Webber: 'The Ball Is In My Court'

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Mark Webber is set to hold showdown talks with Red Bull before the end of the month to thrash out his future with the team.

Webber’s stay at Red Bull has been thrown into doubt in recent weeks following his now infamous spat with team-mate Sebastian Vettel at the Malaysian Grand Prix.

And amid growing talk that team principal Christian Horner is searching for a replacement, Webber is set to sit down and clarify his future.

'The ball is pretty firmly in my court, which is nice, I have to - of course - continue to keep driving well obviously then that ball will go out of your court and other people will roll in to that seat because they're probably going to be more attractive to a team like Red Bull. But for myself the relationship is very good with Dietrich Mateschitz and I've been in touch with him over the last six to eight months and will continue to be on where my thinking's at and where my energy level's at and where my motivation is towards still operating at this sort of level.' The Aussie told ESPN.

It is thought that the Australian wants similar terms to those in Vettel’s new deal or he will consider leaving when his contract expires in order to take up a lucrative role with Porsche Motorsport.

Horner though insists he wants Webber to stay and talks will take place shortly over his future.

‘Our driver pairing is one of the most successful in formula one history. We stand behind this team and will be having a conversation with Mark shortly.’ Horner told ESPN.

If Webber does not commit, Red Bull have drawn up a three-man shortlist of potential replacements, which include Kimi Raikkonen, Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne.

Imaga via YallaF1
View the Post on the Blog

IMHO Webber is not a teamleader. For some reason he has not what it takes to do that (I think he is to nice). But he is one hell of a second driver. I agree with Kjell he deserves a team that puts a lot of effort in him and then he will give a lot back. If he stays at RBR he has to accept that he will be the second driver and will be treated that way. Not so nice from RBR that's the way it is at the moment.

I hate to say this, but, 2010 was Webber's only chance of winning the title.

If he goes to Red Bull, he will be forced to kiss Horner's, Marko's, and Vettel's arses. Surely, Mark does not want more of the same - unless he gets a better pay at RBR, which, seems to imply he's only staying for money.

Vettel will not allow Webber to be anything else but number 2. He wants Michael Schumacher's record. Plus Red Bull has the best handling car. This might be the beginning of the end for Webber if he leaves. I don't think Webber would be as successful with another car. And if he does leave and Kimi comes in. Vettel will be pushed so much harder which is great for Red Bull. I would love to see that battle. Webber will end up being a side note after all is said and done.

And if he does leave and Kimi comes in. Vettel will be pushed so much harder which is great for Red Bull.

That would never happen as Kimi won't accept a no.2 driver role.

I can only see a driver from one of the lower teams replacing Webber as Red Bull's no.2 driver. Vettel wouldn't want a driver alongside him who can possibly win the World Drivers Championship instead of him. The heads at Red Bull wouldn't let that happen either.

There is much truth in many of the above posts.
I will add that its a shame that Malaysia is referred to as "Webbers infamous spat with Vettel" rather than Vettels shameful refusal to follow team orders and the teams acquiscence to this act.
Webber did nothing wrong and his post race interview in the drivers enclosure was incredibly statesmanlike.
He is fast (you dont win Monaco twice and British GP twice if yu are not fast). He is also a strong guy, many would have crumbled if they were hobbled by such inferior treatment within the team.
Looking at the list of potential replacements only Kimi is a top driver and iots far from assured he would come. I hope this leads to Mark getting a nice pay cheque. I guess £10m makes it a little easier to watch the team dance to little Sebs tune.

Webber to McLaren, make it happen! I like the guy and think he deserves a team that puts as much effort into him as he is putting into the team. Not saying RedBull is bad in any way, but they are clearly favoring the little bi... i mean Vettel... :p
Would love to see him alongside Button in McLaren.

Can't see McLaren doing this - only way is if JB quits leaving a seat with Checo.

And why wouldn't they? I'm not thinking it will happen, just hoping, but I can't see any reason for it to not happen.
Edit: I mean, why wouldn't they hire Webber with Button still there, only if he leaves?

JB is signed up for at least two years, and Checo has come in replacing LH with big money sponsors (Vodafone leaving McLaren at the end of 2013 season) and raw talent...so I personally doubt McLaren will have a seat for Webber.

But who knows....we are just mortals on the outside.

If you ask me they should be looking to replace I've got no balls Horner, as his number 1 driver laughs in his face at team orders. Horner is the weakness in the team. What driver would do this to any other team principle? That's the perception I have and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Neither Kimi or Seb would take a #2 spot. So if Webber leaves, I think he should, who do you realistically bring in? Vergne or Ricciardo from Toro? Or do you promote Buemi?

If you ask me they should be looking to replace I've got no balls Horner, as his number 1 driver laughs in his face at team orders. Horner is the weakness in the team. What driver would do this to any other team principle? That's the perception I have and I'm sure I'm not alone.

And how long do you think Horner would have been team boss if he went ahead and punished Seb for not following orders? Horner has superiors to report to as well, and this would be no different no matter which team boss they should hire.

You talking about me?

horner1-lg.jpg

And how long do you think Horner would have been team boss if he went ahead and punished Seb for not following orders? Horner has superiors to report to as well, and this would be no different no matter which team boss they should hire.

Tell that to Ross Brawn in the same race and Rosberg could have over taking Hamliton but he feared the repercussions, but I rather have authority than have the world look like I've no control. Anyhow that's just my opinion.

Tell that to Ross Brawn in the same race and Rosberg could have over taking Hamliton but he feared the repercussions, but I rather have authority than have the world look like I've no control. Anyhow that's just my opinion.
I agree with you Gavin.
What you have in effect is a "Display Management Structure" which is Horner.
But the reality is that Marko is literally The RedBull and Toro Rosso paymaster. So real power rests with him.
Take Korea when he ignored team structure and remonstrated with Alguisari for not getting off the racing line in free practice for goodness sake! to let little Seb through. Alguisari spoke back and presto is sacked with no notice at the very last race in Brazil. Also the ways he will blame Webber for Sebs errors IE Turkey. .

Vettel is Marko's boy his one and only successful product from his so called "driver development program" So Markos agenda is to champion his boy. He lacks the personal discipline to let them get on with it in a fair fight.So the guy with the cheque book has a favourite
Fortunately for Webber he has a relaitionhip with the Mateshitz and that neuters Marko somewhat and prevents him sacking him at will.

A manager needs to manage and if your drivers ignore you you are not managing you are coping.
If the Team Principal had real power his orders would be followed such as in the Brawn Rosberg example given.

On another above topic my tip for #2 driver at McLaren next season is Stoffel Van Doorne. New to Formula Renault 3.5 and electrifying. and a "McLaren find"

And what you wrote David just further "proves" my point, it's not Horners fault that he's a puppet in the hands of Marko, and if Ross Brawn had been team principal at Red Bull I'm quite sure he would be handling the situation quite similar to Horner, unless he had a burning desire to get sacked that is.

Neither Kimi or Seb would take a #2 spot. So if Webber leaves, I think he should, who do you realistically bring in? Vergne or Ricciardo from Toro? Or do you promote Buemi?
I don't know, I think that Kimi and Vettel could co-exist as teammates. They're friends off track, and if anyone could push the team for an equal status with Vettel it would be Kimi. I think if Webber leaves, realistically Kimi will fill the spot. It will be interesting to see where Webber would go though, I'd say Ferrari because they want a strong number 2, with Massa going to Lotus.

I agree with you Gavin.
What you have in effect is a "Display Management Structure" which is Horner.
But the reality is that Marko is literally The RedBull and Toro Rosso paymaster. So real power rests with him.
Take Korea when he ignored team structure and remonstrated with Alguisari for not getting off the racing line in free practice for goodness sake! to let little Seb through. Alguisari spoke back and presto is sacked with no notice at the very last race in Brazil. Also the ways he will blame Webber for Sebs errors IE Turkey. .

Vettel is Marko's boy his one and only successful product from his so called "driver development program" So Markos agenda is to champion his boy. He lacks the personal discipline to let them get on with it in a fair fight.So the guy with the cheque book has a favourite
Fortunately for Webber he has a relaitionhip with the Mateshitz and that neuters Marko somewhat and prevents him sacking him at will.

A manager needs to manage and if your drivers ignore you you are not managing you are coping.
If the Team Principal had real power his orders would be followed such as in the Brawn Rosberg example given.

On another above topic my tip for #2 driver at McLaren next season is Stoffel Van Doorne. New to Formula Renault 3.5 and electrifying. and a "McLaren find"

I cant argue with a word here. But 3 straight constructors and drivers championships has to count? It seems to me that , in this case, "You don't fix what is broke".

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back