AC: Stuttering reduction

What can a user do to reduce or eliminate stuttering even in practice runs where their are no other cars on the track?

With Lotus F1 on Monza track I sometimes get as many as 6 stutters per lap, sometimes its 0 which is great.

What is the key cause of stuttering when running AC local vs MP which involves network response time as well as AC MP implementation?

Background:

My system: CPU: Intel i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz (some small amount overclocking was installed from Main Performance)
Video: NVIDIA | EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti to 3 ASUS VE278Q 27” monitors 85hz refresh

I use a SSD memory for the AC install (The SSD is my C: drive)
My cpu usage is about 26% when AC is running. Processor Affinity shows all checked (0 to 8), Priority=Normal,
window resource monitor shows the cpus are getting used and none are any where near 100%, more like 40-50% and there are graphics showing PARKED cpus.

I turned off the car interior controllable items: no wheel, no driver arms.
I set Frame Limit to match my monitor max at 85.
FRAPS shows FPS will dip to 67 in some corners.
I tried reducing smoke generation and mirror resolution, I turned blur off completely.
I have not turn off HDR yet.
I have not tried to us msconfig and kill all background processes. I typically have firefox running in the background
which is the larger memory user (then Spyhunter4, explorer, LCore, office.bin, Steam....)
I have not tried to ALT-TAB out of AC when I see stuttering to see what is running with the resource monitor.
After I ran the resource monitor and looked at the CPU tab and saw a number of PARKED cpus I downloaded and ran a disable parking utility (edits the registry). This seems to have helped. Any problem with doing this?

http://coderbag.com/Programming-C/CPU-core-parking-manager

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

AC settings: Fullscreen Rendering ON | Triple Screen ON (6065x1080) | Vsync - OFF | Frame Limit - 85 | Aniso x 8 | AA x 4 | FXAA x 3 | Shadows -Low | World Detail - Maximum | HDR Color Sat On @ 92%| Smoke Generation – Low||Smoke in Mirrors OFF| Motion Blur - OFF | Mirror Resolution High| CubeMaps at Low | Faces per Frame - 4

Last edited:
Ok...so both you and Stelios use SSD as system disk, with esata interfaces?

Hmm...given your system specs, you shouldn't be experiencing these. This F1 2014 HUD...without it, no stuttering?

Seriously doubt anyone here is using an SSD internally through eSATA interface. If you read that somewhere in this thread, it was probably a typo and should have been SATA interface.

With 1.0 today, I got fewer jerks in a 9 laps but not 0 when I had turned on two 3rd party apps. (F1 2014 hud and Corner Performance) FRAPS show 2 jerks > 33msec. One at 250msec and one 370msec. Proof is in attachment. I did not see any yesterday with only Gears, Delta, and Pedal apps. Then today I tried 20 laps with F1 014 HUD turned OFF. No jerks.

Attachments

• acs 2014-10-17 08-21-27-78-Time.png
    acs 2014-10-17 08-21-27-78-Time.png
    49.5 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
I solved all of my stuttering problems today when I disabled the original revhunter app (which is in the process of being updated to a new codebase, apparently). As an experiment, you might try disabling every single app and pulling a bunch of laps. I use Corner Performance (no issues) but I've never tried F1 2014 hud... so maybe that's causing issues?

The only 3rd party app I have running now is ACTI. And I have the internal app Gears, Delta, and Performance. I still get some jerks not and then but with OV1 F1 2014 I get them almost every lap. I guess I should make sure jerks dont happen when ACTI is off.

I use SimRacing Dasboard on my tablet to display gears, delta, etc and toggle on screen apps off using its button box facility. With all apps off I don't get much stutter, but with it on I get at least a stutter per lap. I'll be upgrading my PC soon for pCARS so hope to get rid of stuttering all together.

I had Stuttering to in both SLI on and off, the way i fixed it was every time the game would load up, I would Press Alt and Enter together, and that would make it super smooth (I am using 2x GTX 670 and Windows 8.1) give it a try and I hope it helps you guys i only joined this forum just to tell you guys this!! lol

It switches between fullscreen and windowed mode (even if you don't see it, because is windowed borderless). If you start the game (not the launcher) in fullscreen, then alt-tab to switch to desktop, when you return the game is in windowed mode, so it loses performance.

yes i guess your right but did you try it? as every-time my game would start it was horrible and stutters, so wasn't smooth at all, even in video settings its set to Full screen, but when I start the game its always stuttering until I Alt and Enter, then its very smooth! just put Vsync on through game,
and Just put your graphics card setting for Vsync to application settings, and tell me if it solves your issue, and if it works that will make you happy... like it did for me!! and it was a quick and easy fix!!

I get some horrible stuttering in the game, especially last night when I tried Career Mode for the first time. I'm going to try some of the tips in here and hopefully it helps because it's pretty much unplayable in Career Mode as is.:(

Sorry my fault..i hadn't noticed two entries for acs.exe in my nvidia control panel. Adjusted it with your settings and the game looks amazing and get 120 to 140 fps.....Its like a new game. Thanks heaps . I have turned up shadows to low and still good but when i put to medium drops at the start of a race to 60. Thanks for your settings and knowledge..
I'm new to PC gaming and just trying to figure this stuff out so forgive me if this is a dumb question but...I went to my NVidia Control Panel and I also have two entries for AC but they are different like so:
upload_2014-12-1_20-50-25.png

upload_2014-12-1_20-51-18.png

Do I need both? I'm assuming only one of them is being used by NVidia? Can I delete one of them? Also, can someone post their entire setup for the NVidia Control Panel? I know different settings are mentioned here and there but there are a lot of things in the panel and I'm not sure if the default settings are correct for some of the items or if you guys have a different setup. I launch the game from a Desktop shortcut that goes to Steam if that matters.
By the way anyone please respond, I quoted @Jaysdamann for reference only.

Last edited:
Tim, I had no luck with the Nvidia Control panel. What you want is the Nvidia Inspector. It opens options that Control panel can't. Overriding AC application controls and playing around with the Inspector settings will probably be less frustrating.

Tim, I had no luck with the Nvidia Control panel. What you want is the Nvidia Inspector. It opens options that Control panel can't. Overriding AC application controls and playing around with the Inspector settings will probably be less frustrating.
I've been "Johnny" on the internet for 20 years, when I see my real name my first thought is always that you're talking to someone else:laugh:. Do you know a safe place to download Inspector? Most of the places I looked seemed kind of suspicious:cautious:

Johnny, tell Tim that http://nvidia-inspector.en.lo4d.com looks safe...
That was one of the ones I tagged as unsafe because "NVidea" was mispelled in the description:cautious:. Anyway I downloaded it. Deleted the Internet Explorer ridealong and I'm left with these three files:
upload_2014-12-2_8-58-6.png

The text document has no instructions it's a changelog. The application opens up to this:
upload_2014-12-2_8-59-4.png

When I try to open the .config file I don't have a program on my pc to open it and a search reveals its not a windows recognized extension:

upload_2014-12-2_9-1-26.png

First, is this the correct set of files? Second, now what?:geek:

That is your Inspector interface. Click on the wrench/screwdriver icon and that will bring up the options. Don't worry about the other files that were contained in download.

Antialiasing section -
Mode - override application
Setting - multisample 4x
Transparency Super Sample - 8xSGSS

Texture filter section -
Mode - User
Setting - 16x

Vsync - force on

Then start playing with the in-game settings till you find a nice balance.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • More leagues

Votes: 27 19.7%
  • Prizes

Votes: 25 18.2%
  • Trophies

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • Forum trophies