2018 Formula One Austrian Grand Prix

But I thought Red Bull is the best when the (F1) circus comes to fast corners (preferably without long straights) type of tracks. :geek:
Yes that is correct ;)
The thing is, that the first half of the track are long straight, one of them even pretty steep upwards. That really hurts them so I doubt that they'll have a shot at Ferrari or even Mercedes but we'll see.

Bit of a shame that the plans for extending the circuit back to it's old size seem to have been put on hold.

Interesting, so the land is still there? In other words in most countries as soon as the land becomes available, housing gets built on it! lol

Is the historic track still there? I always thought it was a real shame when they dug up all the old Hockenheim, I'm sure most of us petrolheads would be happy to just even walk some of it.

With regards to DRS, I reckon the best option is kind of follow something like Indycar with the boost button. Let them have something like 60 seconds of usage. You can use it wherever you want for how long you want, but once your amount is used up that's it.

Interesting, so the land is still there? In other words in most countries as soon as the land becomes available, housing gets built on it! lol

Is the historic track still there? I always thought it was a real shame when they dug up all the old Hockenheim, I'm sure most of us petrolheads would be happy to just even walk some of it.

Mostly:
LYNb6ZR.jpg

some of Ferrari's sector times on SS tyre are very good, i think they will murder Mercs at Q3 lol
or maybe mercs were sandbagging

Last edited:
Yes that is correct ;)
The thing is, that the first half of the track are long straight, one of them even pretty steep upwards. That really hurts them so I doubt that they'll have a shot at Ferrari or even Mercedes but we'll see.
Looks like you were right. Not even that they couldn't match Ferrari and Merc times, even Haas looks better than them. Wow, and this is their track ?? One would expect they had that a little extra on it. Like Ferrari always have in Monza. :)
With regards to DRS, I reckon the best option is kind of follow something like Indycar with the boost button. Let them have something like 60 seconds of usage. You can use it wherever you want for how long you want, but once your amount is used up that's it.
I believe "boost" is actually a good idea. 60 second per race or something...
And the biggest reason is because a driver can use it whenever he wants it, not only when driver in front knows that he have to defend himself. More overtakes, imho.
Of course... the biggest problem has to be solved first - the ability to closely follow the car in front. Without that, even double boost and double drs are useless.

Just looked up the Indycar push-to-pass system: looks more like 150 - 200 seconds of boost (depending on the length of the straights per track it seems, article here: https://www.autosport.com/indycar/news/128018/pushtopass-tweak-among-indycar-changes). Seems like a lot of boost time to me; Belle Isle for example gets 150 seconds of boost time, and the lap record for that track is 1:10 (70 seconds), even adding on a few seconds for actual racing laptimes, that's still about 2 whole laps worth of engine boost.

I kinda like the F1 system more that's aero-based instead of engine-based, and you have to be within 1 second to activate, so it's not like they're doing it on every straight. Seems to me like it requires more skill to actually get within DRS range vs. having approx. 2 laps worth of engine boost to use whenever, wherever.

The only part I don't like about DRS is using it under blue flags to lap the back markers.

Just looked up the Indycar push-to-pass system: looks more like 150 - 200 seconds of boost

Oh yeah for sure. I only used 60 seconds as a suggested example. I think originally it was about 90 seconds of boost they had in Indycar, then they kept increasing it to where it is now. I think most drivers don't even use all of it! lol.

RB ring so far: F3:thumbsup:, F2:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Well that was good enough for me :D
i have no expectation about overtaking for the tomorrow's race , every time i had a little expectation in term of overtaking , the race turned to a train/snake simulator ( :D ) but the good thing for me is that i can enjoy a race without overtaking, i can even enjoy watching time trial by F1 cars lol

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1013074778398208000
:p

Last edited:
That grid pen is a joke and I don't even like seb at all.

To be fair, it's a result of the extreme slow traffic speed all contendors use when they're not on a hot lap, it just showcases the artificial nature of the sport and as long as they're is a spectacle to watch it's fine but we are near the halfpoint of the season and the rush of the early races has settled and it's been boiled down to a fight decided by rules and economics instead of driving.

It's a bit harsh but fair application of the rules. The thing is, drivers have done this (to Vettel as well) countless times and have not been punished.

Kinda kills the excitement for tomorrow as well.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.