Tracks Watkins Glen International

When was the Onyx club added? I don't see any sign of it here in 65

upload_2018-3-25_11-27-2.png

I think it appeared in '66 [wrong!]. Burned down in 2007.
[Edit: track maps show it as the Paddock Club as far back as 1960. It became the Onyx Club on the track maps in '66 or '67]

"On March 6, 2007, just before 9 pm, fire destroyed the recently remodeled Glen Club situated on top of the esses. Originally called the Onyx Club (named for the sponsor, Onyx Cologne), the Glen Club was used primarily as an upscale venue for race fans. After being recently remodeled, it was being advertised as a social venue for locals to use for weddings, business meetings, etc. No cause could be determined and the building was a total loss. The loss included irreplaceable, unique original motorsport artwork donated to the facility by several artists along with other racing memorabilia. Glen officials were quoted in local media stories as being adamant that the loss of the Glen Club would not affect the 2007 racing schedule."

upload_2018-3-25_8-47-3.png

upload_2018-3-25_8-48-6.png

upload_2018-3-25_8-49-0.png

Last edited:
There may have been something there but it wasn't as big. This is from 69 Can Am
upload_2018-3-25_11-57-28.png

I definitely don't see this in that shot. (This is from 73). One good thing is those grandstands into then T1 were the same all the way to around 2011-12. They were painted red white and blue in later years.They are the same style you find in the iracing version.

small_a7799_WatkinsGlenGP-1973-1036_001.jpg

1970 6 hrs... best overview of Onyx Club and the pedestrian tunnel that I've yet found!
cimg0017.jpg
Huh interesting. It seems way further off track than present day Glen club. I also read earlier after 71 the entire circuit was widened from 24-28 feet to 36 feet wide. So I will have to narrow the whole thing down some.

From the 1970 US Grand Prix report:

"Many of the newcomers to Watkins Glen were surprised to find that a country as vast and wealthy as the USA should have one of the shortest Grand Prix circuits, and several commented also on the narrowness of the track. About half of the surface had been repaired after the catastrophe which struck Watkins Glen during the Manufacturers' Championship/Can-Am weekend in July, but the circuit was still somewhat bumpy and some of the fresh tarmac very slippery. It rapidly became apparent that although Jochen Rindt's existing F1 lap record of 1 min. 04.34 sec. was attainable, it would only be a few, if any, who equalled his fastest practice lap in 1969 of 1 min. 03.62 sec. and that Bruce McLaren's Can-Am qualifying fastest lap (set in 1969) of I min. 02.21 sec. was quite out of reach, even for the latest and most sophisticated of Europe's single-seaters. With their considerably greater horse-power, the Can-Am cars have an appreciable advantage around Watkins Glen, which is deceptively fast and has a lap speed of over 130 m.p.h. for anyone who can break the I min. 03.6 sec. barrier. Speeds such as this mean that the 2.3-mile track is always full of cars: there are plans not only to widen it but also to extend it within the next twelve months. the money being provided out of the proceeds of the racing by the Watkins Glen Grand Prix Corporation. This organisation, entirely non-profit-making, has always organised the Grand Prix along firm but congenial lines and the tradition was continued this year under the guiding hand of its new Executive President, Mal Currie. One of the first tasks faced this year by Currie was a deputation from the drivers to have removed a rather high kerb on the outside of the slow corner which brings the drivers in front of the pits. Earth-moving machines were at work complying with this request on the morning of first practice."

Well this looks like it is doable. Seems to line up to photos and video pretty well. Some minor tweaking of cambers and elevations but I think this may be a worth spending some time on. It is a bit of a different ballgame when you take the armco away. 1970 did have some blue armco but not nearly as much as today. BTW I seem to have a thing for the last year something existed. Not sure why that is.

Seeing those few track objects from the modern layout, really does set the topography, for me atleast. I guess that means its time for yet another... Oh my...

The short course with bus stop is a blast with GT4s, makes me miss it for R3E too, as a decent grid of Group A cars should also be really fun in there. I haven't played in it probably since Papyrus NASCAR games. Thanks for your effort!

Thanks for the images @Emery as they will for sure come in handy. You wouldn't happen to know if the tunnels were big enough to cars do you? I guess they had to be as there is no other way out of the track once the race starts.

I think this will be an interesting project overall. It is almost like a whole new circuit really especially when compared to the modern one. Pit lane will be more than tricky. I'm guessing cars will have to be at an angle like they were in real life.

You wouldn't happen to know if the tunnels were big enough to cars do you? I guess they had to be as there is no other way out of the track once the race starts.

I can't speak for classic Watkins specifically, but many tracks don't have tunnels large enough for cars; even more don't have tunnels large enough for transports.

For instance, Mosport only got a tunnel big enough for transports in 2012 I think it was (maybe even more recently than that). There were two sets of tunnels that would fit cars previously, but any teams would have to wait until the end of the racing to get out of the circuit as the only transporter access was across turn 10.

Same deal at a lot of oval tracks, as well; Michael Waltrip was damn near killed when he hit a transporter gate at Bristol in the 90s. I don't remember if the track had a transporter tunnel or not by that time, but it did eventually get one and the gates have since been replaced with solid concrete walls as well.

As the above examples are pretty recent, relatively speaking, I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were no car tunnels at Watkins in the 70s.

Thanks for the images @Emery as they will for sure come in handy. You wouldn't happen to know if the tunnels were big enough to cars do you? I guess they had to be as there is no other way out of the track once the race starts.

Yes, the tunnels were designed for vehicle traffic. The spectator crowd had gotten large enough that Watkins Glen were trying to manage it. I don't know if the tunnels were big enough for transporters... think they usually came & went at the start/finish gravel crossing known as "False Grid" or "Access Road".

Here are notes on a 1963 map.

upload_2018-3-25_18-6-37.png

1967 tunnel (by the way, you really need to have those farm buildings & trees in the 1970 version ;))
upload_2018-3-25_18-14-59.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-25_18-9-20.png
    upload_2018-3-25_18-9-20.png
    422.6 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
Yes, the tunnels were designed for vehicle traffic. The spectator crowd had gotten large enough that Watkins Glen were trying to manage it. I don't know if the tunnels were big enough for transporters... think they usually came & went at the start/finish gravel crossing known as "False Grid" or "Access Road".

Here are notes on a 1963 map.

View attachment 242973

1967 tunnel (by the way, you really need to have those farm buildings & trees in the 1970 version ;))
View attachment 242975
Yes perfect I see it now. They are obviously not as large as they are today. But they seem to be in the exact same locations. I do notice the dirt from crossing the track on the front straight and top of the esses at wedgewood rd. in the videos. Likely the larger vehicles did that when track was cold.

As for the farm houses I planned on it once I saw them.

Where are these pictures coming from BTW?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back