Wagnum's Graphics Mod

Misc Wagnum's Graphics Mod Final (I promise! ;)

Login or Register an account to download this content
From the screen captures I'm seeing, and the praise from others, this looks like a fantastic mod/filter for AC.

However, I'm having a problem, and it's adversely affecting how your mod looks on my PC. Help me if you can--hopefully it's something simple or obvious...

Here's some screen captures. You can right-click and open each in their own tabs, then quickly switch between them to make comparisons...

http://apexvgear.com/ACPP/

Essentially, everything's dark, and it seems I can't do anything (any longer) to brighten things up.

Previously, for any PP filter, I was able to use Page Up/Down to adjust brightness, I had full adjustment capability, and could make everything very bright or very dark, with 1-1000 brightness (140 was about the brightest I would go on some tracks).

However, something has changed recently. Now it seems I only have adjustment from 1-40%. Once I go above 40%, it doesn't get any brighter. With PP effects turned off, this adjustment has no affect at all, whatsoever (which I thought it did before--maybe I'm wrong).

So essentially, most of the add-on or mod PP filters are too dark or are dull looking, except default looks okay (and strangely, default bright and dark don't look any different). In contrast, quite literally, I have two Paul Ricard filters (came with a track mod), and those are almost too bright and blown out looking, and dash LED rev limiters have way too much "glare effect" on most cars.

I've tried turning off auto exposure, and I've swapped out the SweetFX dll file for the 64-bit version.

For reference, iRacing, AMS, rFactor 2, and even the aged GTR2 look incredible on my monitor (BenQ XR3501). With the correct brightness and PP effects, Assetto Corsa should graphically blow all those out of the water.

Any ideas, suggestions? Am I just getting old, and completely missing something right in front of me?

I'm using a GTX 970.
Hard to say where the issue lies but there certainly is one! As your fully aware of the exposure control that cant be to blame so I'm guess that it must be down to the either the filter doing something odd (clearly installed in the right place), the weather being installed incorrectly, sweet fx or the game itself throwing a tantrum for some reason (Has done it to me on a couple of times for no apparent reason) What id first try is installing all the parts of my mod again manually (post #289 on page 15 of this support section ive gone into detail how to do this in case not entirely sure).
That should fix it but if not try checking the integrity of the game in Steam and then once thats completed install the mod again. That almost certainly will fix it 100% unless you have installed something else that is affecting the look of the game. Let me know how you get on.

In my opinion too much, vibrant colored surfaces often look almost as if they're glowing. This is a comparison with default filter:

output_o_WSMm_Q.gif

Hard to say where the issue lies but there certainly is one! As your fully aware of the exposure control that cant be to blame so I'm guess that it must be down to the either the filter doing something odd (clearly installed in the right place), the weather being installed incorrectly, sweet fx or the game itself throwing a tantrum for some reason (Has done it to me on a couple of times for no apparent reason) What id first try is installing all the parts of my mod again manually (post #289 on page 15 of this support section ive gone into detail how to do this in case not entirely sure).
That should fix it but if not try checking the integrity of the game in Steam and then once thats completed install the mod again. That almost certainly will fix it 100% unless you have installed something else that is affecting the look of the game. Let me know how you get on.

I carefully followed all of the manual installation instructions, and checked the integrity of the install through Steam (it found two files).

Now, everything is bright, and looks as it should (compared to your captures).

However, I no longer have ANY brightness adjustment--doesn't matter if it's 1 or 200. It's still the same.

Now this is an improvement, but I'd like to have some in-game adjustment.

Is something overriding the in-game, Page Up/Down settings? Is there an auto exposure feature that's blocking this adjustment?

I carefully followed all of the manual installation instructions, and checked the integrity of the install through Steam (it found two files).

Now, everything is bright, and looks as it should (compared to your captures).

However, I no longer have ANY brightness adjustment--doesn't matter if it's 1 or 200. It's still the same.

Now this is an improvement, but I'd like to have some in-game adjustment.

Is something overriding the in-game, Page Up/Down settings? Is there an auto exposure feature that's blocking this adjustment?
depending on time of day you wont be able to change certain things as the auto exposure in this game is annoying and so to counteract it doing stupid things ive had to use ambient and sun light to force it to stay in certain exposure settings. For example, midday in clear weather you should be able to brighten it but wont be able to darken. 8AM/6PM you should have full control and movement.

To see what's going on more clearly enable the dev apps (open the following file and change the dev apps setting to 1 - assettocorsa/system/cfg/assetto_corsa.ini) and then open the HDR app from the side menu in game and you'll be able to see what the exposure is doing depending on what you do with the page up/down buttons. The minimum exposure it will go down to is 0.185 and maximum is 0.335. You can change this if you wish by editing the auto exposure settings on the filter but you may end up with it doing some annoying things potentially. Always worth a go though if it seems too bright always or too dark always on the screen your using.

In my opinion too much, vibrant colored surfaces often look almost as if they're glowing. This is a comparison with default filter:

output_o_WSMm_Q.gif
While testing I certainly think it could be brought down a little I agree. The reason why ive used a fair bit is its one of the many ways to mask the less detailed surroundings with all the polygons etc. Think it makes the tracks look better having it higher as it helps soften things out to look less polygon like and more life like. With the cars however being highly detailed works of art i'd have to agree they look better with it toned down. Finding a fine balance where the tracks look great and the cars is where I want to end up and because the cars outshine the tracks by quite some margin usually, ive ended up using a fair bit. Think i will bring it down a little for the next installment however...

While we're at this type of discussions... What are your thoughts on contrast? I sort of go back and forth about it, high contrast objectively makes things look closer to real life (also in screenshots), but then it often swallows the details in the cockpit and exaggerates the pixel crawl, shimmering and aliasing. Lower contrast on the other hand, often hides the graphics engine flaws really well and looks a bit more easy on the eyes in cockpit, but objectively further from real life (screenshots can look superb, but I can recognize instantly they're from a game).

Edit: The McLaren one without a doubt in my opinion.

While we're at this type of discussions... What are your thoughts on contrast? I sort of go back and forth about it, high contrast objectively makes things look closer to real life (also in screenshots), but then it often swallows the details in the cockpit and exaggerates the pixel crawl, shimmering and aliasing. Lower contrast on the other hand, often hides the graphics engine flaws really well and looks a bit more easy on the eyes in cockpit, but objectively further from real life (screenshots can look superb, but I can recognize instantly they're from a game).

Yep know what you mean and once again it was another reason why i use/used so much bloom. The bloom and fog settings tend to soften the darker areas so you can get away with having a slightly higher contrast image without it looking too harsh. I have swayed back and forth with the contrast over my time of adjusting my mod but where it is now I think im happy and on my TV and monitor at least I dont lose any detail in the dark areas while it also looks nicely contrasted.
An example of what the bloom can do is looking at that first image with the Mclaren I just sent you, it does look a little harsh on the contrast front but bumping the bloom back up a smidgen as I have with the Ferrari picture, not so much...

Here's the same car with the bloom back up a bit (about half way between original setting and setting from first image)
Screenshot_mclaren_mp412c_gt3_ks_brands_hatch_12-9-116-21-17-31.jpg

That looks seriously good. S as in Sharp?
Yeah exactly... Just finding a way to make the sun look good as without the bloom it looks a bit pants. Having to increase the godrays and a few other things to improve it but then the Night weather looks ridiculous with crazy god rays! Will keep trying to get it right. Will release before the weeks out.

WagnumPI updated Wagnum's Graphics Mod with a new update entry:

Now with a Sharp filter!

The main thing i've added this time round is a secondary filter named A-Wagnum S. It's a much sharper look so if the bloom is too much on the original filter this is for you. That's really the only main difference between the two but have had to decrease the contrast, increase the saturation and alter a few things with the sun and god rays to make it look right as without the bloom the blacks looked way too sharp and contrasting against everything and the sun looked a bit odd at low...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Thx will try sharp filter because I'm having an issue with dirty screen effect, like there is a mist or brightness turn up too much, I lower the in-game contrast or whatever it is to 60/40 but it's still evident.

Excellent work as usual mate! Based on a short test and first impressions i'm however leaning towards sticking with the old style, no matter how good the new S looks in your screenshots :) I will definitely put the "S-model" through some more testing though before i make up my mind ;) Thanks!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back