AI Gets stuck on grid at Race start

I saw and I've solved it. But I'm asking what are we disabling turning that item to 0.

We are disabling the new AI behavior :D

These are few tweaks which improve the AI behavior on the track, like the name already says. For example - the original AI, if spins of the track and standing with the back to the racline, is unable to continue and quit the race. While the improved AI manage to make a turn and continue....

So its a pretty cool feature, but causes often the "stuck at the start problem" So everyone must decide for himself if he en- or disable it :coffee:

Sometimes its caused by a gear mismatch:

Open the ai.ini and engine.ini inside the 'data' folder (if the car has a data.acd, unpack it with content manager first)
Make sure the Gears UP value in the ai.ini:

[GEARS]
UP=7900 (wrong value)
DOWN=4600
SLIP_THRESHOLD=0.95
GAS_CUTOFF_TIME=0.130

has a lower value, than engine.ini limiter

[ENGINE_DATA]
ALTITUDE_SENSITIVITY=0.1 ; sensitivity to altitude
INERTIA=0.120 ; engine inertia
LIMITER=7500 ; engine rev limiter. 0 no limiter
MINIMUM=1500 ; engine idle rpm
LIMITER_HZ=50

In this example the RPM needed to shift up is higher than what the engine limiter allows, so you would change the ai.ini value to something like 7200

It doesn´t work every single time, but it might be the case for the cars you´re trying to run.

If I open the DATA.acd file I get a lot of random symbols?

If I open the DATA.acd file I get a lot of random symbols?

again, you need to unpack the data with content manager first
data.PNG

Open the ai.ini and engine.ini inside the 'data' folder (if the car has a data.acd, unpack it with content manager first)

[GEARS]
UP=7900 (wrong value)
DOWN=4600
SLIP_THRESHOLD=0.95
GAS_CUTOFF_TIME=0.130

[ENGINE_DATA]
LIMITER_HZ=50

In this example the RPM needed to shift up is higher than what the engine limiter allows, so you would change the ai.ini value to something like 7200

It doesn´t work every single time, but it might be the case for the cars you´re trying to run.
thanks man, that works!

[GEARS]
UP=7900 (wrong value)
DOWN=4600
SLIP_THRESHOLD=0.95
GAS_CUTOFF_TIME=0.130

[ENGINE_DATA]
LIMITER_HZ=50

This solved the problem for me! Thanks Mitch

If after disabling the CM AI enhancements the opponents keep doing weird things.

1 Close CM
2 Verify that the AI enhancement ini file is set to = 0
3 Start the game from Steam
4 Run a race vs AI so that the original game ini is rewritten.
5 Close game and open from CM and test the AI

Last edited by a moderator:

[GEARS]
UP=7900 (wrong value)
DOWN=4600
SLIP_THRESHOLD=0.95
GAS_CUTOFF_TIME=0.130

[ENGINE_DATA]
LIMITER_HZ=50

Fixed it for me thank you

Ok, I've been into the problem this afternoon and figured out what is happening. Main problem is the left / right side lines broken close to the start/finish line. I used a CAD program to redesign the right line in this case, exported this as CSV, inserted in fastlane.ai using Esotic's Ai Line Helper and the AI cars now are perfectly starting when green lights. So it's not a game bug. If someone is facing this issue I can do a test to fix the issue on the AI cars keeps steady on race start.
fixed line.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I've been into the problem this afternoon and figured out what is happening. Main problem is the left / right side lines broken close to the start/finish line. I used a CAD program to redesign the right line in this case, exported this as CSV, inserted in fastlane.ai using Esotic's Ai Line Helper and the AI cars now are perfectly starting when green lights. So it's not a game bug. If someone is facing this issue I can do a test to fix the issue on the AI cars keeps steady on race start.View attachment 685497
I have this issue in Melbourne.

The 2nd car on the grid is never able to accelerate and I tried everything: recording fast lane, recording sidelines with aihelper, narrow those sidelines, i tried rolling start mod, RARE mod, disabling ai behaviour, and rain fx, and even csp, I've used ai_hints....
One day I realized that despite all that, when I load race, right sideline is missing from just behind the second car on the grid to the start line. When I trie to re-record it, it seems to never ever work in that exact space (as the rest of the re-recording changes indeed).

Of course, the hints, the fast lane, the RARE mod, all that makes it better in practice (where i can test that the ai can drive it and do a good lap time).

Things I noticed: the player's pit stop is just side by side with the second car on the grid (beyiond the pit wall, and pit lane).

Could you give me somne advice on how you did that ? Or whatever that looks or seems like a solution. I don't know if I could do what you say on your post cause I just started to learn some Blender, but I'm a huge noob with it.

Thanks if you read it and sorry for the long comment :)

I have this issue in Melbourne.

The 2nd car on the grid is never able to accelerate and I tried everything: recording fast lane, recording sidelines with aihelper, narrow those sidelines, i tried rolling start mod, RARE mod, disabling ai behaviour, and rain fx, and even csp, I've used ai_hints....
One day I realized that despite all that, when I load race, right sideline is missing from just behind the second car on the grid to the start line. When I trie to re-record it, it seems to never ever work in that exact space (as the rest of the re-recording changes indeed).

Of course, the hints, the fast lane, the RARE mod, all that makes it better in practice (where i can test that the ai can drive it and do a good lap time).

Things I noticed: the player's pit stop is just side by side with the second car on the grid (beyiond the pit wall, and pit lane).

Could you give me somne advice on how you did that ? Or whatever that looks or seems like a solution. I don't know if I could do what you say on your post cause I just started to learn some Blender, but I'm a huge noob with it.

Thanks if you read it and sorry for the long comment :)
Same here. Last days I've been struggling with Melbourne too, 2022 version. No matter what changes to the race line, pitlane and track borders I do, the start of the race is a crash with one of the first lines not able to move.

Last edited:

[GEARS]
UP=7900 (wrong value)
DOWN=4600
SLIP_THRESHOLD=0.95
GAS_CUTOFF_TIME=0.130

[ENGINE_DATA]
LIMITER_HZ=50

I'm very new to Assetto Corsa coming over from RFactor, and had this very probelm and this was a big help, thanks.

Trying to make an AI for Washington Street Circuit, and every car is stuck at the start when the lights go out on first boot. They roll forward about a foot and just stop - every single car in a 20 car grid. Simply restarting the session fixes the issue completely, but I have to do it every time I hit "Go" in CM. My side lines from the AI Helper app do not seem to be fractured like the poster had above, and my fast_lane.ai is perfectly weaved at the start-finish line. Tightening the pit lane line did not help either.

I'm at a bit of a loss here, because these new lines are basically ready for release, save for this one extremely annoying issue.

Would appreciate any advice from someone who may know. Cheers.

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 407 69.1%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 258 43.8%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 277 47.0%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 121 20.5%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 163 27.7%
Back