AA on UE4?

Hi,

My experience of Unreal Engine is a mixed one. It seems to be a platform which offers good performance and features, however I am unsure what the latest AA (anti-alising) abilites are. I play a bit of Rising Storm 2, which uses UE3, and was surprised to learn that the only AA you can use is FXAA. Hopefully the situation is different on UE4...?

From what I know the TAA is getting a lot better lately! And supported in UE4.
For F1 2017 or watch dogs 2, TAA is a joke. Lots of jaggies while standing still and very blurry during movement.
Then if you look at battlefield 1, for honor or assassin's creed origins this changes massively! These games are a little blurry but with either higher screen sharpening (my monitor doesn't have a setting for this sadly but my TV does) or a little reshade it looks just great.
Not as great as sgssaa or 4x txaa (if it's not blurry!) but it's a big improvement without any real impact to the fps.
For me it's a lot better than 4x DSR, 200% supersampling or whatever you call it.

I am one of those who got more and more annoyed by the lack of anti aliasing in modern games. Especially if you can't force anything on top of it.
Witcher 2/3, F1 2017, rise of the tomb raider, watch dogs, cs:go. I'm just slowly getting used to all the flickering on screen. Good TAA is my silverlining.

And don't tell me that msaa would do a good job. I don't care for less jaggies on buildings while shadows, fences etc are giving me headache during movement...

• Deleted member 197115

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Engine/Rendering/PostProcessEffects/AntiAliasing

Anti-aliasing in Unreal Engine 4 is performed in post processing using FXAA, which is an efficient GPU MLAA implementation. This method solves most causes of aliasing artifacts, but cannot fully prevent temporal aliasing.

Other techniques: UE4 currently supports MSAA only for a few editor 3d primitives (e.g. 3D Gizmo) and Temporal AA.

The feature can be disabled by the show flag Post-process Anti-aliasing.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back