2009 World Touring Car Championship

• Wido Rossen

Dutchman Tom Coronel will be participating again this year in the World Touring Car Championship. Just like last year he will be behind the wheel of a SUNRED prepared SEAT Léon. Despite efforts from the SEAT Holland Coronel won't be driving a diesel powered car, but due to the new rules for diesel cars his hopes of success in 2009 are high.

Not getting a diesel powered car was mainly a financial issue. "That's why we decided with all involved to continue the existing project", said Marco de Bos, director of the Dutch SEAT importer Pon Car.
"It's unique that a Dutchman is active for the fifth consecutive year in a autosport world championship, so we're very happy we can continue or cooperation with Tom. We can also count on the support from SEAT Sport and the SEAT factory."

Tom Coronel himself was also very pleased with his new contract, as he did not know where he was gonna race this year untill last sunday.

coronelwtcc2009.jpg

Tom`s Livery for 2009

"It's great that I can drive in a world championship, and I'm proud that despite the difficult financial climate it all turned out like it did. I feel a SEAT-man so I'm staying a SEAT-man!", Coronel said.

"I'm also very happy that the cooperation with the SUNRED team continues. My first season with them was very positive and I really feel at home with them. The results last year were already very good, so I'm very positive about the coming season."

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=3097

Very glad to hear Tom is racing again in WTCC ,however I will see him in a Pro team but all the drivers remain there places so no room fore Tom,maybe next year?

Hans

• Wido Rossen

Tom Boardman has confirmed the speculations we posted two days ago that he is going to take part in the FIA World Touring Car Championship 2009. The Brit is going to drive for team SUNRED.
“It all feels like a bit of a dream at the moment – I feel like the luckiest man alive. Racing in the WTCC has been my aim for some time now, and I feel my time has come to show everyone what I’m capable of," said Boardman.

Boardman.jpg

Last year Boardman dominated the SEAT Léon Supercopa series, taking six wins, three pole positions and eight fastest laps. His team mate in WTCC 2009 is going to be the experienced Tom Coronel.

“Tom Coronel did really well in the SUNRED Leon last year, and even won the second WTCC race in Japan outright. I think together we’ll make a very strong team and be able to challenge for the Independents’ titles in both the teams’ and drivers’ categories," said Boardman.

( source TCT )

Have seen him driving last season a few times and indeed the man is fast. Knowing that he is from the UK he will have a factory Seat in less then a year, mark my words and then Tom is passed by his currently second driver!

Life aint fair :(

Can somebody explain me why you can't compete in the Independents' Trophy anymore once you have won the title in the past?
Tom is clearly not a factory driver but already has to make up to the faster diesels and the other factory boys.
So while his material is Ind Trophy'ish he still has to fight the big boys. If you see it in that perspective he is collecting magnificent results the last two years.
His victory in Japan should have resulted in a factory Seat for 2009 but the politics decided differently.
My hopes is that a Japanese manufacture takes the gamble with Tom in a few years and make him a factory driver. Since winning formula Nippon he is a god in Japan. And god's need diesels!!!

The reason is the ridiculous rule. Maybe they thought that a winner of the independents trophy would get a factory drive anyways. Well that did not happen :pissed-off:. But lets wait and see what the new restrictions to the seat diesels bring Tom this year.

In 2009 a new system of Compensation Weight determines the running weight of the WTCC cars on the basis of lap time calculation.
The best lap times of the two fastest cars of each model in qualifying and the two best lap times of the two fastest cars of each model in both races are averaged. The calculation is based on a three event rolling average, except it is applied for the first time after the first two events.
For example, the results of Events 2, 3 and 4 determines the compensation weight for Event 5.
All the cars run in the first two events of the season (Brazil and Mexico) on the minimum weight fixed by the Technical Regulations (1170 kg for front-wheel-drive cars with sequential gearbox and rear-wheel driver cars with “H” pattern gearbox).
The maximum compensation weight is 60 kg, which is applied between a maximum of +40 kg to a minimum of –20 kg, meaning that the cars' minimum weight may vary from 1210 to 1150 kg (when the minimum weight is 1170 kg).
When a model's average is within the 0.3-second threshold in relation to the fastest model, no action is taken.
If a model is slower than the fastest model by more than 0.3s, 10 kg are deducted from the maximum compensation weight for every complete 0.1s more than the +0.3s threshold, up to a maximum of 60 kg.
When a model with less than 60 kg of compensation weight is within 0.3s of the fastest (reference) model, 10 kg are added to the current compensation weight per complete 0.1s within the 0.3s threshold.
The fastest (reference) model always has the maximum compensation weight on board

Source: fiawttc.com

• Wido Rossen

The FIA World Touring Car Championship will run on 10% bio ethanol during the 2009 season. The fuel is supplied by PANTA, appointed by the FIA.
“We are pleased, because they did not encounter technical problems,” said Luca Perani of PANTA Racing.

The fuel consists of 10% bio ethanol and 90% of unleaded fuel, called E10. The diesel engines will run on 10% vegetable bio diesel, produced from rape oil.

“The E10 choice was dictated by the need to find a compromise between the aims of reducing the emissions and preserving the existing cars. Bio-fuels are far more aggressive with tanks, pipes and injectors, that need to be changed when their percentage is increased; with the E10 the current cars don't need any changes,” Perani explained.

During a full WTCC season a total of 60 to 70 000 liter of fuel is consumed.

“Ethanol contains oxygen, which helps regular petrol to burn more cleanly and completely. The use of E10 bio-fuel reduces petroleum use by 6.3 per cent and also reduces harmful emissions of carbon monoxide, particulate matter, oxides of nitrogen, exhaust volatile organic compounds and ozone-forming pollutants,” concluded Perani.

( source TCT )

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Trophies

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Forum trophies