2017 Formula One Bahrain Grand Prix

Agreed. I also don't like these modern Stop-And-Go-Tracks. They should bring back old venues like Zandvoort, WatGlen, Imola or Okayama. Also, some old tracks, but new to the venue, would be nice. Could you imagine F1 @ Road America? ;) Also, some "real" citytracks like they use in Indycar-Series.

That's never going to happen, but sometimes dreaming can be soooooo satisfying... :D

ferrari.jpg
Sebastian Vettel retakes the lead of the Formula One world championship with a second win of the season in Bahrain. A great start and strong strategy saw the Ferrari driver finish ahead of Mercedes duo Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas.

Vettel enjoyed a fantastic start, taking Hamilton over the line. Though he was able to pressure pole sitter Bottas, he couldn’t find a way past the Finn before he had to pit for fresh tyres.

Red Bull’s Max Verstappen, running behind Hamilton, was the first to respond to Vettel’s pit stop, coming in for fresh tyres in an attempt to undercut Mercedes. It was all for nothing, though, as a brake failure sent him into the gravel and out of the race.

Before marshals could start clearing the stranded Red Bull, there was more drama further back as Carlos Sainz hit the side of Lance Stroll’s Williams.

The Toro Rosso driver had just emerged from the pits when he dived down the inside of Stroll at turn one. Both drivers were taken out of the race, and the safety car was deployed.

The Mercedes pit crew jumped into action as the safety car emerged, Bottas pitting ahead of Hamilton. It turned out to be costly, as Hamilton slowed to make time for his team mate’s stop. He held up Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo as the pair came into the pits, and was handed a five second penalty for the action.

When the race restarted, it was Vettel leading Bottas. Though the Ferrari driver had to defend on the restart, it didn’t take him long to start to build up a gap to Bottas.

As the Mercedes duo began to fall away from Vettel, Bottas was given the order to let Hamilton pass. Though the team could argue that Hamilton was on a different strategy and had the five second penalty, it doesn’t bode well for Bottas’ claims that he’s not a second driver.

Hamilton started to chip away at Vettel’s lead, but couldn’t get close enough before the second set of pit stops. Once again, Vettel was the first to pit and when Mercedes responded, Hamilton was bumped back down to third, behind Bottas. Again, the Finn let his team mate pass and Hamilton set about catching up with Vettel, but ran out of laps before he could get close enough to the Ferrari.

Whilst Ferrari had one driver on the podium, their second could only manage fourth. Kimi Raikkonen started fifth and fell back down the order early in the race. The recovery effort saw him climb from seventh to fourth. He finished over two seconds behind Bottas.

Nearly seventeen seconds later, Daniel Ricciardo crossed the finishing line, followed by Felipe Massa, Sergio Perez, Romain Grosjean, Nico Hulkenberg, and Esteban Ocon.

Only four more drivers finished the race. It was another double DNF for McLaren Honda. Stoffel Vandoorne didn’t even manage to start the race as a power unit problem struck him again. Alonso looked set to finish the race, despite complaining that he’d never driven a car as poor as the MCL32, but retired with two laps remaining.

Kevin Magnussen and Marcus Ericsson also retired with mechanical problems.

Fairly interesting race, after all.
I wouldn't write off VB after this and the last race, bad races have happened to the best of them before due to some issue with setup etc.

Awesome race again. Man what a season :) genious drive from Vettel, and from Wehrlein, who almost got into the points with the worst car of the grid on his very first race with the new ones...brilliant defending against Kvyat in the end with his broken tyres
Season can really continue like this :)

The cars make these boring designers exciting. Three wide? Are you kidding me? I thought I was watching NASCAR at times. The "waah no passing" issue has been crushed like Lance Stroll's ego, and his pathetic promotion. Also crushed was Carlos Sainz.

Stroll admitted to seeing him come out of the pit lane and there is no "blend line" or even room to turn right once you come out. Go fire up your dusty copy of F1 2016 (which us console players do all the time) and see if you can not lock up your tires , go as fast as your team boss wants, and jack your wheel full lock right to make that right. It's as much your corner as anyone's past the "blend" line, assuming you are not a lap down. Then, you have to assume that some 18 year old neophite will not turn in on you when he admits to seeing you blast out of the pits and should know that he has to brake, but you don't. He knew Sainz could brake later, and he admits seeing you exit...if he can't be held responsible for simply refusing to run wide in T1 (which is about as fast, by the way). This is a major problem in F1...and the sooner they fess up to promoting per-pubescent kids to run the fastest cars in the world, the sooner they will stave off the mother of all lawsuits. Up the age to 19 or more, you idiots. You can't even get insurance for a 17 year old, without a massive bank account. GP3 champ Stroll also knew that he was there, and potentially could be there when he hit the apex. It's not about "ramming me in the sidepod" (tell me how many times Carlos has done that and I'll give you a cookie, even though he is a rookie -1). So, if you are comparing talent, Stroll is a disaster and Sainz may have been in the top 6. Stroll should be in GP3 for two more years. Sainz outperformed Verstappen, by the numbers, in 2015. Maybe he thinks he should be as reckless as Max to get ahead. Let's hope not.

You see this wide as hell line on exit to keep the oncoming cars away from the out-lappers?
auto-prix-bhr-f1-1.jpg

Why is that there?

Answer: so an out lapper has a decent chance to get up to speed and be seen. If you watched the race, Sainz stayed virtually glued to the left white line. Stroll knew he was there after he zipped past him. Then, as 12 year olds tend to do, he forgot that maybe there might be a bit of acceleration in the pit exit that he could not access due to the need to brake. Oh sh*t. Why think ahead Lance?...just go ahead and ruin your race by your own volition. At least, your average 16 year old may have been clued in. Even Max Verstappen would have gotten this. I think. Maybe. Sotra. :O_o:

So, here is the "reg" they cited to screw Sainz: Atricle 27.4 Sporting regs
"At no time may a car be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person."

That's the best part. "At no time may a car be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed potentially dangerous." Stroll is guilty. Here is why:

The Chief Steward (Danny Sullivan, a man I respect but had no business being the Chief Steward at an F1 race after, what, seven pathetic finishes in the sport, despite a great *oval* record in IndyCar). When I heard Sky mention his name (in between Brundel's constant slander of Raikkonen who never has a chance in that broken down P.O.S.), I knew the decision would be "split the baby" as they say in the legal world...because Sullivan, for all his Indy talent, has ZERO clue about how Herman Tilke ruins tracks or crates boring spaces that only rocket ships (thanks God we have them again) can overcome. This pit exit may be the most ill thought out and dangerous in all of open wheel racing.

Now let's contrast how Sainz describes the incident with how Lucky Lance does:

Sainz:
"I knew it would be very tight at the end of the pits with Lance," Sainz said. "I tried to take the corner around the inside. I didn't lock up the tyres and he must have not seen me and turned it straight into me and we crashed.

"You are allowed to turn in, but when you have someone inside, you have to leave at least one car's margin in case there's someone there. I think he simply didn't see me, and wasn't expecting me to be there.

"But I didn't overshoot the corner so I don't understand how, knowing that you are fighting for position, you don't leave a gap.

"If he had gone around the outside he would have emerged ahead of me after the corner. He chose to take the risk and assume no one was there."

Stroll:
Stroll said Sainz had "dive-bombed" and insisted the Toro Rosso driver was to blame.

"I got completely destroyed in my sidepod. He drove right into me," Stroll said. "I was like 50/60 metres ahead of him in the braking zone, and he just dive-bombed as I was turning. He just completely drove into the side of me. I just saw the video, it's ridiculous.

Problem is, Stroll admitted to knowing he was there.

Who sounds like the teenager that should be spanked? A: Stroll. The disaster. Claire, I love you and your father, but you fvcked this one up royally. Maybe you need to visit Loyds of London.

So, thanks Lance. That really was mature the way you worded it. Maybe you could talk to Carlos and understand how diplomacy works. Then again, you are a *****ng teenager who has no business in the "pinnacle" of motorsport. Thanks FIA. I hope Liberty yanks the FIA sanction and adds some sanity to this series, or at least threatens them with NASCAR sanction. That would sure wake them them hell up. This sham needs some sensibility.

I just ran a 50% at Bahrain. There is ZERO room to make that turn out of the pits. You simply have to floor it when you can and "paint the line on the right" Carlos did that. And Stroll, who admitted knowing he was there, assumed a genuine talent would just move over for a boy hack who should be still racing in GP3. Unbelievable. Stroll had time and a brain (I think) to make the right decision. Carlos did not have any choice.

Questions:
1. What do you do when you have no choice but to follow a 90 degree exit apex that leaves no room for the oncoming car and your job is to exit, blend, and allow faster cars to pass? Drive slower out of pit lane so the guy can have his apex? Where does it say it's the non-pitting car's apex is a greater right? Does the pitting car has to either lose time? The white "fake" blend line was over when Lance assumed he was the master of all apexes.

2. If Stroll admits to seeing Sainz, why in the world would he assume he would not potentially be at the apex at the same time? In fact, Stroll was at the Apex first, and past the "blend" line, which was simply a line to keep idiots like Stroll far enough to the left that they could realize a car was exiting, yet he knew that already. You don't lose your right to the apex (after the blend line ends), which was stupidly flawed in the first place, just because someone is ahead of you and you can out-brake them.

Here is their rationale:
According to the stewards, video evidence “showed that car 18 was on the normal racing line, car 55 left the pit lane and made a very optimistic attempt to pass car 18 into the corner. The Stewards decided that the driver of car 55 was predominately to blame for causing the collision in violation of Article 27.4 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations.”

#1 - video evidence. lol. Oxymoron.
#2 - car 18 was on the normal racing line. No sh*t.
#3 - car 55 left the pit lane and made a very optimistic attempt to pass car 18 into the corner. Who actually believes this? Raise your hand. You are a dumbass if you do. Stroll was abut 90 mph faster than Carlos when he ran into him.
#4 - car 55 was predominately to blame for causing the collision in violation of Article 27.4 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations. Oh really?

Let these cars race or I beg Liberty to read the riot act the the FIA and Charlie Whiting. He's been the problem all along. Bernie was, in essence, a scapegoat, because he just lost the title via buyout. But at least Bernie has the sense to know what was right and wrong, even though he was a money monger. Todt is a Paris bureaucrat that needs to be silenced.

Oh scratch all that above. Carlos has seven points on his "license" in FIA world. I hope they suspend him. Because I really want to meet the driver who is arguably the best since Alonso. Another great driver lost, is my prediction. Just like Alonso. They want to race, not be second guessed by idiots.

The only one who was stupid in that situation was Sainz himself.
from about 1:30 you see the onboard from Sainz, and well, he braked far too late, even if Stroll took the outside Sainz might have hit him, simply because he was still going too fast.

Also your rant at Verstappen is laughable. Sainz did only outperform Verstappen in the first six races of 2015, but after that he was losing.
Verstappen is currently at least of the same level as Ricciardo (19 y.o.). Also he is the benchmark for new drivers now. Sainz is not.

Last edited:
The cars make these boring designers exciting. Three wide? Are you kidding me? I thought I was watching NASCAR at times. The "waah no passing" issue has been crushed like Lance Stroll's ego, and his pathetic promotion. Also crushed was Carlos Sainz.

Stroll admitted to seeing him come out of the pit lane and there is no "blend line" or even room to turn right once you come out. Go fire up your dusty copy of F1 2016 (which us console players do all the time) and see if you can not lock up your tires , go as fast as your team boss wants, and jack your wheel full lock right to make that right. It's as much your corner as anyone's past the "blend" line, assuming you are not a lap down. Then, you have to assume that some 18 year old neophite will not turn in on you when he admits to seeing you blast out of the pits and should know that he has to brake, but you don't. He knew Sainz could brake later, and he admits seeing you exit...if he can't be held responsible for simply refusing to run wide in T1 (which is about as fast, by the way). This is a major problem in F1...and the sooner they fess up to promoting per-pubescent kids to run the fastest cars in the world, the sooner they will stave off the mother of all lawsuits. Up the age to 19 or more, you idiots. You can't even get insurance for a 17 year old, without a massive bank account. GP3 champ Stroll also knew that he was there, and potentially could be there when he hit the apex. It's not about "ramming me in the sidepod" (tell me how many times Carlos has done that and I'll give you a cookie, even though he is a rookie -1). So, if you are comparing talent, Stroll is a disaster and Sainz may have been in the top 6. Stroll should be in GP3 for two more years. Sainz outperformed Verstappen, by the numbers, in 2015. Maybe he thinks he should be as reckless as Max to get ahead. Let's hope not.

You see this wide as hell line on exit to keep the oncoming cars away from the out-lappers?
auto-prix-bhr-f1-1.jpg

Why is that there?

Answer: so an out lapper has a decent chance to get up to speed and be seen. If you watched the race, Sainz stayed virtually glued to the left white line. Stroll knew he was there after he zipped past him. Then, as 12 year olds tend to do, he forgot that maybe there might be a bit of acceleration in the pit exit that he could not access due to the need to brake. Oh sh*t. Why think ahead Lance?...just go ahead and ruin your race by your own volition. At least, your average 16 year old may have been clued in. Even Max Verstappen would have gotten this. I think. Maybe. Sotra. :O_o:

So, here is the "reg" they cited to screw Sainz: Atricle 27.4 Sporting regs
"At no time may a car be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person."

That's the best part. "At no time may a car be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed potentially dangerous." Stroll is guilty. Here is why:

The Chief Steward (Danny Sullivan, a man I respect but had no business being the Chief Steward at an F1 race after, what, seven pathetic finishes in the sport, despite a great *oval* record in IndyCar). When I heard Sky mention his name (in between Brundel's constant slander of Raikkonen who never has a chance in that broken down P.O.S.), I knew the decision would be "split the baby" as they say in the legal world...because Sullivan, for all his Indy talent, has ZERO clue about how Herman Tilke ruins tracks or crates boring spaces that only rocket ships (thanks God we have them again) can overcome. This pit exit may be the most ill thought out and dangerous in all of open wheel racing.

Now let's contrast how Sainz describes the incident with how Lucky Lance does:

Sainz:
"I knew it would be very tight at the end of the pits with Lance," Sainz said. "I tried to take the corner around the inside. I didn't lock up the tyres and he must have not seen me and turned it straight into me and we crashed.

"You are allowed to turn in, but when you have someone inside, you have to leave at least one car's margin in case there's someone there. I think he simply didn't see me, and wasn't expecting me to be there.

"But I didn't overshoot the corner so I don't understand how, knowing that you are fighting for position, you don't leave a gap.

"If he had gone around the outside he would have emerged ahead of me after the corner. He chose to take the risk and assume no one was there."

Stroll:
Stroll said Sainz had "dive-bombed" and insisted the Toro Rosso driver was to blame.

"I got completely destroyed in my sidepod. He drove right into me," Stroll said. "I was like 50/60 metres ahead of him in the braking zone, and he just dive-bombed as I was turning. He just completely drove into the side of me. I just saw the video, it's ridiculous.

Problem is, Stroll admitted to knowing he was there.

Who sounds like the teenager that should be spanked? A: Stroll. The disaster. Claire, I love you and your father, but you fvcked this one up royally. Maybe you need to visit Loyds of London.

So, thanks Lance. That really was mature the way you worded it. Maybe you could talk to Carlos and understand how diplomacy works. Then again, you are a *****ng teenager who has no business in the "pinnacle" of motorsport. Thanks FIA. I hope Liberty yanks the FIA sanction and adds some sanity to this series, or at least threatens them with NASCAR sanction. That would sure wake them them hell up. This sham needs some sensibility.

I just ran a 50% at Bahrain. There is ZERO room to make that turn out of the pits. You simply have to floor it when you can and "paint the line on the right" Carlos did that. And Stroll, who admitted knowing he was there, assumed a genuine talent would just move over for a boy hack who should be still racing in GP3. Unbelievable. Stroll had time and a brain (I think) to make the right decision. Carlos did not have any choice.

Questions:
1. What do you do when you have no choice but to follow a 90 degree exit apex that leaves no room for the oncoming car and your job is to exit, blend, and allow faster cars to pass? Drive slower out of pit lane so the guy can have his apex? Where does it say it's the non-pitting car's apex is a greater right? Does the pitting car has to either lose time? The white "fake" blend line was over when Lance assumed he was the master of all apexes.

2. If Stroll admits to seeing Sainz, why in the world would he assume he would not potentially be at the apex at the same time? In fact, Stroll was at the Apex first, and past the "blend" line, which was simply a line to keep idiots like Stroll far enough to the left that they could realize a car was exiting, yet he knew that already. You don't lose your right to the apex (after the blend line ends), which was stupidly flawed in the first place, just because someone is ahead of you and you can out-brake them.

Here is their rationale:
According to the stewards, video evidence “showed that car 18 was on the normal racing line, car 55 left the pit lane and made a very optimistic attempt to pass car 18 into the corner. The Stewards decided that the driver of car 55 was predominately to blame for causing the collision in violation of Article 27.4 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations.”

#1 - video evidence. lol. Oxymoron.
#2 - car 18 was on the normal racing line. No sh*t.
#3 - car 55 left the pit lane and made a very optimistic attempt to pass car 18 into the corner. Who actually believes this? Raise your hand. You are a dumbass if you do. Stroll was abut 90 mph faster than Carlos when he ran into him.
#4 - car 55 was predominately to blame for causing the collision in violation of Article 27.4 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations. Oh really?

Let these cars race or I beg Liberty to read the riot act the the FIA and Charlie Whiting. He's been the problem all along. Bernie was, in essence, a scapegoat, because he just lost the title via buyout. But at least Bernie has the sense to know what was right and wrong, even though he was a money monger. Todt is a Paris bureaucrat that needs to be silenced.

Oh scratch all that above. Carlos has seven points on his "license" in FIA world. I hope they suspend him. Because I really want to meet the driver who is arguably the best since Alonso. Another great driver lost, is my prediction. Just like Alonso. They want to race, not be second guessed by idiots.
You spend all that time writing bulls**t...well too bad, Stroll was ahead, he had the corner, it wasn't his fault.

Was completely Sainz's fault. Not even close on this one.

I'm a big advocate for letting the drivers race, but this incident was a slam dunk penalty for Sainz. He just T-boned him at the apex.

The only one who was stupid in that situation was Sainz himself.
from about 1:30 you see the onboard from Sainz, and well, he braked far too late, even if Stroll took the outside Sainz might have hit him, simply because he was still going too fast.

Also your rant at Verstappen is laughable. Sainz did only outperform Verstappen in the first six races of 2015, but after that he was losing.
Verstappen is currently at least of the same level as Ricciardo (19 y.o.). Also he is the benchmark for new drivers now. Sainz is not.
What a dumb move by Sainz. I didn't watch the race live, but I saw a highlights package this morning where they show the crash, with Sainz complaining soon after saying "He just turned into me". LOL

If you look at this from an intelligent point of view, how the hell is Stroll supposed to predict that Sainz is going to try and pull something as ridiculous as that. Sainz was clearly behind Stroll at the entry of the corner and Stroll had every right to the racing line through the hairpin. How Sainz even thought that such a move was going to turn out well I have no idea. Maybe he gambled and thought Stroll might be intimidated by his presence coming out of the pits and would've taken the corner wide.

The bottom line is Stroll had the corner and Sainz had no business trying anything like that. Idiotic move.

Last edited:

Did you se any tire smoke from Sainz genius? Or did you just assume he was "going too fast"? Do you have any evidence besides video crap that gets debunked as illogical and misleadign in courtrooms every day? Stroll had about 50 feet to play with and Sainz had zero. And neither had the "right" to the apex. Yet, Stroll admits seeing Sainz exit. Stroll is the new Verstappen. Your F1 baby is being saved, only you don't know it and we can't get rid of the teenage trash just yet.

Keep on going stat boy. Why don't you dig a little deeper and use your brain. How many times did Carlos' car fail in 2015 vs. Verstappen? How many times did Verstappen wreck (at fault) compared to Sainz? Where are you anyway. My guess is Northern Europe.

I'm a big advocate for letting the drivers race, but this incident was a slam dunk penalty for Sainz. He just T-boned him at the apex

No, you sound like a big advocate of seeing video evidence and not considering the big picture. Stroll turned in on Sainz. Tell me, where was Sainz supposed to go? What if a car was behind him on exit? Full stop? lol. Yea, that would work. Quit being a media fluffer.

Does anyone seriously believe this?
Rob, whichever way you look at it, Sainz wasn't even half way alongside Stroll's car when Stroll went to turn in. Maybe Stroll should've check his mirrors adjusted his entry, but really, look at the speed Sainz takes into that corner... There's no way Sainz would've been able to hold that line through the corner with that kind of speed. It was an overzealous move that was never going to work.

Rob, whichever way you look at it, Sainz wasn't even half way alongside Stroll's car when Stroll went to turn in. Maybe Stroll should've check his mirrors adjusted his entry, but really, look at the speed Sainz takes into that corner... There's no way Sainz would've been able to hold that line through the corner with that kind of speed. It was an overzealous move that was never going to work.

Sainz didn't lock his tires. I'm can't fathom your reasoning. It seems like everyone is just a a lackey for whatever F1 decides. It's ridiculous. Sainz has a right to that corner after the blend line ends. In fact, he has no other option but to stop if some kid decides to turn in on him. What you fail to realize is, that Stroll admitted to seeing Sainz. That alone equals guilt. At least in the real world. In F1 world I guess things are different. I hope you all of the F1 community pile on. Because IMO, Sainz is as good as they come. And hey, Carlos, welcome to IndyCar. F1 rejects? lol. no. F1 stars that are rejected. Hello Fernando. Don't expect him in your neck of the woods again after November. The mere fact that Danny Sullivan decided this (and it took them forever) tells me a lot. He was a disaster in F1, but an IndyCar hero. So maybe.....lol. A plot. Thanks Danny.

but really, look at the speed Sainz takes into that corner... There's no way Sainz would've been able to hold that line
WHAT? Sainz was coming out of the pits. All drivers come out at full speed and approaching driver are required to give them space. Regardless of the pathetic design by the ruiner of tracks, Herman Tilke, Sainz simply was trying to trun, not blast. The impact was clearly visible and could never have happened if a GP3 driver was not in the car.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea