2014 Formula One Austrian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
493600613_DR_8980_AF7601DCA24D7F33F070361379E78E94.jpg

For the eighth round of the 2014 FIA Formula One World Championship, the sport’s teams return to a country last visited by F1 11 years ago – Austria.

The last incarnation of the Austrian Grand Prix was held from 1997 to 2003 at the circuit known as the A1 Ring and it is to that venue that F1 heads once again, though the rechristened Red Bull Ring has seen major trackside updates since.

The track, however, remains much as it was in 2003. One of the shortest on the calendar at 4.326km, the Red Bull Ring features just nine corners. It is a circuit of fast straights and slow- and medium-speed corners with, historically, just the first three taken in low gear. As such, lap times were low – with sub-1m10s laps the norm. Average speeds were high, with the 2003 event seeing Michael Schumacher win with an average speed of 213km/h.

Historic data will matter little this weekend, however, as F1’s teams brings their cutting-edge 1.6-litre, hybrid, turbocharged 2014 cars to the circuit. The best teams can hope for is that their simulations prove accurate. What can’t be modelled, however, is how the circuit will stack up in terms of surface characteristics and how it will evolve as sessions unfold. All this will have to factored into team preparations on Friday and Saturday morning.

493600613_MK_9272_2FA0BD43644755039B7CC90BAB4731CD.jpg

Last time out, in Canada, Red Bull Racing’s Daniel Ricciardo scored a memorable maiden win. Capitalising on a troubled race for previously dominant Mercedes, the result was a major step forward for the Austrian-licensed team and it will be looking to continue that good form at its home track.

Even though the last Austrian Grand Prix was 11 years ago, there are four drivers on the grid who have F1 racing experience at this circuit in its A1 Ring guise. Jenson Button has made four appearances here – from 2000-2003. His best result here came at the most recent race in 2003 when he qualified seventh and finished fourth for BAR/Honda.

The current circuit configuration largely mirrors that of the A1 Ring, where the race was won from pole position three times in seven events. Jacques Villeneuve won from the front of the grid in 1997, as did Häkkinen in 2000 and Michael Schumacher in 2003. The A1 Ring race was only won from further back than third on the grid once, in 2001, when David Coulthard started in seventh position.

In the Drivers’ Championship, second place in Montreal allowed Mercedes’ Nico Rosberg to extend his title lead over team-mate Lewis Hamilton to 22 points. The Briton will be keen to redress the balance in Spielberg, but on a circuit unfamiliar to the bulk of the current field, this latest iteration of the Austrian GP could turn out to be one of the most unpredictable of the season so far.

Check out our Friday practice report here. Practice resumes on Saturday at 10:00, followed by qualifying at 13:00 and the race on Sunday at 13:00. (UTC+1)

Circuit_Red_Bull_Ring.svg.png
Sources: Getty/Red Bull, Wikipedia Commons, FIA

• Deleted member 161052

First pole position for Massa since 2008

Personally I don't think Massa has the mentality to be a winning racer any more. Since he lost the Championship to Hamilton in Interlagos in 2008, he has never really recovered.

I fancy the youthful inhibition of Bottas to make it difficult to pass him, especially with Mercedes power if they get his strategy right.

Personally, can't see past Rosberg for the win with Hamilton so far back, unless Rosberg gets held up on first lap and Hamilton has a blinding first lap or two.

• Deleted member 161052

Whoa, Pérez is having a long lead this race!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 161052

Congrats to Bottas for a podium for a Finnish driver since 2013 at India!

I'm really happy for Bottas.
This kid, with the typical 'Nordic calm'.... will go very far in F1.
This new 'crop' of rookie drivers have really impressed me...Bottas, Kvyat, Magnussen.
They all appear more mature than their age reflect.
As someone who usually roots for Mercedes, I really wanted Williams to win this one today.
Once again, they managed to botch the strategy by simply not responding to the drop in tire performance. Good points though so not all is lost.

By the way, it wasn't shown too clearly, but didn't Kvyat's tyre just die for no reason? He starts braking and suddenly the left front starts rising, it was pretty weird.

As for Williams, I think the strategy worked exactly the way they wanted. Lets be honest, if it wasn't for the problems the Mercedes had near the end, they would have been in a different world. I doubt anyone in Williams expected to fight the Mercedes, and trying to undercut them had a big risk of losing points. Points that they really need. So their strategy was to guarantee a 3-4, instead of risking all for an unlikely win. It's a shame they couldn't take more risks, but at the moment they aren't in a position to do so. A 3-4 is the best anyone can realistically aim for.

I can't help but wonder why Hamilton gets the **** end of the stick this season.
(And no I'm not buying into those German Team = German Champion conspiracy theories)
To lose 1.9 seconds over 2 pit stops and then only miss out on winning by the exact same margin, you've got to place a lot of blame on the pit crew.

Yes I know Hamilton screwed up qualifying (although I'm still not 100% convinced that his Q3 lock-up and spin had nothing to do with a rear brake issue)
But if he can gain 5 positions in the space of the first lap, with Rosberg only able to gain 1, Hamilton's clearly the faster driver in the race, so it comes back to dodgy pit stops costs him victories.

I know what you mean I've noticed since after the first few races, Hamiltons pit stops usually end up being better 5 tenths and 1.5 seconds slower, a few times it has cost him track position if not to Rosberg then someone else.. I don't buy into any conspiracy theories either, just find it strange as to why it happens so much.

Impressive 2.1 second pit stop for Williams in the race too!

Personally, I think as the season is developing, and it is clearly going to be between Rosberg and Hamilton, I think I am going to be rooting for Rosberg so was glad of the result.

I also have a soft spot for Perez so am chuffed with his race too. It seems like he is the type of driver that, similar to Alonso, drags a car up to where it shouldn't be. He did this with Sauber and now doing it with Force India, but failed with McLaren and, looking back, maybe that car was genuinely just that bad?!

And like others have said, excited with some of the 'rookies', Bottas and Kvyat in particular, as well as Ericsson and Bianchi who don't get as much of the limelight as others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 42 26.6%
  • More leagues

Votes: 31 19.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 28 17.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 17 10.8%