AIW in crossover tracks

Kyle Puttifer

@Simberia
I have a track where the pitlane goes over the main track, as shown in the screenshot. The trouble is, whenever the AI cars go under the tunnel while racing, they slow down to about 20/30mph, when I can easily go through the tunnel at about 100/120mph. I've tried the ISI AIW editor, along with layman's guide, but it's just too complicated.
When racing the AI on the track, I have to set the strength to 120% just for their lap times to be similar to mine. However, this means they are overpowered in the corners, and this tunnel issue cancels that out. I get left trailing about 5 seconds during a lap, and when I get to the tunnel I am suddenly only a second behind. This really ruins the racing for me, and as I don't play online, AI is important. I don't want to change the layout of the track, because this was my original plan and I really like it.
If you want to have a look at the AIW, the track can be found here: http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Croydon Grand Prix
Download v1.6.
There are no nodes under the tunnel, so there are no sudden changes of direction.
This has been a problem right from when I started this track, and I still haven't found a solution. Help?

Attachments

• aiwprob.jpg
    aiwprob.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 382
It is a big pain int'harse, but seeing as BTB wasn`t quite finished to perfection, i think its the best we`re getting lol

Also Alex, when you`ve done your cut 'n' shut, i`d be interested to know if the map plugin works with your track.
I`m trying to find a reason why it doesn`t with mine, and i`m guessing its this AIW method, but not been able to test it as of yet.

Care to be my guinea pig? :)

Sure thing... Might take a while though - it's a long track..! Hope to make some progress on it tonight if RL doesn't get in the way.

i had a error downloading it. Archive damaged. (translation Dutch: onherstelbaar beschadigd archief.)

edit: When playing rFactor i get an error too: binkw32.dll.

edit 2: I reinstalled rFactor and now the files work. So this is solved.

Well, first good news #1: I think by using the ISI tools I have managed to get the centrelines to cross over one another for my figure of 8 track. They were broken when imported from BTB, but it now clearly passes over itself....:D

Good news #2: I have performed a cut n' shut - (get in....!Thanks Kris) I pasted in all the pit positions, grid positions, aux positions, garage positions, etc, from a BTB generated AIW file, into an AIW created in the ISI tools. :cool:

Bad news #1: For some reason, don't know why, I cannot seem to record the fast path. I've followed MadCowie's AIW tutorial video (thanks for the vid dude) to the letter, but it won't work. Fast path will show but just seems to stay exactly like the centre line. :frown: However, I successfully managed to record the centreline, find the corridors, and record the pit path (although the pit man has his back to me and is pointing in the wrong direction...??)

Bad news #2: I've tried to be your guinea pig Kris, but for some reason, my rFactor will not run if the DLL file d3d9.dll is present in the rFactor folder, and the rFactor MapPlugin1_05 by fazerbox says its required. This DLL was installed when I installed TV-style once. TV style worked for ages, and then all of a sudden stopped working. Somehow worked out that d3d9.dll was the culprit, not sure why it worked then stopped working. So the upshot is, I can't run map plug-in and be a guinea pig until I solve this issue....! :mad: My system is a vista home 64 bit. Got the latest nvidia drivers and SPs.

Well, first good news #1: I think by using the ISI tools I have managed to get the centrelines to cross over one another for my figure of 8 track. They were broken when imported from BTB, but it now clearly passes over itself....:D

Good news #2: I have performed a cut n' shut - (get in....!Thanks Kris) I pasted in all the pit positions, grid positions, aux positions, garage positions, etc, from a BTB generated AIW file, into an AIW created in the ISI tools. :cool:

Bad news #1: For some reason, don't know why, I cannot seem to record the fast path. I've followed MadCowie's AIW tutorial video (thanks for the vid dude) to the letter, but it won't work. Fast path will show but just seems to stay exactly like the centre line. :frown: However, I successfully managed to record the centreline, find the corridors, and record the pit path (although the pit man has his back to me and is pointing in the wrong direction...??)

Bad news #2: I've tried to be your guinea pig Kris, but for some reason, my rFactor will not run if the DLL file d3d9.dll is present in the rFactor folder, and the rFactor MapPlugin1_05 by fazerbox says its required. This DLL was installed when I installed TV-style once. TV style worked for ages, and then all of a sudden stopped working. Somehow worked out that d3d9.dll was the culprit, not sure why it worked then stopped working. So the upshot is, I can't run map plug-in and be a guinea pig until I solve this issue....! :mad: My system is a vista home 64 bit. Got the latest nvidia drivers and SPs.

Glad you got somewhere with your AIW editing :)

Shame about the fastpath. I didnt find this a problem myself, and i was following Madcowies tute too.

Dont worry about being my tester. Get your track sorted for now. Then when your done we can chat about that :)

The fast path: the editor for some stupid reason only remembers your fastest lap when you are doing it. Once you start a lap, on the menu top left is an option to 'delete fastest lap' or 'reset fastest lap' - sorry can't remember the exact wording. Click on this and it will reset. Finish your lap very slowly, then do the fast path the next lap - or click on it while doing the fast path if you've a long straight! It could be that BTB imports a preset faster lap that you're not bettering.

Pit man - don't know if it will work, but try altering the line 'LeftHandedPits=0' to 'LeftHandedPits=1' in the AIW file.

The fast path: the editor for some stupid reason only remembers your fastest lap when you are doing it. Once you start a lap, on the menu top left is an option to 'delete fastest lap' or 'reset fastest lap' - sorry can't remember the exact wording. Click on this and it will reset. Finish your lap very slowly, then do the fast path the next lap - or click on it while doing the fast path if you've a long straight! It could be that BTB imports a preset faster lap that you're not bettering.

Pit man - don't know if it will work, but try altering the line 'LeftHandedPits=0' to 'LeftHandedPits=1' in the AIW file.

Chub, thanks alot man. Fast path tips worked a treat. I succesfully recorded a fast path and just had a quick race round the circuit to test it with a full field of cars. Figure-of-8 layout no problems at all. Someone once said on here (might have been you actually) that once you get used to the ISI rFactor AIWCAM Editor tools its actually quite easy and it's true. Together with the Kris Vickers Cut 'n Shut Technique(tm) for pits and grids I think I'll do all my AIWs this way from now on. :) Thanks lads.

No joy on the pit man though. The setting was already at 1, so changed it to 0, but still no joy.

Wish I could work out why I have a problem with d3d9.dll also.

Ah well, at least I got one of them right :)

I remember the pit guy facing the wrong way coming up in a post ages ago, but haven't been able to find it. Are your garages in the pit lane or somewhere else? A screenshot from the editor showing the waypoints and paths by the garage positions might help.

To be honest, you don't need to do any cutting and pasting. Once you've done the grid, pits, garages and the aux positions for the pace car in BTB and exported the AIW, anything you do in the ISI editor like deleting all waypoints to redo the paths or doing a fresh fast path won't affect those positions at all. They'll all stay where they are unless you edit them in the ISI editor.

How do start a rally cross AIW? A separate line from start turning in the ring.

I don't know if that's possible.

The only thing I can think of is if the finish line is adjacent to the start line, you could try extending the Start Gate to cover both and make a new pit extension running down to join the track at turn one and put the grid on that. I've no idea if it would work in practice though.

Attachments

• start rally cross2.jpg
    start rally cross2.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 292
In BTB export settings, there's a 'Fastline darkness / width' slider control. Is this linked to any of the settings in rFactor? I is it something that can be edited in any of the track files? Or is it purely a BTB cosmetic add-on at the time of export?

The line in the Waypoint section of the AIW file starting GrooveWidth= controls the width of the racing groove on track, so I guess that's what the width slider does in BTB. It's simpler to adjust it by editing the AIW file in Notepad though.

Don't know about the darkness part of it though.

Personally I'd advise against just doing the fast path in the ISI editor. I have a suspicion that there is some kind of mismatch between the waypoints as calculated in BTB and those calculated by the ISI editor. I know that in previous versions of BTB [before it did the AI] you always had to delete the centre line as calculated by BTB when using the ISI editor and replace it with a new one in the ISI editor or you got problems with missing corridors and stuff like that. Better to use BTB to set up pit, grid and garage positions, then delete all waypoints in the ISI editor and do all the paths and corridors from scratch with the editor.

I just imported a track fresh out of BTB (with all the pits, grids, etc set up) into the ISI AIW editor, and all I replaced were the corridors and recorded a fast path. Everything else seems to work perfectly. What is the mismatch you refer to?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back