Wheel settings after update

Peter

who cares
All the old control sets are terminated with the update.

The advised settings are 900° and 30 wheel lock, but we tested and used default wheel driver settings without damper and spring.

For example Thrustmaster T500 60%/100%/100%/0%/0% and TX 75%/100%/100%/0%/0%.

Logitech uses 270° default, so the wheel lock is set to 10 in game.
Feel free to change that to 900°/30.

All wheels that have 900° should use this from now on as a default setting.

The target for the team is to have an automatic rotation/lock for all wheels/cars in the future.

From the responses of some of the S3 guys about FFB being 'personal' and 'subjective' it looks like they long ago gave up trying to please everyone and haven't put any time into figuring out how to get their ISI 1.5 engine to deliver what the car physics make the car the feel like at the wheel.

I've heard rFactor still suffers from this without RealFeel?

I want to love this game. I've invested a lot of time and money into it because I believe the S3 guys can do something fantastic based on their SimBin history. I still have a lot of fun with it even with these issues but it leaves a disappointing feeling and I go back to iRacing for when I want to 'get serious'.

I think the only thing holding back R3E right now is force feedback. They have the best bang for your buck with the cars, tracks, audio and in-game features so far.

PS. That newish thread on the S3 forums from George Ortner about ffb settings had some things I didn't have and improved my ffb experience quite a bit. Still not where it should be in this sim era but better.

From the responses of some of the S3 guys about FFB being 'personal' and 'subjective' it looks like they long ago gave up trying to please everyone and haven't put any time into figuring out how to get their ISI 1.5 engine to deliver what the car physics make the car the feel like at the wheel.

I've heard rFactor still suffers from this without RealFeel?

I want to love this game. I've invested a lot of time and money into it because I believe the S3 guys can do something fantastic based on their SimBin history. I still have a lot of fun with it even with these issues but it leaves a disappointing feeling and I go back to iRacing for when I want to 'get serious'.

I think the only thing holding back R3E right now is force feedback. They have the best bang for your buck with the cars, tracks, audio and in-game features so far.

PS. That newish thread on the S3 forums from George Ortner about ffb settings had some things I didn't have and improved my ffb experience quite a bit. Still not where it should be in this sim era but better.
They are still looking into the ffb effects, its never done, so far not so bad.

Here is my, admittedly speculative, theory on the FFB and floatiness. I think it stems from R3E's origins as more of an arcade/simcade title, which is still in the transition to a full fledged sim (thankfully, getting closer with each update). That said, I only jumped onboard a few months back, after that transition was well underway, so I don't have any firsthand experience of what it was like in its earlier incarnations.

I'll probably get flayed for even drawing this comparison, but what the hell... And I'll preface this by saying that, overall, I like R3E a lot. But the FFB and what I (and some others) perceive as floatiness reminds me a little bit of the exaggerated behavior of arcade titles, such as Grid Autosport. I bought Grid Autosport for cheap during the Steam Thanksgiving sales, and have played it a bit, and I perceive some similarities in those regards. Don't get me wrong, R3E is (IMHO) much better in every way, including the FFB and visual representations of movement. But it does feel to me like some of the things that I and others have reported are subtly reminiscent of the FFB and visual dynamics of arcade/simcade titles, although thankfully not to the same degree.

That kinda makes sense to me, given its original focus. When developing a simcade, there is little reason to invest the time to develop accurate dynamics at a fundamental level, b/c that isn't what those types of games are about. So, in making the shift to a full sim, it seems likely there would be a lot of foundational work that would need to be brought into alignment with those new goals. A ground-up overhaul would take a lot of time, and they probably can't realistically put everything else on hold until it is done. My guess is that they are taking a two-step approach to these kinds of things. First, apply "Band-Aid" fixes to temporarily alleviate some of these issues, while simultaneously and/or subsequently making more fundamental revisions in bits and pieces as time and resources permit.

As anyone whose done any amount of programming can attest, it is almost universally MUCH more difficult and time consuming to make changes to core functionality retroactively, after much has been built on top of it, compared to what is involved in doing so out of the gate. So, I have a lot of sympathy for the difficulty of their task, and how much it must take (and will continue to take) to make such a fundamental shift. On the whole, I think they are making great strides, even in the few months I've owned it, and am confident they will continue to do so. For now, I'm pleased that the recent update got things to a point where my overall enjoyment outweighs the niggles I still have with a few core aspects such as those discussed in this thread.

That ended up being longer than anticipated for a bunch of pure speculation! Just bored at the end of the day, I guess. But I'm curious if others think there is something to it, or if it is just a bunch of bunk.

I think the physics are actually quite good in R3E. Remember audio and force feedback don't tell you about the actual physics of the car. Only the behaviour of the car on the track can tell you that and, from what I see, the cars do behave quite realistically according to your inputs and the car's current motion. Nothing seems drastically arcade-ish from a pure car handling perspective. It's just that visual, audio and force feedback is telling us things that are different than what we see the car doing on the road and in response to our inputs. That's where the disconnect is coming from.

If that's the case, and physics are fine at a low-level, then it's just a matter of improving what takes that data and outputs to the various feedback mechanisms.

Real eye-opener for me was when I was making car physics with rFactor. Suspension geometry and tyres affect the FFB more than anything else. I've been using Realfeel-plugin, of course, as it utilizes real steering rack forces. I assume that such a plugin, implemented one way or another, would already be in R3E, if it was at all possible.

Hi there,
today was the first day where I somehow managed to really improve the steering!
The floatiness is nearly gone or so subtle that it doesn't matter anymore....well, for me at last.

I will just post my steering settings (Fanatec Forza CSR Wheel).
The FFB Setting for my wheel is set to 60-80.

General FFB Settings:
FFB Intensity: 80%
Smoothing: 15%
FFB Spring: 35%
FFB Damper: 80%
FFB Friction: 85%

Steering Force Settings:
Steering Force Intensity: 100%
Understeer: 80%
Vertical Load: 155%
Lateral Force: 120%
Steering Rack: 25%

FFB Effect Settings:
Engine Vibrations: 100%
Brake Vibrations: 20%
Kerb Vibrations: 30%
Shift Effect: 80%

The physics are fine, very good actually. My problem is how the physics translate into FFB. I don't feel enough detail of what the tyres are doing and general weight-shifting of the car. There is a resisting force when cornering but I feel the detail stops there. I also dislike the sloppy centre feel.

I can see why some people accuse the FFB of being 'fake' or 'canned' when it revolves around adjusting a bunch of sliders to taste rather than telling the player "this is how the car feels". It all feels a little simplistic to me, especially when a crucial setting such as steering rack forces doesn't appear to do anything (not on my wheel anyway). It leads me to believe all is not well with FFB. Something isn't right. However plenty of people seem to be more than happy with FFB in R3E so perhaps it's just me. As I have said before, I find the FFB to be adequately usable, quite decent in some ways. To me it just feels disjointed, segregated into categories rather than a FFB system that works as one.

On the plus side I feel the detail of the track surface is conveyed well through the FFB.

The physics are good, the only thing that really puts me off it and more so with the likes of the GT's is the cornering, take the first chicane at Zolder as an example, going through there the front end just feels like it has a life of it's own and the car wanders off by itself, there's no connection with the wheel what so ever and thats just down to the deadzone in the middle, if they sorted that they would get rid of that stupid snap over steer on corner exit just about every car in the game suffer's from as well, we shouldn't have to be bumping up forces left right and centre just to get a car to drive around a track the way it should, it's become a frustrating experience for the most part

The physics are good, the only thing that really puts me off it and more so with the likes of the GT's is the cornering, take the first chicane at Zolder as an example, going through there the front end just feels like it has a life of it's own and the car wanders off by itself, there's no connection with the wheel what so ever and thats just down to the deadzone in the middle, if they sorted that they would get rid of that stupid snap over steer on corner exit just about every car in the game suffer's from as well, we shouldn't have to be bumping up forces left right and centre just to get a car to drive around a track the way it should, it's become a frustrating experience for the most part
Totally agree.

April 8 2015 build. Here are my favorite settings. It's the first time I'm starting to understand what the car is doing through FFB.

MMOS based DD wheel.
Servo motor: Mige 130st-m10010 @11 Amps

I bet these settings can apply to the Logitech G25/G25 if you increase the Force Feedback intensity -and probably get rid of the Damper & Friction.

raceroom-mmos.png

Any suggestions welcome!!

I'm having a problem Not being able to driving my car's after this New Build last Tuesdays Update. I can get into my car and start it up (in practice mode) I can put it into gear and it shows (1st gear). But, it won't move at all. Does anybody have a idea on this. I've gone though All of the Controls settings and everything else in the setup of the Sim. I've been in there for Hours & Hours trying to figure this out since the New Build last week. ANY Help would be Really a Help as I'm at my Wits End.....:(

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%