¿Why do some cars consume more fps than others?

chef96678

@Simberia
Hello everyone, I am a humble fan who likes to play races against AI, I do not have a very sophisticated computer but it more or less works to spend pleasant moments, in the race I am usually between 30 and 40 fps, in training it goes up more

Now I am downloading mods and some cars do not exceed 15 fps in the race and the game goes wrong, however other cars do not give problems

I would like to know how I can solve the problem of those mods that drop fps, I do not understand why some mods go well and others go wrong

I have assumed that you will have to see something of the physical configuration, I have been playing codes on my own in Ai.ini and car.ini and I have not achieved anything

If you can do me the favor of helping me I would appreciate it

Modded cars don't follow the same standards as stock content, so there just is no benchmark for how much fps they should give you. In a broad overview the problems would be too many/too large textures, too many vertices in the model, and not enough LOD meshes. The textures are fairly fixable, other two you can just toss out the mod, cause it's not gonna be able to be made to work as well as Kunos stuff.

k32oUKS.jpg

Content Manager's showroom has the quickest way to check for issues. On stock AC content you'll see 4 ticks on the LOD slider, corresponding to approximately 250,000, 30,000, 10,000 and 2000 triangles, and object counts decreasing proportionally. If there are less LODs, or these numbers are way off, that's the reason. If these all look +-20% of same values, then go into the car skin folders (Steam/steamapps/common/assettocorsa/content/cars/CAR_NAME/skins/...) and look for files larger than ~5MB, then either resize them if you can open them, or delete them from the skin if not.

It's extremely unlikely, but possible, that the car's data inis would hurt fps. For the most part the parameters don't affect performance; aero.ini and digital_instruments.ini are some of the exceptions, if those files were big enough it's possible they would have CPU effects.

• Deleted member 197115

Most of the times it's the absence of additional LODs with lower details, B, C, D. You can check in CM showroom.

Thanks for answering. I have already looked at it, the cars that give problems have many objects or many triangles, the skins do not look large, even so I will take into account the topic of skins for other cars

I don't understand why modders make cars that don't work properly, or I suppose they work well on very powerful computers

I'll have to throw those defective mods in the trash, it hurts

• Deleted member 197115

Thanks for answering. I have already looked at it, the cars that give problems have many objects or many triangles, the skins do not look large, even so I will take into account the topic of skins for other cars

I don't understand why modders make cars that don't work properly, or I suppose they work well on very powerful computers

Because making LODs is "boring" and time consuming. Unfortunately for low/mid spec PCs and VR users these mods are essentially a throw away.

Because making LODs is "boring" and time consuming. Unfortunately for low/mid spec PCs and VR users these mods are essentially a throw away.
I'm still pretty convinced, despite all wisdom to the contrary (and maybe I'll attempt to put some money where my mouth is!) that an automatic algorithm could defeature the LODs to make smaller ones... remembering that the downsizing doesn't have to be perfect, and could in fact be really really bad (in my view).
In a case like this, where cars are virtually useless for online racing with a full grid, even a really bad version of the model (so it looks a bit 1980s when far away) would be a huge win since it would make racing the cars viable.
Given a mod with only LOD A, if you could drop it into a program which would generate the smaller LODs about as well as a 4 year old child might, wouldn't you do it? I would, but then I'd be happy to race in wire-frame graphics if it was the only way to keep the fps acceptable so maybe I'm a little unusual nowadays ;)

Edit: I just found this mod which does a basic job. Sadly, while the visual results are as good/bad as might be expected, the performance improvement is pretty modest (maybe because it reduces the tri count a lot but the object count stays pretty high).

Last edited:
I do not care so much about graphics, I care about driving and having fun, I do not have any shader activated, I would not mind losing graphics to gain fps and fun

In fact I am thinking of switching to gtr2, which does the same function for me and has almost the same mods

Also I'm a little unusual

it's because most modders (those releasing their cars/tracks on facebook or generally outisde of Race Department) tend to not model the cars at all, they take a model from some other game, make them "work" in AC and present it as their own. And simply lack the skill and will to make a good mod.
@Neilski there are tools to "automate" LODs, but they can't work as good as a manual process. They often shrink the vert load of the objects, but can't delete subobjects and materials, meaning the GPU load hardly changes.

Modded cars don't follow the same standards as stock content, so there just is no benchmark for how much fps they should give you. In a broad overview the problems would be too many/too large textures, too many vertices in the model, and not enough LOD meshes. The textures are fairly fixable, other two you can just toss out the mod, cause it's not gonna be able to be made to work as well as Kunos stuff.

k32oUKS.jpg

Content Manager's showroom has the quickest way to check for issues. On stock AC content you'll see 4 ticks on the LOD slider, corresponding to approximately 250,000, 30,000, 10,000 and 2000 triangles, and object counts decreasing proportionally. If there are less LODs, or these numbers are way off, that's the reason. If these all look +-20% of same values, then go into the car skin folders (Steam/steamapps/common/assettocorsa/content/cars/CAR_NAME/skins/...) and look for files larger than ~5MB, then either resize them if you can open them, or delete them from the skin if not.

It's extremely unlikely, but possible, that the car's data inis would hurt fps. For the most part the parameters don't affect performance; aero.ini and digital_instruments.ini are some of the exceptions, if those files were big enough it's possible they would have CPU effects.
Apologies if someone else has already pointed this out and I have missed it but this explanation does not hold water for me. Because I was becoming frustrated tuning my mediocre 2070S i7 system for fps and getting variable results, I tested 27 of my favourite cars on a Kunos track and the car that had the worst performance in fps was Audi R8 LMS Ultra (a Kunos car). The best performing car for fps was a Cupra Leon Competicion 2022 (a non Kunos car). The difference was substantial. On low quality settings the Cupra did nearly 150fps in a standing start lap and the Audi did 122. Most of the rest of the cars (mostly non-Kunos) managed around 140fps. A Lotus 3-Eleven only achieved 131fps. On non Kunos tracks a similar pattern emerged but an occasional modded track showed an even more extreme difference. Also at higher quality settings similar percentage differences emerged. I really have no idea what causes these differences but I wondered if the way a windscreen was created had something to do with it, especially as the Lotus 3-Eleven has hardly any windscreen.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.