AI physics fake?

Here's two video MP mode and SP mode, you can see the mp mode every cars have bounces, bumps , roll animations but you can't see it in sp mode (Only players car have). The AI movement very simple and weird. I just don't understand why dev can implement those animation for all cars in mp mode but can't do it for sp mode AI. I have play assetto corsa and the AI physics movement very natural... I had mention this many time but no one responds ... can dev give me an answer about this?

MP mode

SP mode (Replay start at 10:35)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSqwuDmXD28

AI car - Here the slow motion video show that the car didn't have suspension movement, it just looks like the tire and cars body is not build separately.
The only thing I notice is that you don't take the corner the same way as the AI making your car to roll more on the kerb exit.

When I watched my replay and toggled to an AI car, I couldn't see any clear difference between the behavior on that car and mine..

Anyway.
As long as the AI behaves as good as they do on the real races it's fine by me, mostly I have my own car in focus on the replays, so I can't say I have noticed this at all before.

Its probably just a graphics issue... to save GPU resorces... It happens in GSCE as well... but never to my car even if I have it controled by the AI.
Like in codemasters first F1 games... when racing in the rain only the players car sprayed alot of water... (at least on the consoles versions) the console GPU could handle all cars spraying like the players car...

Regarding the physical I don´t know. But graphically this game uses tricks to lighten the PC; in ADAC 2014 there is a bug where the player's car is superimposed on one of the AI during the pit stops. There you can see the details of the other car are greatly reduced.

Maybe happen with the physics.

Last edited:
reading that , you havent spent much time with the ai , racing R3e against them ... or spent time using adaptive ai

I've spent over 100 hours in the game in single player.

I have tried it but it seems to go

- Win trivially
- Lose
- Win but less trivially from here on out.

Again the qualifying thing seems to break it because if they are as good as you in qualifying you trivially beat them in the race and no amount of programmed in "race type behaviour" matters if you are 1 or 2 seconds a lap faster than everyone else.

At least in the free content. Perhaps with different tracks and cars there are some where you need to set over 100% and others where you need less for the AI to match. But, given I have one track and a couple of cars to play with, adaptive AI doesn't really achieve much.

At that point - when I was winning but less trivially, I wanted to stretch myself and not just win every race so I started using the %age setting.

I can easily set the slider to a %age where I can see the lap times the AI get and know where I will be (ignoring, as I said, the bonus they get in qualifying)

What I do is threefold

- Set the AI to a low percentage so I can learn a track by driving around following them in an easy relaxed way. i.e they are slow, slow, slow.

- Set the AI to a percentage where just a couple of them are quicker. So I can ride around in the practise like above but now I try and keep on the tail of the 2 faster drivers (and hence get better myself)

- Set the AI to a percentage to have fun - like a race where I'm in the middle of the pack after qualifying and I try to win.

Of course in a race it isn't just about lap times. Perhaps this is what some of you like, the illusion they have created of human drivers, with spins and behaviour? Sure. That's pretty good. The niggles I would have is the ridiculous flashing of the lights and brake light spamming, c'mon Sector 3, it was silly in race 07, drop that from this game please.

I said it was an illusion but it's a reasonable illusion. I just think for the 2 things I described above when it comes to me using the AI to learn to drive faster (by either watching them in 'race monitor' or by chasing them trying to sit on their tail and hence, get the same time in each sector as they do) AI that have the same physics as you would work better.

As, obviously, if they get more grip or better brakes etc, you cannot replicate that.

Maybe I'm wrong though. Right now I'm about 1.1 seconds off the top of the Bridge leaderboard which is about 1:06.7, around 20th or so and when I watch the AI doing 1:05.xxx laps and compare with the leaderboard ghosts doing the same times, I'm thinking it's obvious things aren't the same, but perhaps it is possible to do the AI's lap in the players physics. Only time will tell.

Last edited:
I've spent over 100 hours in the game in single player.

I have tried it but it seems to go

- Win trivially
- Lose
- Win but less trivially from here on out.

Again the qualifying thing seems to break it because if they are as good as you in qualifying you trivially beat them in the race and no amount of programmed in "race type behaviour" matters if you are 1 or 2 seconds a lap faster than everyone else.

At least in the free content. Perhaps with different tracks and cars there are some where you need to set over 100% and others where you need less for the AI to match. But, given I have one track and a couple of cars to play with, adaptive AI doesn't really achieve much.

At that point - when I was winning but less trivially, I wanted to stretch myself and not just win every race so I started using the %age setting.

I can easily set the slider to a %age where I can see the lap times the AI get and know where I will be (ignoring, as I said, the bonus they get in qualifying)

What I do is threefold

- Set the AI to a low percentage so I can learn a track by driving around following them in an easy relaxed way. i.e they are slow, slow, slow.

- Set the AI to a percentage where just a couple of them are quicker. So I can ride around in the practise like above but now I try and keep on the tail of the 2 faster drivers (and hence get better myself)

- Set the AI to a percentage to have fun - like a race where I'm in the middle of the pack after qualifying and I try to win.

Of course in a race it isn't just about lap times. Perhaps this is what some of you like, the illusion they have created of human drivers, with spins and behaviour? Sure. That's pretty good. The niggles I would have is the ridiculous flashing of the lights and brake light spamming, c'mon Sector 3, it was silly in race 07, drop that from this game please.

I said it was an illusion but it's a reasonable illusion. I just think for the 2 things I described above when it comes to me using the AI to learn to drive faster (by either watching them in 'race monitor' or by chasing them trying to sit on their tail and hence, get the same time in each sector as they do) AI that have the same physics as you would work better.

As, obviously, if they get more grip or better brakes etc, you cannot replicate that.

Maybe I'm wrong though. Right now I'm about 1.1 seconds off the top of the Bridge leaderboard which is about 1:06.7, around 20th or so and when I watch the AI doing 1:05.xxx laps and compare with the leaderboard ghosts doing the same times, I'm thinking it's obvious things aren't the same, but perhaps it is possible to do the AI's lap in the players physics. Only time will tell.
1,ridiculous flashing of the lights? sure in some types of racing its a bit excessive but have you watched gt racing for example they have a bloody button dedicated to flashing their lights.

2,it's true the ai top lap times aren't possible but who cares that's not something to complain about. whats important is that you can have a clean competitive race in which the ai try to fight back of you overtake them but don't hit you unless you cut them off. i think its safe to say this is largely the case with r3e ai and i have hundreds of replays to back that up.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.