1.2 Blue Flag Testing

Test Video:

For this blue flag test:

1) I chose Singapore due to its mix of both tight slow corners and fast sweeping corners. It also has two pretty good straights but is overall a power circuit.

2) I placed drivers in 1st and 12th to see the different effect of blue flags (passing back markers and being passed as a back marker)

3) I didn't push on strategies for lapping other drivers.

Results:

- 21 blue flag passes.
- 3 of the 21 passes cost more than 2 seconds of time to be lost.
- 1 of the 21 passes resulted in weird clipping through a back marker, no time was lost but it was a bit strange.
- Of the 18 good passes time lost was between .5 and 1 second.
- When shown a blue flag the driver looses between 1 to 3 seconds.

Conclusion: Imo blue flags are where they should be, as a simulation they are duplicating real life blue flag although some of the time it may be a bit unrealistic. One could argue the simulation is getting realistic results due to imperfect AI instead of true simulation but I'm happy with what I have seen so far.

Problems that still exist:

- Still very hard to un-lap yourself due to blue flag triggering from a very far distance.
- Cars still run out of fuel near the end of the race, although it is a bit less frequent.

Test Video:

For this blue flag test:

1) I chose Singapore due to its mix of both tight slow corners and fast sweeping corners. It also has two pretty good straights but is overall a power circuit.

2) I placed drivers in 1st and 12th to see the different effect of blue flags (passing back markers and being passed as a back marker)

3) I didn't push on strategies for lapping other drivers.

Results:

- 21 blue flag passes.
- 3 of the 21 passes cost more than 2 seconds of time to be lost.
- 1 of the 21 passes resulted in weird clipping through a back marker, no time was lost but it was a bit strange.
- Of the 18 good passes time lost was between .5 and 1 second.
- When shown a blue flag the driver looses between 1 to 3 seconds.

Conclusion: Imo blue flags are where they should be, as a simulation they are duplicating real life blue flag although some of the time it may be a bit unrealistic. One could argue the simulation is getting realistic results due to imperfect AI instead of true simulation but I'm happy with what I have seen so far.

Problems that still exist:

- Still very hard to un-lap yourself due to blue flag triggering from a very far distance.
- Cars still run out of fuel near the end of the race, although it is a bit less frequent.

well thats a very good example of how it should be but there are many races where it's so much worse than this. sometimes it takes me 1-3 sec. as you said to overtake a lapped car and sometimes it takes me about a whole lap to get passed. the only thing thats still **** is that lapped cars sometimes overtake me again after i lapped them.

well thats a very good example of how it should be but there are many races where it's so much worse than this. sometimes it takes me 1-3 sec. as you said to overtake a lapped car and sometimes it takes me about a whole lap to get passed. the only thing thats still **** is that lapped cars sometimes overtake me again after i lapped them.

I agreed that overall pace should make lapped cars not try to retake the position after being lapped, I noticed this is a few other tests i did, it is very prevalent when the car being lapped has the same pace as the lapping car.

In my testing on ~6 different tracks i had about 10 - 20% of blue flag overtakes be over 2 seconds. To be honest that is correct, if we want this to be a true simulation blue flags shouldn't work all the time. In F1 and other race series blue flags are a constant burden on drivers. I think we are headed in the right direction now, hopefully we will see instances of it taking more than a lap to get by blue flagged cars diminish.

Last edited:
I agreed that overall pace should make lapped cars not try to retake the position after being lapped, I noticed this is a few other tests i did, it is very prevalent when the car being lapped has the same pace as the lapping car.

In my testing on ~6 different tracks i had about 10 - 20% of blue flag overtakes be over 2 seconds. To be honest that is correct, if we want this to be a true simulation blue flags shouldn't work all the time. In F1 and other race series blue flags are a constant burden on drivers. I think we are headed in the right direction now, hopefully we will see instances of it taken more than a lap to get by blue flagged cars diminish.

yup one mroe thing to mention uhm sometimes also in your test video the driver behind me slips through and i stay behind the lapped car. i noticed that a couple of times but that happens not often to be fair.

yup one mroe thing to mention uhm sometimes also in your test video the driver behind me slips through and i stay behind the lapped car. i noticed that a couple of times but that happens not often to be fair.

Yeah I've had that problem a few times, I've had it both to my advantage and at my expense. I can't figure out why it is though, due to it happening so infrequently. Have you noticed if it was happening on a sharp corner?

this is consistent with what im now seeing in the game aswell. I dont think blue flags is much of an issue anymore. It can happen in real life that you land up being slowed by 5 seconds if you catch backmarkers racing each other. Im not saying everything is perfect, it could still be tweaked further but its certainly not bad anymore.

Few issues they should fix now:
- AI running out of fuel/breaking down on the last laps. I still get gifted positions because of this and its just not right.
- Wet/Int lap times are not right. On a track in the dry, you might do 1:30.x, when the track is wet enough for inters and you put them on, you will still do a 1:30.x or very close. you should be lapping way over 1:40's in my opinion. Further to this, when the tracking is soaking wet and you have wets on, your times will be 1:30.x. I went through several qualifying sessions where the drivers who had pole set their times with wet tyres when my guys in the dry with slicks only managed like the 8th fastest time. I understand there are factors involved but never should a soaking wet track with wet tyres set even remotely close laptime to dry track with slicks.

the problem with getting lapped again is the blue flag counter, it is 5s since it trigger, considering it start to trigger 3s away, in different situation, like track or particular car or driver, it turn off too soon, and the driver push again to atk till it trigger again.
on steam forum there is a blue flag fix which reduce the distance where the blue flag gonna trigger, so it reduce alot this problem :)

Yeah I've had that problem a few times, I've had it both to my advantage and at my expense. I can't figure out why it is though, due to it happening so infrequently. Have you noticed if it was happening on a sharp corner?

yep its everytime a sharp and tight corner with mostly 2 lapped cars. they slow down so damn much that my car slows down as well and then the car behind me gets passed me. but to be fair it happened only 1 or 2 times during the season
but also the blue flag thing depends on the track your on. sometimes it works very well and sometimes such as monaco, spa or singapore, so especially tight tracks where you dont have the space to overtake it sometimes costs you more than just 4-5 secs. but i mostly had good experiences

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back