PC2 VR Guide - Setup, Settings and general tips

Sorry for the long post, I wanted it to be as detailed as possible (within reason) so you get all the information I can share, hopefully this will help you get the best experience.

This guide will first cover some basic tips and general points, please ask for more details if needed.

Following the below section is the PCars 2 specific settings I use currently, after ~7 hours of testing.

Please note that the following settings are based on my HW specs, and as such, are probably NOT suitable for all PC configurations out there. No set of settings will ever be, as there are a lot of variables and HW variations. I will however point out the more demanding settings which will require lowering as needed.

My specs are : i7 7700K, 16gb RAM @2400, 1080 gtx, 500gb SSD, Oculus Rift CV1

Let’s go on with the first section:

1) Try to keep your Sim PC clean of any unnecessary apps/games/Anti-Virus as their running services could potentially use much needed system memory, CPU, HD/SSD and that should be avoided when possible to free-up as much system resources as you can.

If you identify services running that you do not need, kill them before running the game.

2) Turn off HDR under Display options (if you have it on for your main monitor)

3) Make sure you use High performance as the default Windows Power option. Disable HD power off, Disable USB Sleep, set CPU to 100% always.

4) If you have the ability to over-clock your CPU and GPU, please make sure you do so to the extreme, however, safest point you can. (I am not responsible for any damage that may occur to your system as a result of OC).

5) Make sure your PC cooling system is running at Max speed, both CPU and GPU.

6) Disconnect any USB device that is not needed. Even modern motherboards fail to smartly handle the power distribution to multiple USB devices, which in turn could deliver less power to the VR headset port.

A few helpful tips:

1) To launch the game directly to VR mode, create a desktop shortcut and point it to steam://launch/378860/othervr (for the Rift) or steam://launch/378860/vr (for the Vive)

2) Locate your Oculus debug tool or install the Oculus Tray Tool, you will need it to keep track of your FPS. Just make sure you select Visual HUD-->Performance before launching the game.

3) You should prevent Oculus Home from running in the background as it will consume valuable resources. You might need to start Oculus Home manually one time and dismiss the Health & Safety warning so you get into the lobby. This will also prevent Home from launching automatically when you put the HMD on…
Right-click the Oculus shortcut -> Properties -> Compatibility and down at the bottom check the box "Run this program as an administrator"

Section 2 – VR setup (Windows)

1) Make sure you download and install the latest nVidia display drivers

2) Don’t optimize the game using Geforce Experience

3) Make sure you have the latest Oculus drivers

4) In the nVidia control panel make sure you set the options as in the attached screenshot

5) Make sure you set SS (Super Sampling) in either the Tray tool or Debug tool to 1.0.
We will control SS from within the game.

6) Launch the game!

Section 3 – VR settings in game

1) Follow the screenshots attached to setup Performance, Visual FX and Camera

2) Camera FOV in important to prevent most of the object pop-ins and flickering. I set both Cockpit and Helmet to 82.

3) When using the Helmet view, it is advisable to disable the Helmet from rendering as it will use valuable FPS

4) Settings with most performance impact are (in order of severity):
Super Sampling, MSAA, Render Frames Ahead, Enviro Map, Detailed Grass, Shadows/Reflections/Texture Res/Texture filtering

5) Tradeoffs you want to be aware of:
- Prefer Texture Resolution to Shadow Detail
- Keep Detailed Grass to low if you have anything other than 1080ti.
- Texture Res will be best at Medium to gain a few FPS, go higher if you can.
- Keep V-Sync OFF
- If you have a 1080ti go with 1.3 SS, others – keep this at 1.0-1.2
- Reflections is important, try to go up to High if possible

6) Using the Performance HUD, watch your FPS and Performance Head Room. You want a steady (as possible) 90 FPS, and a Performance HR of (-5%) to (15%).
Test at a few tracks, and with ~10 cars grid.

7) With weather set to other than Clear, do a few tests as well. Lower the Particle Level and Particle Density to gain extra FPS if needed.

8) You should only drop down to ASW (45fps) for very short periods of time, if at all... Again, HW specs related of course.

9) Lower the settings of greater impact first, if needed

10) Don’t set your screen resolution to anything more than 1080p. This has impact on performance. You only want to be able to clearly read the menus.

That’s it guys, hope you enjoy this.

Feel free to ask anything.

D.
IMG_0048.jpg
Performance 1.jpg
Performance 2.jpg
Camera Movement.jpg
Visual FX.jpg
Camera FOV.jpg

IMG_0048.jpgPerformance 1.jpgPerformance 2.jpgCamera Movement.jpgVisual FX.jpgCamera FOV.jpg

Last edited:
Just figured out that pC2 can pretty much run all high settings with a 1080, if you use SMAA Ultra instead of supersampling/MSAA. I'm way more satisfied with the consistent 90fps than some extra sharpness! :)

Oh, and keeps the 90 even at sunrise, with headlights on, in a thunderstorm at Azure Coast. :rolleyes:

My experience with VR in PC2 as opposed to other SIM in VR is that it is always more blurry.
What would be a setting that would favor sharpness over anything else.
In other SIM I have found that putting mip map lod bias to minus one helps with sharpness.
How can I adjust lod bias in PC2?

Hello friends. Good thread.

About this:

"1) To launch the game directly to VR mode, create a desktop shortcut and point it to steam://launch/378860/othervr (for the Rift) or steam://launch/378860/vr (for the Vive)"

Is useful with Assetto - OpenVR?

Thanks in advice.

Don't think it would really apply to AC because you navigate the menus and such on your monitor and it only launches VR when you click the button to go to track. You have to use something like Virtual Desktop in order to use the menus in VR and that would bypass the desktop shortcut method.

3) You should prevent Oculus Home from running in the background as it will consume valuable resources. You might need to start Oculus Home manually one time and dismiss the Health & Safety warning so you get into the lobby. This will also prevent Home from launching automatically when you put the HMD on…
Right-click the Oculus shortcut -> Properties -> Compatibility and down at the bottom check the box "Run this program as an administrator"
Has anyone started having issues with this working? This just randomly stopped working for me today--I can't run any VR games/apps without Oculus Home actively running in the background now. I made a post about it over on the Oculus subreddit, but the few who replied were insistent that Oculus Home has always had to be running in the background.

I am technically on the Rift Core 2.0 Beta, but it's never been an issue up until now. Before I go trying to reinstall my whole Oculus setup, just curious if anyone else has seen this behavior recently.

Has anyone started having issues with this working? This just randomly stopped working for me today--I can't run any VR games/apps without Oculus Home actively running in the background now. I made a post about it over on the Oculus subreddit, but the few who replied were insistent that Oculus Home has always had to be running in the background.

I am technically on the Rift Core 2.0 Beta, but it's never been an issue up until now. Before I go trying to reinstall my whole Oculus setup, just curious if anyone else has seen this behavior recently.

Unfortunately this has stopped working after the recent update.

Hi friends. I did a clean install with Win 10 1803 and I'm still playing Assetto Corsa without home, and what is better: now game mode works (with 1703 I was getting a lot of stuttering, not playable).

One more thing: after months trying different settings for ASW, I get to the conclussion that the best way to use it is by default (non 45 fixed fps pussing ctrl+3 or forced with oculustraytool).

Sorry for VR beginner question. I see there is options for Vive and Oculus. What if I have Pimax headset? Is there any change to run this game on Pimax? I'm really beginning VR adventury and my first headset is Pimax 5K+. Should I put some apps parameters in command line to run it in VR mode for Pimax?

Hi all, I really enjoying PC 2 and just got a Valve Index. I can get VR going fine with Dirt Rally 2 and my flight sims but with PC 2 is hangs on loading an actual race, at the point after I select the vehicle, track etc. It stalls where it usually shows a progress bar while loading the session. I initially load PC 2 via Steam VR. I’m hoping someone can help me.
Thanks

Hi guys, hope some one can help with this, I have a rift s and I'm using Oculus tray tool to gage the fps and the headroom, I'm getting a steady fps of 40 but the headroom is running at around -90 to -100 I start the game from the Oculus app,
the game looks ok but should I not be getting around 90 fps?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back