AC: Stuttering reduction

What can a user do to reduce or eliminate stuttering even in practice runs where their are no other cars on the track?

With Lotus F1 on Monza track I sometimes get as many as 6 stutters per lap, sometimes its 0 which is great.

What is the key cause of stuttering when running AC local vs MP which involves network response time as well as AC MP implementation?

Background:

My system: CPU: Intel i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz (some small amount overclocking was installed from Main Performance)
Video: NVIDIA | EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti to 3 ASUS VE278Q 27” monitors 85hz refresh

I use a SSD memory for the AC install (The SSD is my C: drive)
My cpu usage is about 26% when AC is running. Processor Affinity shows all checked (0 to 8), Priority=Normal,
window resource monitor shows the cpus are getting used and none are any where near 100%, more like 40-50% and there are graphics showing PARKED cpus.

I turned off the car interior controllable items: no wheel, no driver arms.
I set Frame Limit to match my monitor max at 85.
FRAPS shows FPS will dip to 67 in some corners.
I tried reducing smoke generation and mirror resolution, I turned blur off completely.
I have not turn off HDR yet.
I have not tried to us msconfig and kill all background processes. I typically have firefox running in the background
which is the larger memory user (then Spyhunter4, explorer, LCore, office.bin, Steam....)
I have not tried to ALT-TAB out of AC when I see stuttering to see what is running with the resource monitor.
After I ran the resource monitor and looked at the CPU tab and saw a number of PARKED cpus I downloaded and ran a disable parking utility (edits the registry). This seems to have helped. Any problem with doing this?

http://coderbag.com/Programming-C/CPU-core-parking-manager

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

AC settings: Fullscreen Rendering ON | Triple Screen ON (6065x1080) | Vsync - OFF | Frame Limit - 85 | Aniso x 8 | AA x 4 | FXAA x 3 | Shadows -Low | World Detail - Maximum | HDR Color Sat On @ 92%| Smoke Generation – Low||Smoke in Mirrors OFF| Motion Blur - OFF | Mirror Resolution High| CubeMaps at Low | Faces per Frame - 4

Last edited:
one wanderfull hickup free lap in a 458 in zandvoort and i thought " they solved it" but after one lap it's all back to hickup town - like before :(
btw i uninstalled audio drivers and deleted them, tried it with drivers from ms update... they offer realtek drivers... ok not working well .. at msi i downloaded a new w10 realtek audiodriver and now stutter is nearly totally gone in solo play... still the same hickups when i have ai ... i will let it go on w10 for a while and play on my w7 partition - this OS is crowded with programs for work, sql server and more and normal slow harddrive not really a dedicated OS setup for gaming but AC runs perfect on it... i will quit testing on w10 for now, thank you all and cu you on the track

Last edited:
I noticed the stuttering in my case has to do with the latest updates...since 1.2.1 the stuttering is not solved and always present in race mode, 8 AIs, no post effects, no high antialiasing, at 1080p, i5 2550k, gtx 560 and 8 GB ram. I tried the illegal version 1.1.6, no stuttering whatsoever, smooth as it gets and with far more eye candy turned on ;)

since the sutter caused by the fanatec wheel driver is gone i noticed that in the latest build 1.2.5 there are still lots of hiccups at vallelunga . I did the GT86 alien challenge yesterday and had a lot of hiccups, even did it a second time with gamepad to check if my wheel driver causes problems again but no, it is something about this track ... has anyone noticed this too ?

I rolled back to 314.44 nvidia drivers, and disabled all post processing, can confirm it worked for me. No stutter whatsoever, its fluent in 1080p approx at 80 fps. It looks like I had great hopes for my gtx560 non ti :D She has the speed to handle the special effects but I guess the lack of vram proved once again I need a gtx 960 upgrade ;)

Funny thing is, I tried today with post processing turned on, and guess what, no stutter...I havent made any changes on the operative system, same drivers, i5 2550k, 8 gb ddr3, gtx 560...What the hell is going on :/

Ive had no stutter issues with version 1.3 and 1.4. Since version 1.5 my stutter issues have returned.
I ran everything maxed out. Dropping AA in favour of FXAA has helped a bit but i still have a problem. Was forcing adaptive vsync from the Nvidia control panel but find sometimes before a stutter (even using normal vsync) there is a fps jump slightly above 60fps. WTF?

My setup is Windows 10 64 bit, 32gb RAM, i7 2600k @ 4Ghz. Os in on SSD and everything else runs off a normal hdd. 2x GTX980 in SLI running tripple HD Samsung displays on display port, avg fps according to the AC benchmark tool is 95 fps with only Fast approximate AA enabled.
I am also also running Simvibe and Dashmeter pro. T300 with g27 pedals running on usb using a Bodnar cable.
Previously Nvidia inspector used to sort out the problem but now it seems to persist...
Any ideas?

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Starting 1.4 or 1.3 AC switched to triple buffered vsync, no reason for Nvidia Adaptive.
Set in game frame limit to your monitor resolution and enable in game vsync.

Starting 1.4 or 1.3 AC switched to triple buffered vsync, no reason for Nvidia Adaptive.
Set in game frame limit to your monitor resolution and enable in game vsync.

Configured it as you recommended. The stutter issue is definitely reduced by a massive margin. I pick up a very little stutter every once and a while but one has to be very critical to pic it up. I'm still testing but so far but it is looking good. Ran a number of laps on Monza 66 and Bathurst and I am definitely pleased with the result although i do pic up is an effect that looks much like tearing that happens sometimes but at least it does not result with be off track. Fps locked unwaveringly at a solid 60 fps.

Thanks a stack mate, seems like you fixed my experience :)

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 143 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 270 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing