2015 Formula One Australian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
V8's were worse than F1 this weekend, so this proves once more that Melbourne is not a circuit that will give you good races.
The V8's were boring because the organisers only gave them 3 sets of tyres for 4 races. It was basically 12 laps of tyre conservation. If you watch the V8's every race that they do you will see that it is more exciting than that. Check out last years Bathurst 1000. It was action packed.

The V8's were boring because the organisers only gave them 3 sets of tyres for 4 races. It was basically 12 laps of tyre conservation. If you watch the V8's every race that they do you will see that it is more exciting than that. Check out last years Bathurst 1000. It was action packed.

Agree here. Many of the more compelling series' have not started yet either, like IndyCar, DTM, and WEC (Tudor United over here, but less so). Thank God most of us have access to those and a DVR.

The Supercars still had 30-40 odd cars on the track and at least some action -- or at least the potential for some action. I don't recall any lawsuits, mass engine failure, 10 car finishes, or 100% knowing which team was going to win. Let's not forget Mr. Schumacher and Mr. Vettel had teammates who often could of or should have beaten them (although the highlight of the F1 race was watching Mark Webber interview Ricciardo on out feed...what relaxed guy Webber looks like!).

They were part of the phenomenon, so you had a "personality" involved. One team having such a massive advantage is not the same thing. I think sometimes people forget that distinction. It tells me that largely, people care mostly about driver, not constructors, which has historically been the natural tendency (and human nature I think). Ummm...except for the Tifosi. lol.

please tell me you are being sarcastic when talking about Schumacher, he buried all of his teammates he had in his Ferrari years, and Vettel in his championship winning years destroyed Webber. In their winning years especially Ferrari if you go back and watch them, Schumacher well and truly destroyed the field, the only year that was in doubt was 2003

please tell me you are being sarcastic when talking about Schumacher, he buried all of his teammates he had in his Ferrari years, and Vettel in his championship winning years destroyed Webber. In their winning years especially Ferrari if you go back and watch them, Schumacher well and truly destroyed the field, the only year that was in doubt was 2003

I think yea, I'd agree with all of that. The distinction I'm making here is that, if you pay very close attention to Christian Horner's comments, he's not talking about a *driver* but a *team* and that makes a huge difference. Let's be honest folks, Nico Rosberg was virtually a mid-pack nobody before this Mercedes team dominance. Neither of them have even close to the talent that Vettel or, especially, Schumacher has. But I don't want to start another debate. I'm just saying, yea, it's a two horse race between two decent drivers driving for the same team...every event. If you like that, tune in.

Melbourne is more or less a test session with points.
If only the Aussie GP was held at a later date because it is at the peril of durability at the start of the season which makes for a dull race.
Hopefully things even up from here on in but odear Renault odear.
Poor Dan driving a shopping trolley around with missing cylinders lol.

I think yea, I'd agree with all of that. The distinction I'm making here is that, if you pay very close attention to Christian Horner's comments, he's not talking about a *driver* but a *team* and that makes a huge difference. Let's be honest folks, Nico Rosberg was virtually a mid-pack nobody before this Mercedes team dominance. Neither of them have even close to the talent that Vettel or, especially, Schumacher has. But I don't want to start another debate. I'm just saying, yea, it's a two horse race between two decent drivers driving for the same team...every event. If you like that, tune in.
Well look at Dan last year. He won 3 races with a car that should have only finished 5th or 6th. Vettel couldn't even keep up

Last year was like throwing every driver into a completely different driving car. Dan adapted well, and I respect him as a driver.

Last year was like throwing every driver into a completely different driving car. Dan adapted well, and I respect him as a driver.

And also the difference was, Vettel had an infinitely harder car to drive in 2014 compared to 2013 - unfortunately, it seemed his weakness that he had to take the whole year to get somewhat used to it. For Ricciardo, the car was probably as driveable as the 2013 Toro Rosso, and the actual chassis was likely better.

Clearly this Ferrari is more to his liking - and third, with the current car situation, was about as good as a victory for him. He has his smile back, and if Ferrari grow with him, the signs are ominous for the rest.

For me the problem isn't the fact that there's domination by 1 team - this has happened in the past as well. The difference was that teams could catch up within the rules, due to aero design upgrades, suspension upgrades etc.

The current problem that demoralises me, is that the main difference now is the engine. And the engine is the most restricted piece of the car, in terms of development, by far.

It may sound like sour grapes when Red Bull say they might withdraw because they aren't winning - but if you read between the lines, they're not moaning because they're not winning, they're moaning because the rules won't allow them to catch up, unlike during their domination, as other areas aren't as restricted as the engine.

Also, during those years, the Renault engine wasn't even the most powerful, thus nobody could blame it on the engine restrictions back then.

I personally always look for the positives in any F1 race, but yesterday was the first race ever that I've felt there is less hope. The restrictions will just get tighter and tighter from here to 2020. How do other teams/engines catch up?

Reactions: Dux
At least McLaren Honda aren't threatening to pull out of F1. Get on with it Redbull, and get working.

We'll see what they say after a year if their engine deficit is still 60 HP running at full power. They're in a much different phase than Red Bull and Renault currently.

How do you suggest Renault haul in that deficit with the current engine, under the current regulations?

Both Redbull and Renault need to have a serious look at the package and work out their short falls and use the tokens they have wisely.
What they don't need to do is lambaste Renault in public, that is unprofessional. F1 currently needs positive spin, after teams going under and teams signing more drivers than needed. Plus with the German GP in the balance the TOP teams need to be positive for the fans of the sport.

That's what I said. This weekend it was bad, not like the other weekends ;)

We'll see what they say after a year if their engine deficit is still 60 HP running at full power. They're in a much different phase than Red Bull and Renault currently.

How do you suggest Renault haul in that deficit with the current engine, under the current regulations?
Except Red Bull was complaining last year too, just not as public as this year.
I sure wouldn't mind if there was more competition at the front, I loved F1 even when Vettel was winning, but I'm convinced that RB wouldn't be complaining one bit if the tables where turned and they had the upper hand. Let's hope that in a few races we'll see teams like Williams and Ferrari bring the fight to Mercedes, and hopefully even McLaren even though I find that highly unlikely until MAYBE the second half of the season.

Except Red Bull was complaining last year too, just not as public as this year.
I sure wouldn't mind if there was more competition at the front, I loved F1 even when Vettel was winning, but I'm convinced that RB wouldn't be complaining one bit if the tables where turned and they had the upper hand. Let's hope that in a few races we'll see teams like Williams and Ferrari bring the fight to Mercedes, and hopefully even McLaren even though I find that highly unlikely until MAYBE the second half of the season.

And you think Honda won't start complaining when they're still behind after 10 races? Please...

And as stated before, I have no problem with domination personally. The problem here is that it feels like there's no light at the end of the tunnel, due to the restrictions.

People say Red Bull are moaning. Articles are written, as why they didn't argued when Vettel dominated. Literally written "when Vettel dominated" and then i am asking myself. Are they that much stupid to not notice the difference.

They are literally comparing Vettel domination with the one of the Mercedes. How is one driver domination equal of the whole team, in a way the first never enjoyed? When Vettel was 1 sec faster than the second car/team? Never. In 2012 we had 7 different winners in first 7 races.

Red Bull, for all that Dewald wrote, have every right to ask what they ask and i myself would love to see Mercedes being 100hp downgraded in order to be more equaled with the rest in the back.

I dont have anything else to add, apart of the internet blindness and all those twisted articles who are throwing the ball on Red Bull like they are cry babes when in fact, they are not.

When Vettel was 1 sec faster than the second car/team? Never. In 2012 we had 7 different winners in first 7 races.

Even having a few tenths advantage over the other teams is a substantial amount in F1. So much so, that if you have that small advantage over the course of the season you're in prime position to be the world champion. No, Vettel never had a car which was a second ahead, but on many occasions he has had a car which has had a couple of tenths advantage, which is more than enough to win.

I'm not sure exactly what point I'm trying to make really, but even if Mercedes' advantage was lowered from around a second as you say to about 2-3 tenths, they would still win the constructers and drivers championship, unless they do what McLaren did in 2012 and have poor reliability along with bad pitstops and strategy. Yes, they would most likely win less races but it would still be enough to win both championships overall.

So it is reasonably fair to draw a tangent between Vettel's domination (2011 & 2013 especially) to Mercedes' now because whether it be a couple of tenths or a second, over the course of a season or even a race, it all adds up and becomes very substantial indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes