ACC Version 1 Won't Have Competitive Multiplayer Events

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Matchmaker.jpg

A recent clarification by Kunos confirms Assetto Corsa Competizione won't feature online organised racing as part of their matchmaking functionality.

Having taken on something of a life of its own since the online functionality of Assetto Corsa was first discussed post early access release, Kunos Simulazioni have taken to the official forums to offer some clarification on what the online aspect of the title will look like come full release this May 29th - and to clear up some misconceptions around the meaning of "matchmaking" within the game.

Now I'll be honest on this one.. I'm not sure why people clamour for organised scheduled multiplayer racing, similar to the type of events seen in such simulations as iRacing, so this clarification from Kunos isn't personally much of a big deal to me - but, I've had quite a few community members reach out to me over the last 48 hours in various states of confusion and distress, so I thought it good timing to put together a feature and give us a space to discuss this in more detail...

According to the posting from Kunos, which can be seen below, the online multiplayer aspect of the sim will be broadly similar to what it is today, but the developers fully intend to continue working on what is already a very, very solid implementation after the game comes out of early access.

So probably nobody has read any of this anyway, and moved directly to the quoted passage before, so I'll leave off here and let you read and comment away...

We see some occasional confusion and rumors around what 1.0 will change in the Multiplayer system, how to interpret the word "Matchmaking" and especially what role the Competition (CP) rating will play.

Let's go straight to the point: 1.0 will not introduce fundamental changes to the ACC Multiplayer. We used the Early Access phase to introduce, develop and tune the most sophisticated "Pickup Racing" Multiplayer system we could ever imagine, and so far we are very happy how the approach begins to work out. We could preserve most of the aspects of a quickly paced, accessible system that made Assetto Corsa "1" as popular - while improving the situation in the aspects where that way to organize Multiplayer action has issues. We managed to develop and integrate our Rating system without subscription model or a huge shift in pricing. Despite the significant rewrite (which is a confession for a long term strategy) of highly relevant game-play aspects between versions 0.5 and 0.6, especially the Safety Rating is in a very good shape, while the deep integration into the whole system is expected to be a vast improvement especially considering the possibility to find good and clean races.

Of course, Assetto Corsa Competizione is close to be released at the end of May, which is not the end of the road especially in terms of Multiplayer racing. We will listen to the feedback, we will analyze our data and of course - finally - also regularly participate in the Multiplayer races - so an ongoing process of finetuning and improvement is to be expected.

We know there are users that expected us magically switch the focus and go for a completely different way to organize Multiplayer, basically by copying the other title with high competitive ambitions (and a very different scale, focus group, the resulting price price model and so on). It appears that the word "Matchmaking" was mistaken to describe the whole system of scheduled races, instead of just being a tool in the toolbox of suggesting servers that both match your driving/safety abilities, and additionally take care of your preferences and friends. The matchmaking aspect in ACC acts in a quite subtle way, and changes the whole driver flow dynamics (in a non-intrusive way) to overcome known disadvantages of server lists, like we have seen in other titles and also in the AC1 Minorating system.

I do not say we are not looking into our own interpretation of a non-pickup, and more competitive Multiplayer addition. Still, this would have the character of distinct events and being an addition, not a complete move from the Multiplayer system we chose to go for. But for 1.0, we are happy to have both a very solid Multiplayer base, a good concept of a server selection and a well working Safety Rating system including a fairly usable integration. The biggest disadvantage may be that the mechanics are subtle, and it's not crystal clear where the system has its strong points. Also make sure you are aware of especially the SA Rating, and we expect the Multiplayer action to be at least as enjoyable as in AC1 with a Safety Rating plugin.

And of course the list of potential improvements is long, and without a doubt we will receive a lot feedback to become even better during the next days and weeks.

For more about the SRO E-Sport GT Series, head over to the official forum and connect with your fellow eSport drivers!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Sometimes i think, the iRacing prices are just so high to bribe the competition for staying out of their business-concept:D

It seems so stupid not going after iRacing and yesterday i saw 4600 iRacers online and according to Steam Spy just 569 players at peak in ACC:whistling:

How can you call it an eSport ready game if there is no proper multiplayer support? I mean I don't really care if it is delayed by several months, but the community needs this. If you decided to focus only on one motorsport series (which I fully support) then you should provide us the best experience possible, maybe asking a monthly fee from those who are willing to pay if needed. (That way you can still keep the casual people who could race with each other.)

Difference may simply be that ACC is a single genre game? How many people in iRacing were only in GT3 at the time?
Seems you don't know iRacing that well. Just for the subscription price you can basically play MX5 on one track and the same with oval and dirt, so basically you have to pay for content to play anything remotely popular and fast or the crazy Radical that sucks. And you have to pay for 10 out of 12 tracks every season first (15 bucks each plus taxes) for every series or it's MX5-time. There are not many choices in iRacing and just very few series have more participation than SRS. GT3 is the most popular after MX5 i guess. You need over 200 bucks plus subscription to get a similar amount of content like in ACC.

I think a lot of people are missing a key part of this..
This game (so far) is GT3 ONLY...so the beauty is that every player online wants to race the same car class as you. So a couple servers set up for 20 min races with various classes and it should be at least decent.
Imo this is being blown out of proportion, but i didnt buy into any hype surrounding it. The driving in this game is amazing so that is #1 for me. Like Krpt Canadian, I race mostly late EST time as I am in Vancouver, but I already know of a Sunday and Monday night leagues coming up so I am happy.

Seems you don't know iRacing that well. Just for the subscription price you can basically play MX5 on one track and the same with oval and dirt, so basically you have to pay for content to play anything remotely popular and fast or the crazy Radical that sucks. And you have to pay for 10 out of 12 tracks every season first (15 bucks each plus taxes) for every series or it's MX5-time. There are not many choices in iRacing and just very few series have more participation than SRS. GT3 is the most popular after MX5 i guess. You need over 200 bucks plus subscription to get a similar amount of content like in ACC.
Thanks for the background on iRacing. You're quite right, I have no idea about iRacing, never played it, neither am I interested in it. The pricing model is the reason.

I'm strictly an offline racer, for multiple reasons, so this doesn't bother me one bit. I'm just anxiously waiting for version 1.0 so I can try Kunos simulations of Silverstone and Brands Hatch. I just love the tracks that have been released so far! :geek::geek::geek:
Hope you don't mind me asking, but how do you structure your offline racing? I like to do a bit of simracing most nights to unwind from work, but it is usually with the goal of getting ready for a league race...what keeps you motivated racing ai? Do you set a series schedule or something like that?

Hope you don't mind me asking, but how do you structure your offline racing? I like to do a bit of simracing most nights to unwind from work, but it is usually with the goal of getting ready for a league race...what keeps you motivated racing ai? Do you set a series schedule or something like that?

Im not him, ofc, but im also a offline racer. What i do to keep me interested? Hotlap. Day after day, track after track. AC, gladly, has over 200 tracks and over 100 cars, the track/car combo are almost endless.

Still, i rlly think ACC should have an iRacing/srs multi player model in it. And not in the month to come, it need it...yesterday

Also not him, but an offline racer (mainly) as well. I REALLY like the Hotstint mode in ACC, as it plays to my strenghts, which lie in being consistent rather than managing that elusive one best lap. Im interested to see what the Career Mode will be.

For racing the AI, in AC and AMS I created custom championships. For example, I recreated the 2017 Audi TT Cup series in AC with the correct tracks at the correct times of day down to the correct weather which was possible by using the GBW Suite mod back then. In AMS I did a "Road to F1" kind of thing with the existing championships starting with Karts and going through the Open Seater series, only advancing when finishing in the Top 3. I treat it as a sandbox basically.

I can fully understand this official statement / clarification both from a communication standpoint (to clear up any possible misconceptions and or wishful thinking) as well as from a business standpoint.

It seems Kunos never had found a viable economy behind offering a new multi player experience with ACC compared to traditional sim racing releases with multiplayer function such as rFactor, Assetto Corsa, …

It does cost money to run continuous multiplayer events, servers and support and bug fixes.
I think Kunos unfortunately has not found a viable business model for THEIR business behind running a more elaborate multiplayer offering with ACC but see ACC as a single license product to be hopefully sold to a large user base on PC ONCE, than be ported to console and sold to a larger user base ONCE again and simply focus on the next "SELL ONCE" video game … oh, it's not a game, it's a simulation.

I understand the reasoning behind this.

Still, … I am VERY disappointed by this situation.
So far into the early access (and coming from a experience with Kunos products since the original netKar Namie) I found that ACC offers in so many ways big improvements in several areas over current generation simulators such as rF2, Assetto Corsa, … (namely the new tire model, sophisticated aero model and highly sophisticated suspension model and finally having seemingly caught up with changing track conditions).

I had really high hopes these big improvements would also open the way to finally make THE NEXT STEP into the future with multiplayer simracing with the entire eSport marketing craze.

I truly expected Kunos to have something special in the works and at the very least did I expect Kunos from providing an ever continuing offering of live events, special events, competitions, diverse user engagement in ratings and competition.

iRacing and SRS have shown how incredibly successful and REWARDING a true championship and rating driven online multiplayer experience in virtual racing can be.
I had some of the best competition during the time when I actively raced with SRS - It was addictive!

I really expected Kunos to at the very least look very closely at SRS and iRacing and figure out a way to monetize this model and offer a similar service to the community - I never expected that to come free of charge and would happily have paid a subscription fee or a pay to race system.

Seeing now this official "clarification" and understanding that anything beyond the regular traditional user server based online activity was never on the table for Kunos is a MASSIVE DISSAPOINTMENT.

Kunos had (and still has) an amazing opportunity here to bring a new product to market and reinvent racing simulator based eSport. It seems to FIZZLE OUT with a farty sound right after the SRO sponsored eSport competition will end.

This paired with the bad news akin Marco shrugging his shoulders in a giving up gesture to the shortcomings of the UE4 engine limitations regarding one of Assetto Corsa's best features - it's incredibly good triple screen support and performance - is a bi get down for me.

I had high hopes for ACC. I like GT3 racing - It is not my favorite racing by far, but I like it. I love endurance GT racing and I had high hopes that ACC would offer many engagements in the future.

I am so glad that Assetto Corsa paired with the Custom Shader Patch + SOL and an endless variety of mods is just so good and still getting better that my hopes and disappointment in ACC really is trivial in the end.

Shame on Kunos to pull out like this.

No way ACC can do what iRacing can do without asking monthly fee? SRS is already doing it so? Yet SRS is not even close to iRacing pinkys... Paying for something somehow manipulates your brain to preserve your investment. While SRS service is similar, anyone can come and go with no strings attached. Honestly, a great idea from iRacing. That's the only thing they deserve credit. Free racers, I mean outside iRacing and RD events have lots of rouge drivers who don't care really care but to drive and waste everybody else's effort. Yes even in SRS you will encounter this once in a while. I'm pretty sure the same will happen in ACC if patrons wish to have iRacing-like matchmaking. I'm not claiming I know everything and evreything I know are true. That's just my experience.

Well it makes me appreciate SRS even more. It is a big big thing, considering that it is so problematic for a game studio to make it go....

Pay to be attached is most stupid thing to me IMO. I have heard such paradigm in so many times, and in so many times it has proven to be false.

I have played iRacing for a bit, and after being used to quality AC minorating races, and even races in SRS without minorating just with accidents penalty to points, I experienced iRacing to be significant step down in terms of quality racing. Also felt no difference in need to participate in racing compared to free platform like SRS, even when I had to subscribe to be able to play, to buy a car to be able to race, bought few tracks to be able to race.... (then missed automatic subscribtion...)

Let's see what rF2 brings.

SRS is great, I've raced a lot on there and it attracts lots of players - I've known it fill 4 servers for one event.

BUT.

What's the difference, really, betweem SRS and an open server?

• Well, you have to book on an SRS event.
  • SRS runs mods that you wouldn't otherwise be able to race online.
  • There's a safety / incident rating system
  • Race results are shown on a website
  • There's an appeal system for those involved in incidents
Hmm. A lot of that stuff I can do without.
  • I'm happy just to browse the servers and join the one with the highest SR and most players
  • Mods are a moot point in ACC
  • Snap
  • I would like to see results for a server displayed somewhere - if an ACC server API turns up I might write one for my servers
  • Appeals don't really mean anything. You're angry at the time, but 4 weeks later when your appeal is heard, you don't give a ****
Here's the things I think ACC multiplayer needs
  • Event cycling on servers. Be able to switch tracks on a server and keep players connected
  • Find a way of encouraging races somewhere other than Monza. It's sad that there can be 4 full Monza servers and none with Hungaroring. With only - what 6? tracks available, there are still 2 (Hungaroring and Paul Ricard) that hardly ever get raced on online
  • Championship servers. Cycle through a championship season on one server
  • Instant ban (or wipe out offender's SR) if lapped cars wreck leaders (it happens)
  • Nominated 'next server' if all servers are full. I see this a lot. 2 servers at 24/24 and 100 people sat hitting refresh until a space opens up. The game should nominate an empty server and direct all the refresh hitters to it

Now I'll be honest on this one.. I'm not sure why people clamour for organised scheduled multiplayer racing, similar to the type of events seen in such simulations as iRacing, so this clarification from Kunos isn't personally much of a big deal to me

Because that's what matchmaking implies in the context of simracing. Because that's the format that has been standard for simracing matchmaking. Because Kunos has used the word matchmaking.

Kunos have been very cleaver and ahead of the game here. I mean, given a focused selection of tracks and cars, what sort of crazy person is going to want to simulate an official season online?

No, much better, here are the tracks, here are some cars, go sort that s**t out for yourselves. And if you run VR or tripples, yeah, go sort that s**t out for yourselves too.

Here come the full Spa and Monza servers.

Excellent work. Can't wait for the DLC :(

ACC Approx 15 GT3 cars,10 tracks.Cost £35
Iracing 6 GT3 cars(2 very old ones),10 tracks,Iracing annual sub £100 .Cost approx £350

Sim racers need to understand that if you want something substantial that functions you have to pay for it.

It's fine to make a point but to say that people have to pay for a way overpriced service and consider that to be normal is just untrue.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 6.9%