A Lap of the Highlands Circuit in Assetto Corsa

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
With Kunos Simulazioni winding up to full swing promoting new content coming to Assetto Corsa this February, Marco Massarutto has leaked the first moving images from the new 'Highlands' race track.

Based in Scotland and due to be released with four unique configurations, Massarutto has given fans a first glimpse of the track in action as he pilots a Ferrari 488 GTB around the circuit in a video just short of three minutes in length. We can see from this short video the level of detail that has gone into this track is simply mind-blowing, with painstaking attention to detail on the roadside objects best illustrated in the incredibly well created rock formations that line certain sections of track as well as the beautifully rendered housing assets seen early in the lap.

What's more we can be safe in the knowledge that at least one variation of the track is mammoth in size, with the video beginning at a standing start and running to three minutes in length despite not actually completing the lap, meaning we might have our very own mini Nordschleife coming to the game...

When looking at the initial images I suspected the track would mainly consist of tight and twisty round the houses sections, however it appears that at least one configuration will feature some exceptionally high speed open road sections with dangerous off-camber road surfaces lined with obstacles and street furniture just waiting to write off your expensive supercar.

Assetto Corsa is available to buy for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Windows PC. 'Highlands' should be available to download this February.

Assetto Corsa Audi 80 Quattro .jpg
Assetto Corsa Highlands Track 5.jpg
Assetto Corsa Highlands Track 2.jpg

One of the best ways to experience Assetto Corsa is to race against your fellow players online. You can do that here at RaceDepartment in our League and Club Racing section of the Assetto Corsa sub forum. We hold professionally run club events that cater for all different skills and experiences, as well as host regular high quality league racing events. Alongside our commitment to bring you quality racing we also host a large number of mods for the game. Jump over to our modding archive to have a browse at what is on offer, or even share details of your WIP project in our Modding Discussion forum.

Assetto Corsa Audi 80 Quattro 2.jpg Assetto Corsa Highlands Track 2.jpg Assetto Corsa Highlands Track 4.jpg Assetto Corsa Highlands Track.jpgAssetto Corsa Highlands Track 3.jpgAC Scotland 1.jpg AC Scotland 2.jpg

Now we've seen it in action, do you think the new Highlands Circuit will be a positive addition to the sim? How do you feel about fantasy content being added by the devs? Do you like these kinds of "road" circuits in racing games? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I'm not at all a fan of fictional tracks, I much prefer something based on real-life locations which Kunoz has done extremely well so far.

I'd rather have seen an official Isle of Man road course or something similar to this:

furkapassroute-in-switzerland-as-seen-from-grimselpassroute.jpg

The issue I have with the Highlands Circuit is, it seems to Forzaish, don't get me wrong I have played pretty much all of the Forza titles and have had some great fun playing them, but for me Assetto Corsa is something more than Forza especially when you add the online element.

Maybe it's just how it looks on the grid with all the banners and road side boards and buildings...I don't know, or maybe it's just me, but I can't say I'm that impressed by this road course, I'd have much preferred a new real-life road/circuit location.
But seems to be an efficient fictional track for racing, because it can accommodate both small and big cars racing. Your picture is of a hill climb with many stop and go corners, not ideal for more than 1 car on track. Yes your road example seems good enough for driving a car in a nice place, but not appropriate for racing. That's what Kunos did apparently (from the video and images shared), to make racing possible for a multitude of vehicles from the game. The visual theme is also based on a race event, hence the banners, billboards, spectators, camping caravans, closed roads.

This track looks more interesting than Black County imo

But like usual good luck finding server that will run this track month or so down the line.

online is rinse and repeat of

GT2 or GT3 at Spa.

Nordschleife Tourist track day servers.

Why is that? I love the GT3 and GT2 as much as anyone, but the track selection is terrible. Always the same two tracks.

This track is way too wide and way too fast, you don't have a single cross section on a road coming back and forth of a town ? It doesn't feel realistic at all which is for sure a problem for a sim... Feels as bad as the swiss alps track in Forza. I didn't know scottish villages had boulevards in their downtown, it feels like we are in Los Angeles...(yeah i'm exaggerating but you see the point)
I like Assetto Corsa but i'm really disappointed there :/

I'm not at all a fan of fictional tracks, I much prefer something based on real-life locations which Kunoz has done extremely well so far.

I'd rather have seen an official Isle of Man road course or something similar to this:

furkapassroute-in-switzerland-as-seen-from-grimselpassroute.jpg

The issue I have with the Highlands Circuit is, it seems to Forzaish, don't get me wrong I have played pretty much all of the Forza titles and have had some great fun playing them, but for me Assetto Corsa is something more than Forza especially when you add the online element.

Maybe it's just how it looks on the grid with all the banners and road side boards and buildings...I don't know, or maybe it's just me, but I can't say I'm that impressed by this road course, I'd have much preferred a new real-life road/circuit location.

That's Grimsel pass into Furka pass, both epic roads

The visual theme is also based on a race event, hence the banners, billboards, spectators, camping caravans, closed roads.

Plus, Sparco and nVidia likely helped pay for the development of the track so it's fair to allow them some advertising space. Had they not been sponsors then we would have had to pay for a fictional track and the whinging about having to pay for a fake track would have been off the charts.

But hey, at least people have new free content to complain about. :rolleyes:

at least people have new free content to complain about.
The sad truth. I was pretty amazed with the logic of some with that whole Porsche fiasco, and still am with the new track. I tried it out yesterday and found it pretty fun, especially with the smaller road cars and most of the supercars. Luckily I haven't seen anyone complain about the Quattro. That would be unforgivable. :p

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back