What is the best F1 season ever?

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
With no GP on TV this weekend it's time to dive into the history of Formula One.

If I want to watch back the best Formula One season in history which year would that be?

Quite subjective, many seasons have been interesting for various reasons. But I suggest 1978. The year Lotus stunned the F1 community with its innovative ground effects model 79 and sent the other teams scrambling to develop their own versions in a futile attempt to remain competitive while Mario Andretti "drove off into the distance". Brabham's response was the notorious "fan car", so effective it was banned after only one race. The year Renault, amidst much derision, fielded a tiny 1.5L turbo V6; it screamed like a banshee, produced amazing amounts of power from such a meager displacement, and exploded mid-race with monotonous regularity. The year Arrows scored their first GP points (despite ongoing litigation with the Shadow team over "stolen" chassis designs ...Shadow won, and Arrows went on to produce one of the ugliest F1 cars ever to compete), the year Williams first appeared as an eponymous team, and the year the colorful Hesketh team folded. Two unknowns made their first races in 1978 - Nelson Piquet and Rene Arnoux - and rising star Ronnie Peterson lost his life after a multi-car crash on the first lap of the Italian GP. The year Gunnar Nilsson, slated to drive for Arrows, was unable to participate due to ill health, finally losing his battle with cancer twelve days after the Canadian GP; he was only 29.

For me this technological variety made these years much more interesting than modern F1, which is rapidly approaching spec racer status.

And mention should be made of 1937, when the Mercedes W125 made over 600hp from a supercharged straight eight and could reach 200mph ...on skinny tires, wire wheels, no wings, and a six inch ground clearance. It would be forty years before F1 saw that much hp again.

What is the best F1 season ever?​

As mentioned above its completely subjective.
And personally I can also feel that ones age and entusiasm plays a huge part in this assessment.
But for me 1 race in 1991 stands out
Probably because I was young and had been driven on my motor bike (Yamaha XZ550) all the way from Denmark through Germany >Hoek of Holland(ferry) to Silverstone.
And then my hero Nigel Mansell from a poor position on the grid lap by lap advanced posisions until he won the 1991 Silverstone GP.
All the english F1 entusiasts was extatic.:p

I watched the race on my plastic camping chair sitting in Club Corner exactly where this picture is taken.
Haha and saw Senna did refuse a lot of offers from other drivers to be taxied back to pit.
No he wanted only to be taxied back by the Winner Mansell ;)
1991 season was a great season :laugh:

Mansell Senna lift winning the 1991 British Grand.jpg

It is realy hard to say what was the best season ever. You would have to divide the seasons by decade 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's 2000's 2010s 2020's. The rules and sport is constantly evolving so it is impossible to compare eara's as elements where available or unavailable. So the best season is always the present one. Dont get me wrong i have read and learned about Grand Prix racing as it was before i was born in 1975. At the end of the day work is being done to make cars and tracks safer. Also our knowledge of medicine and technology is constantly advancing.So the best racing is right now in the present.

I would vote for 1998.

How are you defining 'best season' ?
Is it a great championship battle or a season with the most exciting highlights?

other great seasons : 2003, 1994, 2010, 2012

2003, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010 and 2012 are all bangers, but narrowing it down to one or two it would be 2007 or 2008 for me. They were just awesome.

86 was wild, Senna took so many poles and all his qualifying pole laps were simply spectacular. Qualifying in 80s F1 cars were wild to watch, it was like they were pushing these crazy go-karts to it's limits with their lives on the line every lap. Just looking at how the cars jerk and twitch around the corners were exhilarating.

If we were to talk about modern GPs, then I guess 21 is the most exciting one of this era, despite all the controversy. I do regret that Max didn't win the final race without the safety car controversy, but if we were to look at the whole season as a whole, it was just exciting to watch.

I didn't watch or followed F1 from 2006-2017 apart from what could he heard on the radio or so.
I got 2009 and 2012 as recommendations to watch first if I'd like to see some exciting seasons.
2009 isn't that dramatic but it was good fun to watch these 10-15 minutes F1 weekend summaries in f1tv! Brawn GP doing the one-year-wonder with the extremely good start into the season and then hanging in there, hoping for the rest to not overtake them in the championship!

2012 was all over the place with lots of different frontrunners on each track!

1982. You can't say such a tragic year is one of the best, but interesting? The Monaco gp that year is the race that no one seemed capable of winning, just madness. The whole year was upside down. The turbos kept blowing up or running out of fuel, and the Cosworth snuck through to take the Championship. Rosberg won only one race and was champion after tragedy struck down both Ferrari drivers.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed 1993, as it was the first season I watched after getting hooked on F1GP on the Amiga. It wasn't a particularly interesting season, but you never forget your first!
Also had my favourite livery and driver ever

gp_monaco_1993_012.jpg

1996 was my favourite for excitement.

Last edited:
[Gitane livery.. :inlove: thanks.. ]

Thinking about this for a while..
(not braggi'n.. lol).. but the old
stuff I've seen, don't have the good
picture quality compared to
recent footage ... :thumbsup:

Last edited:
1955 was the year in which I became aware of F1 and its amazing (and to me)
beautiful Mercedes and Maserati cars, as reported in "Road & Track".

Single best F1 experience would be hearing the Matra V12 at Montreal.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea