ABS is not off?

Hi just got this game i drive with no driver aids and have just installed this live timing app, and i see that others with same car and track and have all driver aids off for them, it shows abs 0% but for me it shows 35% even though i have all turned off?
Is there anything am missing?

@Bram Hengeveld I am using default setups because I don't know anything about setting up a car...the default setups in AC feel really good and when I am 3 seconds off of somebody here or 5 seconds off there I doubt it is all setup...maybe a second of it, maybe, but the rest is me.

I was doing my part to be helpful to new guys and had a nice discussion going with @LazyBug and a couple others giving pointers how to learn car control and such...i guess the thread was in the wrong place because yesterday morning it was gone...not moved, not locked, just effing gone. The thread was started because he was asking about setup help and since it apparently was in the wrong place it got shitcanned. There was some pretty good info there (he is running two seconds a lap quicker at Magione after less than two days without touching the setup). I'll quit ranting about that but when it was gone I was decently pissed off.

I wish I knew about setting up a car and I have tried to learn but even with the internet and a handful of functioning brain cells it is difficult. Over at the official AC forums I have been begging the "hardcore old school sim-racers" to remember that there is alot of new blood coming into our genre with AC and when they ask questions we should answer them, instead of having an elitist attitude. Once online is open most of the newbies will go to the next shiny thing within a couple weeks of getting their asses handed to them. But there are already quite a few, and there will be more, that get bitten by the bug and have bought wheels. They are asking how to set them up and I have answered as many as I can; we need all the new blood in our niche genre as possible.

You do need to realize that there are guys that for them hotlapping and trying to get that perfect lap is what they like most about sim-racing. It may not be your cup of tea and for me it is simply something to do to kill time but for some it is the reason they love the genre.
Remember that there are many reasons we all love this genre and no one reason is any more important than another. Except for the intentional wreckers, F them.

Oh it's my cup of tea as well when I am in the mood but I don't feel the need to show off like some people need to do lately. The moment words as world records are dropped i am out as I am highly allergic to that :)

Ramon wrote a nice setup guide for RACE 07 years ago that still is used by plenty of people that are new to racing. Give it a try as its a nice base to start from http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/racedepartment-setup-guide.1085/

Not sure if the content all matches AC but at least it explains the basics (and it has babes :D)

I made some laps in practice mode at Magione and little Silverstone and didn't run faster than my miracle lap but still made some interesting observations. Firstly, I will never run a more perfect set of lines at Magione that I did on my miracle lap. How somebody ran a second faster hurts my brain even though setup and no tire wear could be maybe half of it. With TCS on I came really close to bettering my time.

I then went to little Silverstone (international?) and maybe its because at that track the way I go fast is hanging the rear end out like a madman using TCS tightened the car up overall (almost like stability control) and the advantage I would get just mashing the throttle down was more than negated by the car not doing a damn thing I wanted it to entering the turns.

And then Imola I can't come close to the lap I ran with TCS if I don't have it on...

So after a bunch of testing I am even more confused that when I started...guess I will go test some more!

I made some laps in practice mode at Magione and little Silverstone and didn't run faster than my miracle lap but still made some interesting observations. Firstly, I will never run a more perfect set of lines at Magione that I did on my miracle lap. How somebody ran a second faster hurts my brain even though setup and no tire wear could be maybe half of it. With TCS on I came really close to bettering my time.

I then went to little Silverstone (international?) and maybe its because at that track the way I go fast is hanging the rear end out like a madman using TCS tightened the car up overall (almost like stability control) and the advantage I would get just mashing the throttle down was more than negated by the car not doing a damn thing I wanted it to entering the turns.

And then Imola I can't come close to the lap I ran with TCS if I don't have it on...

So after a bunch of testing I am even more confused that when I started...guess I will go test some more!

Michael I wouldnt beat yourself up so much about TC.
Sure I have found it quite fun playing with the various modes on the 458, but really where I find most pleasure driving is with no TC at all, and therefore I will only set a hotlap without TC. I leave ABS exactly how the real car is.
Im not concerned with overall time leaderboard wise. There will always be folks who can find 5 secs from 'somewhere' assisted / not assisted or whatever - I dont let this bother me. I know the guys who drive in my weight class, I have a few people who I measure myself who have moved over to AC that I know from previous sims. Soon we will be able to actually compete wheel to wheel rather than using a leaderboard to measure ourselves.
I think from what I read on here, you have a similar philosophy to me, so leave that TC off and have fun!
I am trying to consistently lap on default setup rather than go for out and out (sometimes uncontrolled!) speed. I find its easier to see if setup tweeks are helping or slowing you down. Eventually times will come down too. I also try not to make too many adjustments, especially at the same time. The default is pretty good, so more a matter of bringing the car to you and fine tuning. Im not sure any setting will find 5 secs.

Damn ive been away from home since Monday - I miss AC so much!

I would agree with what Paul has written here above and just wanted to say that there will always been people who think it's not hard enough or that using aids in any form is "cheating" but for me the number one thing is - and always will be - that I am having fun. (and I am having soooo much fun in AC.) Can't imagine how much fun we will have when mp/ai arrives....

I never have and never will use TC, not because I think I am an super duper racing driver - far from it - but because I think it is so much more rewarding and fun to drive without it, feeling the back step out and being able to catch it (well sometimes anyway... ;) ) is very satisfying imo.

Besides, there will always be some naturalborn alien that will be faster somehow, but I really don't mind or let it bother me as long as I enjoy myself when playing. :)

It's just kinda weird that at Imola TCS feels completely natural; not obtrusive at all. At Silverstone I can hardly make a lap with TCS on it is so obtrusive. If you like to hang the back end out (and who doesn't) I can't recommend enough for you to make laps in this car at either of the Silverstones.

I haven't read every single post but realism for me means you use what is used in real car. If it uses TC in real life, you should use it as well. Somebody mention about flighsim community that it's mature and helpful or something. Every group, community (aka group of people with the same goal or hobby) is a group of people. And it's not possible that the group consits only on helpful, mature people. Everywhere you people who hate sth or sb, that it sucks. What is clear is that we're approaching a new era of simracing, one or a couple of steps closer to realism. We'll definitely see some simdrivers who used to be quick but now they won't be that good and thus complaining etc. It all depends what personality you have and how do you understand realism. It feels real because I'm still in front or it's not real because I used to be quick and now with more features which are closer to reality i'm not that quick anymore and thus it means this simracing game sucks and I'm unhappy etc. I don't mind if somebody switch off TC which is used in the real car but I do mind if somebody does so and says he is great and does great laptimes and everybody who uses TC is a loser, worse etc. But, as I said, it all depends on person's character.

Isn't toe settings how good your feet fit in yer nikeeeee's?

I haven't got a clue about settings.....I hit play whatever in Logitech profiler.....seat in seat, pick car, push throttle, try to push brake, turn wheel, eat tyres.......then do it all over again.

I'm sure I'll get the hang of it one day, but for now my cars are painted bright yellow, with caution wide load and slow moving vehicle stamped all over it.

:barefoot:

I totally agree with those examples. However there are other examples such as the flightsim community, that should be our focuspoint. Really mature and above all very friendly and helpful.

Bram is so correct here .....

I came from the flight sim community, which explains why I am so nice ;) :p

I used to be on the Staff of British Airways Virtual, and they are extremely helpful and professional. Actually they are the only Virtual Airline that is officially approved by their real airline counterpart. British Airways wouldn't allow their name and trademarks to be used without this professionalism, maturity, and helpfulnesses being rigorously proven to their lawyers and marketing departments. :)

You mention "toe settings". Go ask an average Joe what that is and you will be shocked what kind of answers you get back :)

Regarding the toe settings ....... unfortunately whatever I set them to, I always get holes in my socks. This is where Christmas comes in handy ..... new socks :D :p

I doubt it's worth the effort, because humanity in general forgets to say thank you nowadays not to mention, being a Hungarian, there would be more comments about my accent and English, than actually constructive criticism.

I think you need to modify your personal view of "humanity". You might be surprised by the results if you do.

In the RD GTL Club (admittedly we seem a little more friendly / helpful than other areas of SimRacing), we regularly exchange setups within the community, virtually for every on-line race. The "faster" drivers (or those more familiar with setting up the cars) ALWAYS make their setups available, and mostly will help the less experienced (or slower) drivers to improve during the practice sessions. I hear lots of thank you's and people are very appreciative and everyone behaves like a genuine community. It has also kept a rather old Sim alive here and seems to attract drivers who want to maintain the community spirit.
And guess what, even after giving fellow drivers their setups, the "faster" drivers still usually end up fastest, but they get much closer racing with the others instead of winning by more than a minute, and being rather bored and lonely out front.

From my experience, "humanity" will respond to your own attitude and how you treat "humanity".

Last edited:
Being a little late to the party I have to admid that I used ctrl+t only once in AC. That was when I thought the E30 drift had TC on because I can't drift to safe my life. *hangsheadinshame*
I use the cars as they come from Kunos re TC and ABS. I wouldn't pull a fuse in the real car to disable the ABS or other systems either. I do however like to play around with the setups to set the car up to suit my driving style. I managed to get under 1:50 with the Formula Abarth the first hour or two of driving this combination. After more than 10 years away from driving sims I was quite satisfied. I wouldn't dare joining a public server here at RD with the times I can achieve, given the times others post. Some of them I would see twice a lap and that's where I think the fun ends. I guess I need much more time behind the wheel before I can think of joining the fun online. I really hope the AI is good enough to learn how to drive with others around and not be a rolling chicane and hindrance for likeminded players who just want to have some fun after work.

I am using default setups because I don't know anything about setting up a car...the default setups in AC feel really good and when I am 3 seconds off of somebody here or 5 seconds off there I doubt it is all setup...maybe a second of it, maybe, but the rest is me.

I'm not very good with setups either, although I have read quite alot about it. I managed to make out how to make decent setups in netKar for my own style, which I gained from. But every new game is a new mystery to me.

I would beg to differ with your statement though, at least for myself. Maybe it's my driving style, but I find that I can gain quite alot in AC by just tweaking simple camber values front and rear, if possible also some downforce values depending on track and car.
Default setups feel good indeed, but for me they are not so fast, rather safe.

In the different BMW M3 E30's, pulling the camber values front and rear to the ends (negative front and positive rear/more oversteer) generally speaking almost certainly makes me faster at any track, although more specifically I wouldnt start by making such huge setup changes. It almost feels as effective as to call it an exploit of this sim for me in some cases.

IMO once the proper tyre wear and the associated track conditions are modelled, I would expect many super fast setups to be only good for a couple or laps or so. Over a whole race some setups will probably not be viable.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back