Tracks Watkins Glen International

Perhaps we need to go to a 10 star rating system, 5 stars being promising but needs improvement and 10 stars being exceptional quality. I see 5 stars use far more often than it should be IMHO.
It's not so much the amount of stars as that people only give less than 5 if it's visibly lacking in multiple areas. Like I don't think Spotter got <5 until Win 10 came out and it crashed for some people. (which I can't fix cause it uses some 3rd party dll for audio)

I'll be honest. My only dance with this track was back in my iracing days which lasted only 5-6 months. It was also one of the two tracks i miss since cancelling my sub but i simply wasn't "hyped" for the glen.

Now that i drove in it with rss gt1 cars, vrc jordan 191 and capri mk1, I finally get the hype. The elevation changes combined with "not boring at all turns" are fantastic. There's only 1 really slow turn but even that one is not boring. Thanks for the mod lilski. You made a glen fan out of me.

I'm already a fan of your work with bridgehampton and rir :D

As threatened, uh, promised, I did a GT Legends race around this track last night - 31 car grid, modded cars from three different sources on a modded track and there was absolutely zero issues. AI behaved itself and didn't get stuck, passed each other cleanly and didn't go crashing into me, zero frame rate issues, everything ran smooth on max settings.

This is the Glen track I've been waiting for. Thank you sir!

Car modelers can learn how important LODs are by loading a full field of 43 cars here. Take the Shelby 427 Cobra (which is relatively conservative for triangle count and has nice LODs) and 42 opponents to see what fps you get. Then do the same with a car mod that doesn't have LODs... I tried the AC Legends Shelby Daytona Coupe rip which at least has an LODb and got less than half the fps of the 427 Cobra.

Just lining things up. Sadly I was not able to find an aerial with the track near center frame. You can pick out how the elevations in the esses shifts the track left and right a bit due to the angle the shot was taken at. You can clearly see how a good portion of the track is the same. I did read somewhere that in the 1971 remodel that they flattened out the top of the esses a bit when building the tunnel. I have a few videos of the old layout so will have to pay close attention to that area to see if it really is much different to what it is today. In any case I'll poke around with this over the weekend and see what comes of it. Modern Watkins is still the priority I just need a short break from texturing and UV mapping hell.

upload_2018-3-24_0-22-8.png

I never drove this track before, but I love it. Thanks for your work LilSki! Driving the Ferrari 312/67 on this is amazing.

Well my original suspicions seem to be true. I had the though that even though the layout changed I didn't think the land profile really changed much. So I just layed it down on the current track and overall things seem to match up fairly well. Thankfully there isn't all that much elevation change in the area that is missing. So between this and use of the 1965 onboard lap I should be able to get something fairly accurate.

upload_2018-3-24_13-36-21.png

Thank You so much LilSki. I'm excited to drive on the 1960's version of Watkins Glen when it's ready. I drove on the Modern Day Short Course with the 1967 F1 car and it was awesome. I'm going to do a Birthday Stream on Friday driving the track with the 1967, 1971 and 1975 cars I'll be using for the upcoming Seasons of my F1 World Championships I do on Assetto Corsa.

I'd never driven the glen before but have seen it in youtube videos etc.

The elevation changes are great in VR and once you get dialled in every corner seems to be a gear higher than you first thought, great track.

Thank you for your amazing work, the fact the track is only v0.7 is just silly, it's already fantastic :D

Well this looks like it is doable. Seems to line up to photos and video pretty well. Some minor tweaking of cambers and elevations but I think this may be a worth spending some time on. It is a bit of a different ballgame when you take the armco away. 1970 did have some blue armco but not nearly as much as today. BTW I seem to have a thing for the last year something existed. Not sure why that is.

Looking good!

1970 pit overview
upload_2018-3-25_7-27-13.png

upload_2018-3-25_7-28-15.png

Final turn & pit entry, note Kendall Tech Center (far right) and Onyx Club (far left) locations.
upload_2018-3-25_7-30-47.png

1967 brake markers before pit entrance
upload_2018-3-25_7-29-17.png

Kendall Tech Center
upload_2018-3-25_7-32-40.png

The Onyx Club that overlooked the esses
upload_2018-3-25_7-34-23.png

And, of course, I'm sure you'll include the original chicane, used for the USRRC races... this is the best overview photo of it that I've ever found, even though it's on the modern layout.
upload_2018-3-25_7-37-11.png

1972 Kendall Garage (not the same as the Kendall Tech Center), which sits diagonally . I think that's the main straight going across the top at the far tree line (closer line of visible paving is what used to be called the chicane road) and on the right is turn 10 with the bog on the other side of the trees.
upload_2018-3-25_7-52-31.png

upload_2018-3-25_8-0-55.png

Last edited:
1967 was when the tunnel on the back straight was built. I recall reading that it produced a bit of a hump (1"-2"?). Guardrail was added to keep racecars from finding the depths of the tunnel.
upload_2018-3-25_8-11-5.png

upload_2018-3-25_8-12-45.png

The tech center appears to be in the same (ish) place today. When I line up that final turn shot to the model the current tech center model lines up and the Glen Club lines up close to where the Onyx Club was. This is the best 60s aerial I could find. I think it was 65 so before the tunnel but you can see a light area in the middle where the tech center was/is. Red line is approx angle of the shot of SCCA cars.

upload_2018-3-25_11-19-28.png

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 281 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing