Adjusting to new rim

I’ve been racing exclusively with round 300mm rims for about three years and just purchased an Ascher F28 (285mm). After about six hours of practice, I am still struggling massively. Steering feels awkward and completely disconnected from the car, and I am uncharacteristically making tons of mistakes.

Is the 15mm really that huge of a difference, or is it adjusting to a Formula style rim, or both? I didn’t make any wheel range settings changes in iracing or true drive. Thank you.

Last edited:
I don't think you will have too many problems adjusting. It's always weird going from a larger rim to a smaller one. Fanatecs formula rims are very popular and are even smaller.

I used a converted fanatec formula for a long time, then a larger momo - which of course felt huge!. Then the Ascher so I knew it would be strange again.

Now I dont think twice and it will become part of you again, you will turn it as much as you need without thinking about it. I dont know how long the transition takes but pretty soon it will fell as natural as your old wheel.

Upvote 0
Additionally to the diameter of the wheel the weight could be a factor.

My opinion is that bigger and/or heavier wheels ( at least on consumer grade belt driven wheelbases) take away some of the "detail" of the force feed back.

So it could be the more or less FFB ( depending on the power of your wheelbase) that needs some getting used to.

( And maybe its just the expectation " i spend a hella lottta cash on ( nice ) equipment, why am i not winning everything. This could definitly happen to me:rolleyes:)

So give it some time on a relaxing drive ( maybe an afternoon cruise at LA Canyons :thumbsup:)
and things will get better again.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
I find the diameter of the wheel makes a huge difference to how the car feels, at least that's my excuse everytime I buy/build a new one (up to 7 now... :D).

From my experience, larger rims tend to be slower to turn which can make the car feel more planted, whereas smaller rims make the car feel snappier and more responsive. It's amazing what a difference 10-20mm can make.

And it's not just about the weight, I have a 280mm formula rim and a 310mm dtm rim, both made with the same materials, same grips, and I think are pretty similar weight, but they feel very different.

Stick with it, I'm sure you'll get used to it in no time.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back