rF2 Week 32: Mid-Ohio

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
the first wasn't me, it was bruno...i was just showing him sinking into the "river" of road lol

i think with the downshifts which are too quick, it may be my misunderstanding.
i have seen hamilton quick shifting and this for example:
you're going to tell me that it's ok to shift quickly in open wheelers because they have more efficient braking right? :unsure: if so, its probably too much time i spent racing open wheelers.:(
Yes generaly open wheelers allow faster dowshifts. U have to feel it when its too early the back is gonna step out, also the way u are shifting is an engine torture ;)

It isn't about open-wheelers per se, it's about the revs having to be matched to the road speed. If you downshift too quickly you essentially start locking the rears, almost as if you grabbed the handbrake, but because of the differential they aren't even necessarily at the same speed, which is even worse.

1st Thank Andrew for capturing my moment of shame ;) .
Don't know what happend really there, It wasn't due to tyres as I just pitted for a new set.
maybe it was the curb but I took that corner as usual, so I haven't a clue. I can't really investigate it as I haven't setup motec in RF2 yet.

2nd how the heck are you guys going so quick and how did you guys keep your tyres so well?, I know I'm not that slow comparing to some people today. (must been the 1 hour pratice I done).

Now to the quick dowshiting, you can down shitf quickly like shown by Jack on the vid.
the question is how much grip you have, the more you have the more aggressive you can be, that's why you see in F1 they are much more aggressive in shifting due to the downforce generating huge amount in grip.

Also the balance of the car (and on the brake pedal) is an important fact to not forget.

I think ur all absolutely right...particularly @Matt Sentell mentioning rev matching. I think it's to do with slowing the wheels too much compared to the speed of the car.

My issue is, I have also read books which advocate completing gear changes before corner entry..the turning of the wheel. However, fast guys also brake late.so if the braking is later and in a straight line...therefore a fast guy will spend hardly any time on the brakes right? And you have to shift after braking begins.so surely with late, quick braking then the time for downshifts is limited and must be completed quickly? How do you guy get round this problem.i generally try to push the brakes rather than lock. My reflexes are also pretty good...so how come I can't slow the car as quick as the fastest guys? ;-(

@Bruno Sousa Ferreira lol I wasn't taking the pee.it was just to the car sinking.looked weird.i wondered what happened as u were right behind me for about twelve laps despite being slower in qualifying by about one second.i sensed u had found speed . Like you I have no idea where some are getting into 1.22s lol fa too many for my liking!

I think ur all absolutely right...particularly @Matt Sentell mentioning rev matching. I think it's to do with slowing the wheels too much compared to the speed of the car.

My issue is, I have also read books which advocate completing gear changes before corner entry..the turning of the wheel. However, fast guys also brake late.so if the braking is later and in a straight line...therefore a fast guy will spend hardly any time on the brakes right? And you have to shift after braking begins.so surely with late, quick braking then the time for downshifts is limited and must be completed quickly? How do you guy get round this problem.i generally try to push the brakes rather than lock. My reflexes are also pretty good...so how come I can't slow the car as quick as the fastest guys? ;-(
I noticed, that you don't use 100% of your braking according to the telementry. It is important to use the time between going off throttle and going to full brake pressure. Then it is key with the Camaro to downshift quickly (for me) to use the engine braking as well. In your vid there was still plenty of time for the downshift. 200meters before the corners you already shifted into 3rd and its a 2nd gear corner.

For me it is important to reduce the brake pressure in the setup a bit with the Camaro I use 92 and it is important to have a good brake bias.
I setup my braking in a way, that I can brake really aggressive but it is still easy to avoid any locking, which kills your performance on the brakes.

I noticed, that you don't use 100% of your braking according to the telementry. It is important to use the time between going off throttle and going to full brake pressure. Then it is key with the Camaro to downshift quickly (for me) to use the engine braking as well. In your vid there was still plenty of time for the downshift. 200meters before the corners you already shifted into 3rd and its a 2nd gear corner.

For me it is important to reduce the brake pressure in the setup a bit with the Camaro I use 92 and it is important to have a good brake bias.
I setup my braking in a way, that I can brake really aggressive but it is still easy to avoid any locking, which kills your performance on the brakes.

thank you. this is really helpful.
i have set my brake pedal pressure to 100%. is that what you use?
In setup, my brake pressure is usually around 92 % pressure and regardless of bias, if i brake so that telemetry does maximum 100% braking, i seem to get lock. i will work on it. always found rfactor 2 very sensitive on brakes so i've probably got into a bad habit!

Whats wrong with the club here I got a bit out of shape behind Alex and got overtaken into the fast left hander in the last sector, which was optimistic, but I let enough room. The car then in front was a bit out of shape and I had to slow a bit more and then comes Lee Russel from behind turns me round into the wall and drives off like nothing happened. Car wrecked again and out after 2min.
A start accident can always happen, but that was just bullsh*t.

@Frederic Schornstein When did you send this incident report and to who? As there is not a single report from you in our staff forums.

Did you just send somebody a pm or did you send a full report including a video as requested?

Edit: thanks for the pm :thumbsup:

Last edited:
while i can only appologize mr Schornstein for the the very small tap that you incured by myself in lap 1 you did youself say you had to lift for the car that was out of shape in front.
being within a whisker behind you and recieving pressure myself im sure you could put this down to a racing incident as i dont bring my crystal ball to races with me and was unaware of the car infront of you having trouble and having 0.0004 worth of time to adjust to an incident doent leave much time to maneuver.
id also like to ad i did wait for you to pass but you had rage quit by that time so......

anyhow first race for me in these wow their tough hope to do better next time

while i can only appologize mr Schornstein for the the very small tap that you incured by myself in lap 1 you did youself say you had to lift for the car that was out of shape in front.
being within a whisker behind you and recieving pressure myself im sure you could put this down to a racing incident as i dont bring my crystal ball to races with me and was unaware of the car infront of you having trouble and having 0.0004 worth of time to adjust to an incident doent leave much time to maneuver.
id also like to ad i did wait for you to pass but you had rage quit by that time so......

anyhow first race for me in these wow their tough hope to do better next time
No problem mate. Looked more aggressive from my point of view in that situation. I had to quit the car was totally wrecked. There was no way to get to the pits. Next time we will just get close without contact ;-)

Silly mistake on the grid, let the car roll ahead, instead of just brake and have a worst start, i was rewarded with a drive through. I needed mistakes of the front runners, but Aleksi didn t do that favour for me, wd! :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back