2014 Formula One Austrian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you mean I've noticed since after the first few races, Hamiltons pit stops usually end up being better 5 tenths and 1.5 seconds slower, a few times it has cost him track position if not to Rosberg then someone else.. I don't buy into any conspiracy theories either, just find it strange as to why it happens so much.

Could be many factors for this whether it is pure luck or maybe Rosberg aligns himself better in the pit lane, stops to a halt and goes off 0.1 quicker than Hamilton, maybe Rosberg practices his pit stop way more than Hamilton and has it more refined etc. I am always dubious of any conspiracy theories!

You quite often get this with most teams where one is consistently getting quicker pitstops than their teammate repeatedly. To me, it is more a sign that one driver and his mechanics have worked harder at the pit stop routine and are therefore doing it more on instinct in the race without needing to think about it so much.

You quite often get this with most teams where one is consistently getting quicker pitstops than their teammate repeatedly. To me, it is more a sign that one driver and his mechanics have worked harder at the pit stop routine and are therefore doing it more on instinct in the race without needing to think about it so much.

The drivers don't get separate mechanics for their pit stops.

Same mechanics for both drivers during pit stops.

The drivers don't get separate mechanics for their pit stops.

Same mechanics for both drivers during pit stops.
I know that. What I meant was that perhaps Rosberg rehearses his pit stops more making the mechanics know instinctively where he will stop, maybe Rosberg stops bang on his markers more often than Hamilton, maybe Rosberg stops in a more natural position for the mechanics allowing them to the job quicker, maybe he just has a better personal bond with the mechanics etc. Anything can make them subconsciously feel better or more confident for one driver over an other as, after all, the mechanics are human beings, without being too hippy ish about it!

@Chris Jenkins you said that "If Hamilton was able to pass 5 cars and Nico only 1 then showed he was faster"

Do you consider the fact that below 4th place everyone else was almost 1s slower? Having thought that everything is relative i must say that those overtaking's are very likely to be only because he has superior car and its not secret to any of us, i.e. - not big deal and clearly not equal as that 1 of Rosberg you mentioned, because, how high you climb thats harder to pass. Faster and faster in front of you. Nico took the lead from a car that kept Hamilton behind very good.

Also when he(Ham) found himself behind equal(NIco) he struggled a lot and was maybe faster yes but that was far from enough which would be required for overtaking. Nico has won very good race.

This race was really similar to Bahrain 2009. Front row lockout for unexpected team, only for them to gradually fall away throughout the race and be overhauled by the dominant team - Brawn at the time, Mercedes now. Fair play to Williams, but for them to have actually won required the Mercedes to be seriously held up or have problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 124 13.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 96 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 91 9.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 64 6.7%