Wheel settings after update

Peter

who cares
All the old control sets are terminated with the update.

The advised settings are 900° and 30 wheel lock, but we tested and used default wheel driver settings without damper and spring.

For example Thrustmaster T500 60%/100%/100%/0%/0% and TX 75%/100%/100%/0%/0%.

Logitech uses 270° default, so the wheel lock is set to 10 in game.
Feel free to change that to 900°/30.

All wheels that have 900° should use this from now on as a default setting.

The target for the team is to have an automatic rotation/lock for all wheels/cars in the future.

Still nobody has an idea why my understeer setting doesn't work? All the other settings work perfectly, only the understeer setting has absolutely not the slightest effect. No matter which setting I chose nothing changes and there is no impact on FFB when the car starts to understeer. :(

Just as a reminder I use the TM T500RS with the settings recommended by Peter Koch (60%/100%/100%/0%/0%). I use the latest driver (2.8.16.0) and firmware (43) from TM.

My T500RS is hardly of any use now. If I can't feel the loss of grip I could as well drive with a non-FFB wheel (for a fraction of the price). Feeling all the bumps is a very nice effect, but it doesn't really help when it comes to feeling the borderline in corners.

I just can't believe that this behaviour is normal. Otherwise I wondered how anyone could consider the new FFB as a progress. Everything was fine whith the old FFB, but now it's messed up for me.

Devs? Anyone? Please... :cry:

Shovas

Premium
No matter which setting I chose nothing changes and there is no impact on FFB when the car starts to understeer. :(
Same here. I've been saying that, for a G27, it feels as though in-game force output is maxed out (probably way more than max) so that even the function of the understeer setting isn't enough to let you feel anything.

We need a force meter in-game to get a better handle on ffb.

Otherwise I wondered how anyone could consider the new FFB as a progress. Everything was fine whith the old FFB, but now it's messed up for me.
It's definitely progress but maybe in this one aspect it might not be good enough on certain wheels.

You really think ffb was 'fine' before this update? That was one of the major reasons for this release - to fix ffb. It definitely wasn't fine before.

Hi everybody,

I think I found a solution/workaround. Although I'm a quite experienced user of SIMBIN sims and know where the control set file is located, so far I hadn't looked inside this file with a text editor because I remembered that it was encrypted in earlier versions of RRRE (maybe my memory was wrong, but whatever...). But since I was starting to become a bit desperate I just tried it. And voilà the control set file is not encrypted and I can edit it by myself. So I'm not limited to the few ingame settings anymore. :D

For everybody who doesn't already know this, the control set file can be found under:

C:\Users\<YOUR_USERNAME>\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ControlSet\<NAME_OF_YOUR_CONTROL_SET>.rcs

EDIT THIS FILE AT YOUR OWN RISK - IF YOU SCREW IT UP AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO UNDO IT, IT'S EXCLUSIVELY YOUR OWN FAULT! ;)

Close RRRE and open the file in a text editor and you can see all control set settings. You can use the standard Windows notepad, I prefer PSPad or notepad++ for text editing, they have more features for other use too.

If you scroll down a good way you will find the lines starting with "FFB", which are, obviously, the lines for the FFB settings. Regarding my issues I found these two lines:

FFB steer force front grip exponent
FFB steer force rear grip exponent

Both their default values are "1". At first I changed them to "2" having an immediate effect in the direction I was looking for (YOOHOO...:D). Then I changed them to "3" and I'm quite happy now. I guess I will tweak them a bit more, but for now I can drive again and feel the car losing grip. :thumbsup:

To prevent yourself from irreversibly screwing up your file I recommend making a backup before touching it. Otherwise the only thing to undo a broken control set would be to delete it and make a completely new steering setup from scratch - which is not a nice thing if you have to do a lot of button-assignments and stuff like that.

I hope that maybe I could help others too who have "special" demands regarding their FFB.

Be careful, I guess some of the settings might be able to damage your wheel if you overdo it. :cool:

Best Regards!

Thanks @Arthur Spooner ,that seems to work for me too (T500rs) :thumbsup:, I had the same problem as you, no weeker ffb under understeer.
Could you please share your other settings in game?

I agree, separate topics for separate wheels are needed, or all these infos will get lost

No luck on a G27. :(
It worked here on mine. Didn't work the first time I tried. Went back into the file and saw that the changes I had made went back to 1??? Did it again and also lowered the Overall Effects Strength to 70 in Logitech profiler . Went back into game,,,,way better,,,, but to week. Turned profiler back to 100 and in game FFB to 68. Feels a lot better.

Shovas

Premium
To confirm, this is the value (3) we're experimenting with? -->

FFB steer force front grip exponent="3" // Range 0.0 to infinity, recommended: around 1.0. Exponent applied to grip weight.
FFB steer force rear grip exponent="3" // Range 0.0 to infinity, recommended: around 1.0. Exponent applied to rear grip loss weight.

Thanks @Arthur Spooner ,that seems to work for me too (T500rs) :thumbsup:, I had the same problem as you, no weeker ffb under understeer.
Could you please share your other settings in game?

I agree, separate topics for separate wheels are needed, or all these infos will get lost

Darn it. Still noughta.

@Arthur Spooner can you provide the rest of your profiler and in-game ffb settings? Thanks

Hi,

my steering force settings are all on default values (100, 100, 100, 80, 0). I reduced smoothing to 0 and overall strength to 75. I also reduced the effect settings (0, 20, 10, dunno --> I'm at work now ;) and forgot the value for the shift effect, must be something around 30).

My GUESS is that "FFB steer force grip weight" is the understeer setting from the menu (I will try to confirm this tonight). And the settings "FFB steer force front grip exponent" and "FFB steer force rear grip exponent" serve as some kind of multiplier (rcs-file says: "exponent") for the first one.

While "FFB steer force grip weight" is a well known setting from older sims already (I always raised this setting to 1.0 in Race07/GTR/GTR2 for example), the other two seem to be introduced with the new FFB for RRRE now. My GUESS (again) is that the FFB calculations in the background have changed significantly so that just putting "FFB steer force grip weight" to 1.0 just isn't enough anymore to get the same amount of effect as before. You also have to fiddle with the "exponents" to tweak the amount of effect that is applied to FFB. Advantage is that now you have two separate values for front and rear you may tweak to your liking. Before there was only one global setting.

@ Shovas regarding profiler settings:
You should always keep in mind that we are using different kinds of wheels. But since I had a G25 before the T500RS I happen to know that both wheels have something in common. And what goes for a G25 might also go for a G27. The thing they have in common is that you have to deactivate all spring and damper settings in the profiler. These effects (at least for me) seem to have the effect that they kind of "overlay" every other FFB effect. Enabling spring and/or dampers in the profiler always leads to a very dumbed feeling. It's impossible to have subtle grip-effects with these settings enabled.

That's all I can say about profiler settings, the rest of my profiler settings are default.

At last I'd like to mention that now finally I had a few really nice online races yesterday evening. Before it was an annoyingly hard struggle to even keep the car on the road without any feeling for the borderline. Now driving in RRRE has returned to be a very convenient experience again. :)

It worked here on mine. Didn't work the first time I tried. Went back into the file and saw that the changes I had made went back to 1??? Did it again and also lowered the Overall Effects Strength to 70 in Logitech profiler . Went back into game,,,,way better,,,, but to week. Turned profiler back to 100 and in game FFB to 68. Feels a lot better.

Maybe the first time you edited the file you didn't really leave the game but only Alt+Tabbed to Windows? From my experience the control settings are loaded to memory when you start the game and changed only in memory while you run the game and make adjustments. Then these adjustments are written to the file when you leave the game. So when you make changes to the file while the game is already running they will not have any effect because you don't change the values in memory. And as soon as you leave the game the values from memory will be written back to the file overwriting your changes that never reached memory.

But that's only a guess based on observation...reality might be different... ;)

To confirm, this is the value (3) we're experimenting with? -->

FFB steer force front grip exponent="3" // Range 0.0 to infinity, recommended: around 1.0. Exponent applied to grip weight.
FFB steer force rear grip exponent="3" // Range 0.0 to infinity, recommended: around 1.0. Exponent applied to rear grip loss weight.

IMHO it shouldn't make a difference, but maybe it makes a difference if you put in "3.0" instead of "3". Worth a try at least I think...

Calum McLure

Did ye, aye?
I might have solved most of my problems with this. Went on rFactor 2 this morning and was having the same issue as I was on this :laugh: steering felt really jerky even with my normal Steering Lock/Wheel Rotation setting, so I went to check my Fanatec profile thing and it said it couldn't open because there was an issue connecting with the USB port.

Changed the USB port the wheel was plugged into and voila, we're good! :rolleyes:

I take back the nasty things I said in my head to you Sector3 :unsure::D

Following idea:
Once you found your appropriate FFB setup make 4 copies of that .rcs file in your folder. Choose a different <FFB steer force balance mode="---"> value from 0 to 4 for each file, and rename each for instance like balance 0, balance 1 ...

When you change the file name in your file manager also put that name in the first line <Name="---"> of the .rcs file. So, for a balance0.rcs named file the value should be <Name="balance0">. Now you can switch between the 5 different ffb profiles in your game and test which force balance mode you prefer.

For testing and to have the less possible additional ffb effects interfering with the core effects, I set the parameters Smoothing, Engine Vibrations, Brake Vibrations and Shift Effect on 0, set <FFB Effects Level="4"> on 1 or 2, and <FFB steer friction coefficient="-.-"> <FFB steer friction saturation="-.-"> <FFB steer damper coefficient="-.-"> <FFB steer damper saturation="-.-"> on 0. (Same bug here: can't lower Brake Vibrations below 20%)

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 86 19.4%
  • €151-500

Votes: 121 27.3%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 73 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 39 8.8%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 43 9.7%
  • €3001-5000