2008 World Touring Car Championship

• Renaud de Munck

Yes indeed, besides, what's the point? It's only a 2-litre four-cylinder for christ's sake... :)

WTCC supports make cars green campaign

During the Brazilian event and for the rest of the season, the campaign's logo will be displayed prominently on every car in the field.

Make Cars Green is an international campaign, aimed at reducing the impact of motoring on the environment. This can be achieved in a number of ways, such as through the promotion of more environmentally friendly and fuel efficient driver behaviour; the introduction of new technologies to help motorists monitor their environmental impact; the improvement of tyre design to help save energy; and by encouraging the global use of unleaded and sulphur free fuels.

As part of the campaign, the FIA has launched a public policy Declaration which calls on the United Nations to adopt the first ever worldwide target for CO2 emissions in passenger cars. Make Cars Green also outlines how policy makers, industry and consumers can all play a constructive role in the development of a more ecologically sustainable means of personal mobility in the future.

FIA President Max Mosley said: “It is immensely satisfying that so many competitors in world motor sport are championing the FIA's campaign to make motoring more sustainable in the future. This support will be a major benefit to our mission to encourage ecologically sound mobility worldwide.”

Jacques Behar, Chairman & CEO of KSO, commented: "The WTCC is honoured to support the FIA's Make Cars Green campaign. Because of the obvious relationship between the touring cars and their road-going equivalents, we strongly believe that the WTCC has a key role to play in raising public awareness of these environmental initiatives.”

(source: fiawtcc)

Rickard Rydell aiming for 2008 title

Rickard Rydell returns to the World Touring Car Championship with SEAT. The season starts this weekend and the Swede is aiming to launch an assault on the title this year.
"This is my best chance to win the WTCC. It is great to be back with SEAT and I really feel at home," said Rydell.

wtcc08022801.jpg

Rydell feels that the build-up for the 2008 season has been good is looking forward to drive the diesel-powered SEAT Léon.

"The car is competitive and we should have good chances to win both the drivers and manufacturers championship. But it will not be easy to win the drivers title, I have for example four strong team mates that also want to win," said Rydell.

For this season Rydell has got a Swedish engineer, Jonas Jarlmark, who previously has worked in the Swedish Touring Car Championship. Rydell predicts that although his chances are good the opposition from the other manufacturers will be hard.

"The series is as tough as ever. In the top it will be between SEAT, BMW and Chevrolet. But I also thing that Honda can score some good results with Thompson," said Rydell.

(source: TouringCarNews)

Lada-team to make debut in Spain

The Russian Bears Lada-team looks set to make their debut in the third World Touring Car Championship race of the 2008 season. "We are an independent team, but have the chassis with the roll cages, some spare parts and technical support," said team manager Maxim Maksimenko to Motorsport-Total.com.

The team is still waiting for the homologation of the 110-model to go through, something that Lada are reported to fix for the team.
"Technicians from Lada will help with the documents that we need for the homologation," said Maksimenko.

The first time we will see the Lada-cars on track will be during the official WTCC-test days at Valencia on 15/16th of April.

Chevrolet ready to fight the diesels

The Chevrolet team with their three drivers Nicola Larini, Rob Huff and Alain Menu are ready for the World Touring Car Championship 2008 premiere in Brazil this weekend. The face a tough challenge against the diesel SEAT's and the BMW's who might turn in to a diesel squad as well. The team have tested a lot during the winter in southern Europe as well as in the UK. Here follow comments from the drivers and team personnel.

wtcc08022901.jpg

Nicola Larini (Chevrolet Lacetti #6):
“I am happy that the winter break is over, I am really anxious to go racing again! After the excellent season we had in 2007, our objective can only be to do even better! It won’t be easy, but I am confident we can do it. Still, this year it is really difficult to make any prediction as there are more variables than usual at this time of the year. We need to see how the diesel cars will perform and what the impact of the changes in the technical rules and in the success ballast system will be. In a way, it is a new adventure that starts, but we can face it in the knowledge of having worked in the right direction during the winter break. Curitiba has not always been a favorable track for us in the past, so it would be particularly positive to score a good result this time. Personally, I feel as motivated as ever and I have been working a lot on my physical preparation as well.”

Rob Huff (Chevrolet Lacetti #7):
“In Brazil we want to hit the ground running and get the consistency going from day 1 by scoring some points. The first two races it will be difficult to beat the turbocharged diesels because of the high altitude of the tracks in Curitiba and Puebla, and we know from last year that the BMW’s are strong there as well, so if we can bring home some points we should be very happy. Since the second round of last year’s championship, the Chevrolet drivers scored points at every single round bar the first Oschersleben race, so we’d obviously love to keep that momentum going. Our engineers have once again done an outstanding job over winter and the Lacetti is probably even better than it was last year. Personally I have never been better prepared, physically and mentally, than I am now.”

Alain Menu (Chevrolet Lacetti #8):
“2008 is going to be a great year, I’m sure. We proved last year that the Chevrolet team, car and drivers have championship-winning potential and only bad luck kept us from having a proper shot at the title at the finale in Macau. Last year I mainly focused on winning races, which was nice for everybody involved of course, but the tough luck which always seemed to befell me in the second races meant that while being the driver with the most wins in the championship I had no chance of winning the title. So this year my main focus will be to try and score points at every race and be as regular as possible. If it means winning less races but scoring more points, I’ll go for the points. The new success ballast system in any case puts more emphasis on being regular throughout the season rather than to peek at certain tracks, so regularity will be the name of the game for anyone with title ambitions. With the 2008-spec Lacetti being already as good as it has been in testing I see no reason why we shouldn’t be able to gain points at every outing.”

Mark Busfield (Team Manager RML):
“We have had a very busy winter this year, with the 2008-spec Chevrolet Lacetti covering some 6000 kilometres of testing at a variety of racetracks in Europe, namely Almeria, Valencia, and Guadix in Spain, Estoril in Portugal and the MIRA Proving Grounds in the UK. The race cars have of course already left for Brazil a long time ago, after each driver had tested his race car at either Estoril or Valencia, we continued testing in February with our dedicated test car. This week the 2008-spec engines have been flown out to Brazil as well. With the FIA engine waiver removed for the 2008 season – meaning we are back at a 11.0:1 compression ratio, reduced valve lift and smaller tappet size – we chose to work and test the engines for as long possible. As a result of the revoked waiver, we may have lost a few horses between last season and this, but I’m sure we will be right there where we want to be from the word go. Nevertheless, the engine situation looks likely to become the main topic in the WTCC this year.”

Wayne Brannon (CEO Chevrolet Europe):
“This will be our first year after our initial 3-year commitment to the World Touring Car Championship. With the success the team has known so far, they have set themselves very high goals in line with their last year’s achievements. This year we will do even more to offer our dealers, employees and fans a great platform for great racing weekends. In 2007, Chevrolet was the fastest growing brand in Europe and the one that made the most progress in the WTCC. Needless to say I look very much forward to keeping the momentum going at the dealerships as well as at the race tracks. Chevrolet dealers throughout Europe are supporting the team, as will be witnessed shortly when the WTCC returns to the Old Continent and the “blue army” will invade the grandstands again!”

Eric Nève (Manager Motorsports Chevrolet Europe):
“The World Touring Car Championship is now in its fourth year and one can only say that it has been going from strength to strength. This year we will see more privateer teams enter than ever before, which means the series is in a very healthy state indeed. Most of these new teams run state-of-the-art cars with very good drivers, so we’ll have to beat more competitors to be as successful as we were last year, which will add even more shine to a good result. The regulations have been adapted to most people’s liking and the FIA are closely monitoring between diesel and fuel engines to achieve equality, so everybody is feeling quite positive about the 2008 season. As for ourselves, we have been busier than ever in developing and fine-tuning the 2008-spec Chevrolet Lacetti. Even while the race cars were already on their way to Brazil the RML team could be found testing in Spain.”

Drivers meet fans and mayor

Official proceedings to the WTCC season of 2008 got underway yesterday in the centre of Curitiba.

A promotional day began with the drivers meeting the fans in two crowded autograph sessions in front of the HSBC palace, on the central Ruas das Flores.
Two FIA WTCC racing cars – Jordi Gené's SEAT and Andrey Romanov's BMW – were exhibited in front of the building.
In the afternoon the drivers joined the Mayor of Curitiba, Mr Beto Richa, Marcello Lotti, general manager of KSO, Mr Glen Valente, Marketing Director of HSBC, and Mr Guilherme Pimentel director of TIM – Regional Sul, for a press conference and cocktail reception attended by large representation of media, at the elegant Wyn Lounge & Japanese Art.

(source: FIAWTCC)

• Renaud de Munck

Yes, they are in WTCC version and paintjob, but they are less on the streets...

Q&A with Franz Engstler

Franz Engstler is about to start his first full season in WTCC. His team will run two cars in the World Touring Car Championship, but will also race two cars in the German ProCar series and the Asian ATCS.

TouringCarTimes heard from Engstler in Brasil, where the first race of the WTCC season will be held this weekend.

wtcc08030101.jpg

2007 has been a long but succesfull year for you. How do you look back at the season?
It was perfect. We were able to win the teams and drivers title in the German ProCar series and get second place in the drivers championship with Andrej Romanov as well. In the Asian ATCS we claimed the third consecutive drivers championship. That's a a result you can only accomplish with a perfectly running crew.

What was your race in Macau, your first race in WTCC, like? Were you satisfied with the result?
Macau was an incredible event for us, because we entered the event with four cars driven by drivers from four different countries (Germany, Russia, Japan and China), racing in two different series. Claiming third place in the Independants Cup was high above our expectations, especially since we raced the old model BMW E46.

Next year Engstler Motorsport will be racing in WTCC, ProCar and ATCS with two cars in each series. What are your goals?
In Asia, in the ATCS, our goal is very clear. We want to win the title for the fourth consecutive time. Our chances are looking very good with both of our young drivers from Japan and Thailand. They've proven that as well at our test in Hockenheim.

In Germany our only goal can be to defend our title, especially since we've also claimed second place in the championship in 2007.

The WTCC, on the other hand, will be our first year for everyone in the team. But with this team I want to get on the podium in the Independants Trophy.

wtcc08030101-a.jpg

How is the team looking for the coming season? Will you get more people into your team?
There won't be any constructive changes in the team, because i'm convinced that I've got one of the best teams to back me. Günter Dillinger will enforce our team, coming from Team Schnitzer, but everything else remains the same.

What will be the testing programm during the season?
We've already done some tests in Hockenheim and in Valencia, to improve the new car. However, this won't be sufficient to close the gap to the other teams. When our cars and equipment get back from Mexico, we will set up a big testing programm.

Will we see Engstler Motorsport at the start of the ETCC race in 2008?
We've planned to have at least two cars there, and I trust that our Team Manager Kurt Treml will have succesfull drivers in these cars.

You own multiple Alfa Romeo dealerships and a Alfa Romeo tuning company. Despite that you've been racing BMW's for years. Why is that?
I have had a strong connection with BMW for years now. 18 years to be exact. In 1990, after my win in Formula 3, BMW got me into DTM with Team Linder. This was a big chance for me to set foot into professional motorracing. Since that time I've worked very succesfully together with BMW.

After Alfa Romeo pulled out of the WTCC, there will only be three manufacturers in the championship with a works team. What do you think of this development and how do you see the future of the WTCC?
I think the WTCC is not only for the manufacturers a great platform to race against eachother. The regulations are good and the specators can identify with the cars. The drivers fight eachother hard and are very close together. They provide the crowd with great and hard Touring Car racing. I'm sure there will be more manufacturers in the future, when there is worked even intenser and all the resources of the manufacturers are being used.

The ProCar series has had a though season in 2007. How do you think the series will evolve and what has to be done to make the ProCar series succesfull again?
I think in the whole of Europe series like the German ProCar should be the series to scout young talents. The most important thing here is to keep the running costs in hand. Where possible we should get many cars at the start and we should try to get high media coverage. The first important change has been done by ProCar in 2007; race with the S2000 regulations that has been carried out since 2005.

2008 Rounds 1 & 2: Curitiba, Brasil

Just like in 2007, local hero Augusto Farfus emerged as the fastest driver in the Friday’s 30-minute test session.

wtcc07121701.jpg

On top of this the BMW Team Germany man set the fastest lap ever clocked by a WTCC car in Curitiba at 1:24.704, beating his own pole position time from 2006 (1:24.761).

Following close behind were SEAT Sport drivers Gabriele Tarquini, 2nd by 0.079 seconds and Rickard Rydell, 3rd with a gap of 0.223. Their team-mate Jordi Gené eventually slotted into 4th at the last minute, 0.241 behind the leader.

Cars from three different manufacturers filled the top-five as Nicola Larini's Chevrolet Lacetti came in 5th, having had a strong session remaining in the top six for most of the laps with a time of 1.25.040.

Andy Priaulx and Jörg Müller had respectable sessions, remaining in the top five for many laps, with Müller even clocking the provisional fastest lap at one stage. However, when the practice ended they slipped down to 6th and 7th respectively as other drivers pipped them the top places.

In total four drivers – Müller, Farfus, Larini and Tarquini – enjoyed spells at the top as the session went.

There were a few moments of excitement when Olivier Tielemans and Franz Engstler went wide at turn 1, Top Coronel clipped the tyres at the end of the pit straight, Zanardi spun at turn 2 but rejoined and Okyay spun at turn 9 hitting the tyre wall with the rear of the car.

In the Independents' category Sergio Hernández topped the class with a time of 1.26.146 in his BMW 320si, which placed him 14th after the chequered flag.

Farfus just married

Local hero Augusto Farfus got married last Saturday to his fiancée Liri.

To celebrate the wedding yesterday the BMW Team Germany's mechanics tied tins to his car for the moment when he would leave the garage at the start of the test session.
Farfus clanged along the pit lane and stopped before joining the track, waiting for the mechanics to remove the tins.
His BMW also sported the words “Just Married Liri & Augusto” on the rear windscreen.

Müller jumps on top at the end

Jörg Müller went fastest in the morning practice session, run on a track that still had some puddles after a rainy night.

With a time of 1.24.566 the German drivers popped his BMW into the top spot in the final moments of the session, ahead of Alain Menu with a time of 1.24.893, and Augusto Farfus 0.337 behind the leader.
BMW Team Germany and Chevrolet Lacetti dominated the practice session this morning, taking all top five positions. Robert Huff, Alain Menu and Nicola Larini all enjoyed periods on the top spot for Chevrolet, and it looked like Menu would end the session on top. However, Müller's time came out of nowhere in the final seconds for BMW Team Germany.
After yesterday's strong start from Farfus, he had to settle with third place, and was not able to set a fastest time throughout the session.
Yvan Muller and Rickard Rydell had good sessions to take up 6th and 7th positions respectively, but reigning World Champion Andy Priaulx could only finish 8th this morning.
The session was extremely close with 14 drivers covered by nine tenths of a second.
There were a few tricky moments: Zanardi spun at turn 3, hit the tyre wall with the rear of the car and came back to the pits for quick repairs. Also following yesterday's spills, Ibrahim Okyay ran wide twice this session, at turns 1 and 6.
Pierre-Yves Corthals headed the Independents' class in his Exagon Engineering SEAT with a time of 1.25.982, which put his in 15th position overall, ahead of Sergio Hernández in 16th.

Coronel takes fastest in second practise

Dutchman Tom Coronel set the fastest time during the second free practise of the day at Curitiba. Despite having only met his team of engineers last thursday for the first time and it's only his second day in his new car, Coronel showed that he will be competitive this weekend. He was just 0.002s faster than local hero Augusto Farfus.

wtcc08030103.jpg

He led from Augusto Farfus, only 0.002 seconds behind the Dutchman, with Nicola Larini in third with a gap of 0.207.

BMW Team Germany and Chevrolet drivers Augusto Farfus, Jörg Müller and Robert Huff dominated the session, all enjoying spells as the fastest, but eventually Coronel managed to clock the fastest lap.

Müller and Félix Porteiro finished the session in fourth and fifth respectively, and Alain Menu, who classified second in this morning's session, had to settle for sixt.

The second session was even closer than the previous one with the first fourteen drivers covered by just 7 tenths of a second going into the qualifying later this afternoon.

There were a few incidents involving the drivers: Coronel clipped the tyres at turn 1 early in the session; Porteiro went wide at turn 2; Sergio Hérnandez went off leaving debris on the track at turn 2; also at turn 2 Ibrahim Okyay went wide again but rejoined; Andrey Romanov went wide into the gravel trap at turn 4 but managed to keep the engine running and rejoined.

SEAT Sport driver Gabriele Tarquini missed the second half of the session due to hitting the kerb at turn 2 on his sixth lap and breaking a suspension.

Pierre-Yves Corthals headed the Independents' class once again in the Exagon Engineering SEAT with a time of 1.26.051, which was an improvement of nearly a second from this morning's session.

01 Tom Coronel
seat.gif
1:25.036
02 Augusto Farfus Jr.
bmw.gif
+ 0:00.002
03 Nicola Larini
chevrolet.gif
+ 0:00.207
04 Jörg Müller
bmw.gif
+ 0:00.355
05 Félix Porteiro
bmw.gif
+ 0:00.499
06 Alain Menu
chevrolet.gif
+ 0:00.541
07 Andy Priaulx
bmw.gif
+ 0:00.561
08 Rickard Rydell
seat.gif
+ 0:00.603
09 Robert Huff
chevrolet.gif
+ 0:00.637
10 Tiago Monteiro
seat.gif
+ 0:00.650

----------------------------------------------------------

He is my favo. Corthals and Coronel defend the honour of Dutch speakers:) (i dont think its correct my English:))

P.S. Can anydody make a skin of the car. Its a nice skin:)

they removed the tyres walls in the first chicane so its looks now like the 2007 race o7 track
but that would sugest the track is faster
maybe they have rised the curbs in the first chicane so you cant drive over them without loosing massive speed ??
anyone can confirm that ??

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 37 13.6%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 31 11.4%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 37 13.6%
  • Thursday

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Friday

Votes: 91 33.5%
  • Saturday

Votes: 156 57.4%