VSCC S2 | Round 2: Jacarepaqua | 8 December 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great race for me, good end result but could've been better!

Took a while to get to grips with this track, the long corners with unusual lines took a while to get used to but managed in the end. Qualified 11th, would've been higher but mistakes made on my last flying lap cost me time. Was determined to stay out of trouble after what happened in the last race, and did believe it or not! Gained a few places (including passing 2 people at once on the back straight!) but unfortunately made a mistake in the fast turn 4 and spun. Took it easy and managed to jump a few people at the pitstops which surprised me, ended up 8th, then 7th after someone made a mistake, and was fighting with Wojciech aka The Swirl for a few laps, managed to get past him only for me to go off underbraking into turn 8. Down to 8th, started catching Danny Asbury but unfortunately made a few mistakes and dropped back to finish 8th. Pleased with that. Congrats to the winner.

My laptimes were abysmal so I turned on the survival mode and was just cruising around, thanks to the people in front of me killing themselves or each other I made up 10+ positions doing practically nothing. Not having pitted, I had some emotions towards the very end, praying for the bloody chequered flag to come up, which it finally and mercifully did - and I crossed the line with 1 litre of petrol left :).

I also had a nice scrap two laps from the end, trying to protect my 13th place on the back straight, but as two other gentlemen battling for I believe 3rd and 4 happened to appear in the vicinity, I got utterly confused and gave up the place - but running almost 4 wide was somewhat exciting, thank you :)

Qualified 2nd, not entirely happy with my lap but I would not have come close to Adrian's pole time anyway, fantastic lap:notworthy:
I had a good start and got into 1st and had a scrap with Emanuel for 1st up until lap 14 when I pitted. I decided to change all tyres because they were already pretty much useless after just half the race. Emanuel clearly took a different approach because after his pitstop he was 14 seconds ahead of me, but I caught him at about 1.5 sec a lap on my fresh tyres and reached him with a few laps to go. Used push to pass to overtake him and stayed in front trying not to mess it all up on my now worn tyres. Had some little wobbles in those final few laps, I was very relieved once I finished :D :D

Well qualified P15 and finished P15. Not very proud of my outing.

I had been practicing with a setup that worked very well for me, a bit lose at the back, but it helped me point the nose in the right direction.

I go to practice this morning and the steering was all wrong. Where my steering last night in the server was at 18, this morning that turned into a wheel that was way too sensitive. I checked my Logitech and it was correct, but something happened. So I had to reconfigured the steering but what I got was a car that was very unstable at the exit and nothing I tried was working.

At the end, I was unable to reach my average of 1:52.2 and I was almost a full second slower than my practice and my test race last night.

In the race I gained a few positions after the start and In had some nice battles, but once my tires started going the car became even more unstable.

Apologies to whomever I bumped going into the second turn after the straight. I signaled for you to pass me, but by that point there were 3 cars behind me and I couldn't tell who it was that I scrapped with. I swear it wasn't intentional, I simply lost the car at the entrance.

I finally went into the pits for gas and new rubbers and that's where I blew it. I drove right past my pit stall. At the end of the pits I realized my mistake and I had to retrace my steps, since I had no gas for another go around.

In warm up my pit stall was more or less toward the middle of the pits, but I guess we cannot count on it remaining there?
The moral of the story is that I lost an eternity in the pits and when I came out I was back in P15 and my race was over. Those ahead were too far and fortunately I was way ahead of P16.

I sure hope next week I can do a race without a major mistake in it.

Jan Larsen

Premium
Qual: I was reasonably satisfied with my lap. When I saw the gap to 3rd (at the time), I decided to park it and head for the toilet instead. When I got back one guy had jumped me, but that was to be expected. Ended up 5th which was fine.

Race: Got a decent start and had good pace in the beginning, challenging the guys infront. Unfortunately I couldnt find a rythm and after a series of mini-mistakes and one bigger one, I dropped back to 4th after running 3rd for a while.
Pitted and found myself back in 3rd, running with Verver who was in 2nd at the time until I pedaled it too hard coming on to the straight and rookied myself straight into the inside wall, fortunately not removing any body panels and thankfully allowing me to carry on, but Guus was gone. Once his tires got up to temp he was really gone and from then on I concentrated on keeping McNaughton behind since he was catching me slowly. Lap by lap he gained on me and no matter what I did (P2P, concentrating harder, voodoo'ing him into a mistake), he was still catching me. We entered what we both, apparently, thought was the last lap, both with a P2P in hand and no more than a couple of carlengths between us. I felt his presence and made small mistakes trying to perfect my lines and braking, but on worn tires, thats not easy. We both applied P2P for the last time entering the straight, me to defend, him to attack, both cars being driven to the max, both drivers giving it the max and both drivers not giving a damn about car, engine, tires, anything, just hardcore battle right to the end! As we crossed the line I sighed in relief only to get the dreaded 'one lap to go'...Oh no!
Right, battle of the century - round 2 was about to commence. As both of us were out of P2P it'd be a straight battle to the line, no stradegy, just hardcore driving and fighting. As it should be.
After a scruffy first part of the lap not hitting a single line or apex correctly I had Adrian up my exaust yet again. I knew staying infront would be mighty difficult, especially down the straight. As we entered the straight I could tell by the distance between us that he would be in with a shot of slingshooting his way past near the end of the straight. About the same time we came across two backmarkers (Kris Migut I believe and another gentleman) and immidiately I knew they would be a deciding factor in how this battle would end. Them in a battle of their own probably didnt notice us, or got confused, but move they certainly didnt! :). I chanced it around the outside into the left hander on the outside, Adrian on the inside and the two lapped cars somewhere in the middle. Braked as late and hard as I could and to my luck Adrian got pinned behind one of the backmarkers which effectively gifted me 3rd.
I must apologies for the brute way of overtaking you guys in that moment, it may have seemed a bit forceful.

Thats was one of the most entertaining battles I've ever had. Cheers Adrian, one for the memories :)

Last edited:
I didn't want to race on server 2 with a bad brake pedal, but I thought I should at least try, especially since there were so few drivers. I entered right when the qualify session had just started and I pulled out of the pit and drove about 1 lap and then realized that I was using the wrong car setup, but it was too late, I was then stuck driving the worst car setup ever with a broken brake pedal lol. omg it was like trying to push a shopping kart backwards. Out of the 6 cars that raced, I managed to finish 4th, but I was also last since 2 cars had wrecked out. I remember seeing the checkered flag and the timer end, but after I pulled in the pit and chose "Exit to Monitor" the driver list showed me as "DNF", which didn't make any sense to me since I know I finished the race. Something bugged.

Anyway, I had fun. I will be buying a new wheel this week. This is a video of me right after the time expired, right before I pulled into the pit. I was just happy to complete the race after driving a "hell car".

As you can see above thats pretty hard to rely on when people can't report their absence in a normal timeframe :)

Just too many absence report at the last minute is never good for the progress of the league.
Please, may I make a suggestion as we have two servers running. Take server one and two, split it up, which would then give each server an attendance of +- 18 drivers. This then would be more exciting for all??? :unsure:

D

Darren Jason O'Brien

• Darren Jason O'Brien

Unfortunately the Time Zone Difference in Australia i believe makes it 6:30am In Australia at Quali.
7am Australian time for Race, so with the 50min Race, Im ok for time. I calculated the Time the wrong way.

I will Try and race where I can. :) But should be ok as long as the time don't move forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't happy with the car at all, no matter what adjustments I've made to the setup I couldn't drive with confidence, I was all the time on the edge. Qualified 3rd with a decent lap, but Adrian was amazing and did his PB with a stunning lap. I overtook him in the first lap with p2p, and from there on I had my own battle with Guus, but we were too close, and even when I got past him I couldn't open a gap, so lost the position 3 corners later. When I pitted, I decided to take a risk and leave the old tires on, and I did had quite a confortable gap after the pit stops, but when I saw how much time Guus was gaining over me I knew I made a mistake. But I drove the wheels off the car in the final 10 laps, but I had no chance to keep Guus behind, so I just pulled left and let him pass rather risking to outbrake myself and loose more positions. But we had a good battle, enjoyed it a lot and I'm looking forward to more quality racing! The championship is becoming interesting now, and I can't wait for Londrina!

Well done to everyone who managed to bring it home!

Apologies for me dispersing from server 2 & not returning. With the last minute sign up and not reading the rules properly my game crashed and wouldn't re-launch with minutes to go till Qualifying.

After throwing a few F's at it I have realised that my Game Stock Car 2012 & 2013 have some how merged.

Fresh installs I guess and ill see you all at the next round.

Jan Larsen

Premium
Please, may I make a suggestion as we have two servers running. Take server one and two, split it up, which would then give each server an attendance of +- 18 drivers. This then would be more exciting for all??? :unsure:

I have to disagree on this one, sorry. Server 2 was only set up because of the overwhelming signups. It was never planned in the first place. Splitting the servers in two equal parts would just diminish server 1 and that wont work. Its the broadcasting server and thus should be a full server, showing the outside world what kinda racing they can expect from RD :)

D

Darren Jason O'Brien

• Darren Jason O'Brien

My apologies if my non attendance has caused issues with low numbers. I am a little confused as I am on the reserve list for S2 and I see allot of Absent reports for Reserve Drivers. So I am not sure of the Procedure if I still turn up and wait for a free spot ?

Still getting used to the RD way of things.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 84 19.4%
  • €151-500

Votes: 119 27.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 71 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 38 8.8%