AC VR Prep

I'm looking to get a Rift in the next few months and I had a few questions for those of you with some VR experience.

First off, anyone have any trouble finding the gear lever while wearing their headset? I'm sure you can learn it eventually, but I'm thinking that might be tricky for a while.

Secondly, what would you guys recommend I upgrade first for the best experience? I'm running an EVGA GTX970 SSC FTW GPU, 16GB RAM (forget the speed, but I've been running the same sticks since mid 2011), and I believe an i7 4790k CPU @ 4GHz (definitely 4GHz, definitely i7 4xxx, might not be that exact chip). Alone on track I currently hover in the 150FPS range on a single 1920x1080 monitor. I can't recall where I fall in a big field of AI but that's my preferred stomping ground so I want to make sure I can still do that.

I'm leaning towards upgrading RAM as it's quite old now, and upping that to 32 would also do me well for CAD work, but if I'll get a big bang for my buck upgrading something else I'm game. I just don't want to have to reduce graphics to keep a fluid 90FPS on the Rift. What is typically more important for VR?

Cheers

hey Ryno, glad you got it going mate ! Those settings sound pretty reasonable for a 970 and if you ever upgrade (get a 1080 when the price plummets) you will afford to bump things up somewhat.

I leave Post Processing off and use the Reshade file that is in Wagnums graphics mod. I don't use the clouds or any of the other stuff as it is tuned for 2D not VR. But it sharpens the image and improves it alot imho. I also bump up the Vibrance setting to 80 via the Nvidia Control Panel but that is to my liking and maybe to rich color saturation for most.

I have a 4K 40inch monitor so I am using a custom res of 2880x1620 with AC video settings which makes the menus very clear for me - but yeah they are pretty large and depending on whether the VR view is centered or not you can end up sitting in the car at the start of a race and the menu is way off up in the sky. What I do with every car is bring up the cockpit adjustment HUD (helmet icon on right) and get my settings how I like in the cockpit relative to the steering wheel, I like to sit a bit closer and higher up than default, then I save and next time when you come back to the car it is always perfect. Don't forget to map the Glance Left & Glance Right keys to some buttons on your wheel because when you hold both of those together it resets your VR view according to how you are seated. I never use any other HUD items except maybe gears and I just pin them to the side on the edge of my peripheral view.

Asysnchronous Space Warp in conjunction with Asynchronous Time Warp ( ASW & ATW) does a really good job of smoothing everything out although frame lockes to 45fps, so you can try adding the ingame AA to 2x and AF at x8 and it should handle it no worries. I run pixel density at 2.0 but actually 1.5 looks nearly as good.

Once you get used to the bit lower res you never look back. I race on the 40inch 4K screen from time to time and yeah it looks fantastic but I never last long and crave to actually being "in the cockpit" via VR where the sense of presence & visual clarity to me far outweighs the fancier high res graphics. Have fun mate :cool:

I've got my view reset in a handful of cars, but the menu is still always a bit high when I get back in them, unfortunately. It's not a big deal; I'll probably hide the position ticker across the bottom anyways so it really won't be noticeable.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back