm confused.
Is that comment aimed at those of us that think that Hamilton's better in the wet, with Button better in changeable conditions?

Please explain

It's not really aimed at anyone per se, I just like the fact that people have such strong beliefs in what they think that they are able to disagree with someone who's got a lot more first hand knowledge than them.

There's no agenda beyond that.

It's not really aimed at anyone per se, I just like the fact that people have such strong beliefs in what they think that they are able to disagree with someone who's got a lot more first hand knowledge than them.There's no agenda beyond that.
Just makes you sound as though you're implying that unless you're an F1 driver, your opinion is wrong

Hamilton sucks @ wet races and transitions to dry. why, look at 2008, 2009 and this years races, he either spun, braked way to late and lock up the front and also his forecasting in what tyres to use suck. Button so far has nailed strategy wise and finished the races.

Button could have done well in Spa 2010 if Vettel hadn't harpooned him as a result of that cheat wing. From the exterior shots you could see the front wing droop down heavily under braking, so I don't blame Vettel for this, rather Adrian Newey.
I heard that after Hungary 2011, McLaren are going to base their wet/dry strategies on JB and Hamilton will just play along. Can't remember where I read that though, might have been a comment on F1 Fanatic.

lol @ the people who think Hamilton is a better racer than Jenson..

Look at the last 2 races where they was dry.. If it wasn't for JB's bad start, he would of been chasing down Vettle in a much much faster car... He was also the best driver in Spa..

He's overtaken more than anybody else this season, yes it is because of things like bad starts or getting whacked in T1 in Spa...

I'll quote Button.

"Hamilton is faster, but I am a better racer!"

I think that sums it up 100%

Button is a lot better when it comes to racing.. Also.. Look at his 2 dnf's this season. Not 1 was his fault of falling off the track or ramming into someone.. For me. Button is a far better all round driver over Hamilon.

Also. Look at Hamilton before Button went to McLaren, Hamilton had the personality of a wet fish.. It's only since Button joined them, that Hamilton has developed into a person..

Button Wins !!!! :)

lol @ the people who think Hamilton is a better racer than Jenson..

Look at the last 2 races where they was dry.. If it wasn't for JB's bad start, he would of been chasing down Vettle in a much much faster car... He was also the best driver in Spa..

He's overtaken more than anybody else this season, yes it is because of things like bad starts or getting whacked in T1 in Spa...

I'll quote Button.

"Hamilton is faster, but I am a better racer!"

I think that sums it up 100%

Button is a lot better when it comes to racing.. Also.. Look at his 2 dnf's this season. Not 1 was his fault of falling off the track or ramming into someone.. For me. Button is a far better all round driver over Hamilon.

Also. Look at Hamilton before Button went to McLaren, Hamilton had the personality of a wet fish.. It's only since Button joined them, that Hamilton has developed into a person..

Button Wins !!!! :)
Hamilton could retire 5 times as much as Button and still have more points at the end of the season, considering thats the point of the championship to actually score points, Hamilton wins.

Button just lacks a huge chunk of speed to Hamilton that will always make him 2nd to him even if he may have a few qualities that might be better then Hamilton.

Errr *YEAH* ok... Buton is ahead in points this season and with his 2 DNF's as well... So where you get from I have no idea... lol. Not a good argument.

Also look at Webber v Button.

Webber with 100% a better car and in Monza it was his only DNF this season and yet Button is ahead in points / wins..

I agree that Hamilton is faster in Qually, but Button has make a lot better choices during the races over Hamilton..

Ohh. Don't forget the DRY Monaco where Button was ROBBED for that Stupid tyre change on the last few laps where he was the quickest man.. You know Monaco.. The No 1 DRIVERS Track !!! Whats Hamiltons results on that track over the years. ??? *cough cough* lol

Also just another fact! Button has overtaken Hamilton more times that Hamilton has on Button. You can't argue with facts.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back