What is the best F1 season ever?

I attended every formula one race at Watkins Glen from 1969 till 1980 and several in Canada during those same years. Personally for me, the 70's were the best years. Aero was coming in and many inovations happend during those years. Wings, tire sizes, slicks the Tyrell P34 six wheeler! All the cars looked different, not just different paint but different shapes. V8's, V10's and V12's. The best drivers, Lauda, Hunt, Hill, Stewart, Pace, Hulme, Brabham, Surtees, Iyx, Prost, Hailwood, Mezario, Fitipaldi. You got to love the tires from that era.

Hard to really compare. Not a lot of coverage in the 50's and 60's of F1. Wide World of Sports probably had the most coverage. Plus half the people here probably are much more into more modern racing. I mean really, who here actually knows what Wide World of Sports really is ?
Personally I hate wings, aero, advertising and sponsors.When aero came in it changed everything, and experimenting on things literally killed a lot of drivers, then again everyone was used to that .
I enjoy watching drivers test there limits, which is why I love rain in modern F1, it takes the emphasis off the tech and back on the drivers.
I sure would have liked to see 50's racing.
I still like the 60's and 70's, but so many modern drivers were great to watch as well. But I sure can't stand cookie cutter tracks from now.

Hard to really compare. Not a lot of coverage in the 50's and 60's of F1. Wide World of Sports probably had the most coverage. Plus half the people here probably are much more into more modern racing. I mean really, who here actually knows what Wide World of Sports really is?
"The thrill of victory . . ."

"And the agony of defeat."

My favorites are the seasons where a Michael Schumacher is fighting for the world championship crown against drivers like Hill, Häkkinen, Villeneuve and Montoya had to fight. There were some brilliant scenes.
The overtaking maneuver in Spa e.g. one on the left, the other on the right of a slow-moving vehicle. Absolutely unforgettable. These four drivers were the only ones who pushed Schumi to his limits. Also unforgettable the season Senna against Prost.
Today everything is decided at the green table or whoever cries the most wins.
One reason why I won't be watching F1 from this season onwards.

I have recently watched back the '91 season and I must say I think it's my all time favorite with all these beautiful classic tracks :inlove:
I agree with you unreservedly.
The old racetracks were still something for absolutely courageous racers and they were more colourful, more varied thanks to the billboards.
Look at all the irrelevant parking lots.
Bahrain is a good example as is Paul Ricard and Silverstone. I could list a lot more.
Run-off zones that you no longer see where they end, all this fuss about race track limits. Then the castration of Monaco. The same advertising banners on every race track.
Computer games graphics on TV. Statistics that take the tension.
None of that existed then. Asphalt, white line and then it was the end of driving.
You were out of the race or you were in the tire stacks.
Today you might lose a few seconds.
Of course, there are still modern racetracks that really require courage, but they are rare and mostly street courses or smaller racing series than Formula 1 drive there.
How did the Dutchman answer the question of whether he could imagine driving the Indycar in America?
I'm not tired of life. That says it all already.

My favorites are the seasons where a Michael Schumacher is fighting for the world championship crown against drivers like Hill, Häkkinen, Villeneuve and Montoya had to fight. There were some brilliant scenes.
The overtaking maneuver in Spa e.g. one on the left, the other on the right of a slow-moving vehicle. Absolutely unforgettable. These four drivers were the only ones who pushed Schumi to his limits. Also unforgettable the season Senna against Prost.
Today everything is decided at the green table or whoever cries the most wins.
One reason why I won't be watching F1 from this season onwards.

I like the years of his systematic buildup to his 3rd title.
I remembering him saying it would take him 5 years to turn Ferrari into champion car.
If not for equipment failure broke his leg he would have done it in 4 years.

i think 2021 with the battle and the high pressure both on Lewis and Max was just really biting fingernails exciting,

car wise i always had a massive weakness for the 2011 Mclaren from Lewis ;)

I agree with you.
2021 was again, after a long time, a season that was exciting.
Unfortunately, the ending was anything but exciting.
This world championship title was not won, it was determined.
Howling around multiplied by influence divided by boredom (Lewis and Mercedes just won too many titles in a row) results in a new world champion. That's how I see it.
Others may have a different opinion.
I also know that many decisions are made behind closed doors. It was and always will be because there is too much money involved. But what happened in the last race clearly showed that the teams and drivers have too much influence on the regulations.
Ecclestone once said to a driver who was upset about something, I don't remember the season. Shut your mouth. You are just a driver.
And old Bernie is right about that.
Even Villeneuve once said that he's only a driver and therefore he doesn't think much of eating habits or fitness training.
And this man took the F1, Indy 500 and Indycar titles.

I think much of the 2021 season is the worst - there was some exciting parts but in the end woeful inconsistent stewarding and direction throughout.
This escalated toward the end of the season particularly in Brazil and Saudi Arabia, and the hints there that decisions may have been less random and more for a particular desired outcome.
The race directors actions and selective unfair treatment of final three lapped cars that were effectively excluded from the end of the race will forever be incomprehensible to me.

As of this post after Azerbejan GP right now. All 10 teams in the points. Max and Perez both have a shot at tittle. But i think they are pushing to hard to soon. If they are not carefull they can find themselves going over engine cap. This makes scence since they went way over budget. So Alonso in the back door or even Lewis on His tail can get a better finish becuse the smart teams are pacing themselves. It's a long season.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.