2018 Italian Grand Prix: Vettel vs Hamilton - Who Was at Fault?

I voted 'racing incident', but once Hamilton was alongside, only the guy in the red car had the tools at his disposal to avoid contact. Seb gets involved in far too many first lap incidents for someone in his 11th F1 season.

If this was a racing incident, which I believe it is, then so too was the Bottas/Verstappen incident. Essentially the same thing. Max left Bottas just enough room to maybe kinda avoid contact and that's exactly what Hamilton did. Once again, F1 is inconsistent with their calls based on the driver's reputation alone.

in my worthless opinion, its not worth a penalty for either
Vettel had nowhere to go, he had Kimi in front, a sausage curb on the left and Hamilton on the left. Bear in mind you Vettel couldn't magically go left since both cars where approaching de la Rogia on the limit so they both tend to understeer wide into the right.
At that moment you are kinda doomed to have contact.
Hamilton sure could've kept it more to the right, but he'de miss the turn in point, which obviously he didn't want and was already committed just like Vettel.
And for those who say Hamilton was ahead and so Vettel is to be at blame, they were both optimistic, for breaking late and keeping it side by side in a hell of a narrow chicane. Racing incident

play it at 00:23 at 0.25/s

Last edited:
In my opinion Hamilton took a risk and entered the turn with Vettel which undesteered into him and while entering Hamilton didn't gave Vettel enough space to avoid it.
While entering the corner Hamilton could have go a little more on the right, i voted for him.
Anyway it was entertaining to watch, better than Spa after lap 1

Last edited:
20% of the vote is Lewis' fault yet no comments backing up their vote. Interesting.
When the contact happened Vettel's rear left wheel is almost still on apex of first turn, It was his corner, now, there is only one line Vettel car is going to take mid and end of first turn, but Hamilton decided to put part of his car there, Vettel came off worst.
( I voted for a racing incident)

The contact actually began before Hamilton was alongside. If Vettel had remained tucked behind Kimi, he would have blocked Lewis' advance. But his inside move to attack Kimi lost all his momentum. He attempted to regain the proper line but that move was already blocked by Lewis. So Vettel had no choice EXCEPT to slowiy navigate the corner and possibly lose several spots by the time they reached the Lesmos, or try to crowd Hamilton out. He chose the latter and probably lost the world Driver's Championship this day. Seb has driven with a certain level of desperation for the last two seasons. I watch each race now EXPECTING a Ferrari Snafu.

I don't think there ever was an attack on Kimi by Seb. He hoped for it but was never close enough, and at the same time it (staying left) was a defensive line against Ham. But had he tucked behind Kimi, Ham would've been open to go on the inside.

Edit: Having seen it again, I think VET was simply defending from HAM and not looking to make a move on Kimi. He was simply too far behind for that and HAM was right on VET in/at the end of Curva Grande.

Last edited:
A racing incident plus Vettel's bad attempt to take back the position lost. What the hell, Vettel should have taken as less risks as possible at the first lap!
Let him pass and then Raikkonen will do the rest to keep Hamilton behind, just like Bottas did later on during the final laps, after the pit stop.

So sad, race squandered by Sebastian :(:mad:
Anyway the Mercedes looks like a tank. After every incident they always get out safe with no damage!

p.s.
I voted Lewis Hamilton just because I sweared for 5 minutes against Hamilton blaming him of the incident :D:roflmao:

It was too brave and insolent maneuver from Hamilton. Seb was not ready for this, he did not manage to properly assess the situation and adequately defend himself. As a result, he was mistaken. From the legal point of view, Seb is to blame. From the human point of view, this was a racing incident.

If this was a racing incident, which I believe it is, then so too was the Bottas/Verstappen incident. Essentially the same thing. Max left Bottas just enough room to maybe kinda avoid contact and that's exactly what Hamilton did. Once again, F1 is inconsistent with their calls based on the driver's reputation alone.
Nah....Verstappen moved twice in the braking zone and that is against the rules and hence the penalty.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 32 16.5%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 26 13.4%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 27 13.9%
  • Friday

Votes: 69 35.6%
  • Saturday

Votes: 108 55.7%