PC2 VR Guide - Setup, Settings and general tips

Sorry for the long post, I wanted it to be as detailed as possible (within reason) so you get all the information I can share, hopefully this will help you get the best experience.

This guide will first cover some basic tips and general points, please ask for more details if needed.

Following the below section is the PCars 2 specific settings I use currently, after ~7 hours of testing.

Please note that the following settings are based on my HW specs, and as such, are probably NOT suitable for all PC configurations out there. No set of settings will ever be, as there are a lot of variables and HW variations. I will however point out the more demanding settings which will require lowering as needed.

My specs are : i7 7700K, 16gb RAM @2400, 1080 gtx, 500gb SSD, Oculus Rift CV1

Let’s go on with the first section:

1) Try to keep your Sim PC clean of any unnecessary apps/games/Anti-Virus as their running services could potentially use much needed system memory, CPU, HD/SSD and that should be avoided when possible to free-up as much system resources as you can.

If you identify services running that you do not need, kill them before running the game.

2) Turn off HDR under Display options (if you have it on for your main monitor)

3) Make sure you use High performance as the default Windows Power option. Disable HD power off, Disable USB Sleep, set CPU to 100% always.

4) If you have the ability to over-clock your CPU and GPU, please make sure you do so to the extreme, however, safest point you can. (I am not responsible for any damage that may occur to your system as a result of OC).

5) Make sure your PC cooling system is running at Max speed, both CPU and GPU.

6) Disconnect any USB device that is not needed. Even modern motherboards fail to smartly handle the power distribution to multiple USB devices, which in turn could deliver less power to the VR headset port.

A few helpful tips:

1) To launch the game directly to VR mode, create a desktop shortcut and point it to steam://launch/378860/othervr (for the Rift) or steam://launch/378860/vr (for the Vive)

2) Locate your Oculus debug tool or install the Oculus Tray Tool, you will need it to keep track of your FPS. Just make sure you select Visual HUD-->Performance before launching the game.

3) You should prevent Oculus Home from running in the background as it will consume valuable resources. You might need to start Oculus Home manually one time and dismiss the Health & Safety warning so you get into the lobby. This will also prevent Home from launching automatically when you put the HMD on…
Right-click the Oculus shortcut -> Properties -> Compatibility and down at the bottom check the box "Run this program as an administrator"

Section 2 – VR setup (Windows)

1) Make sure you download and install the latest nVidia display drivers

2) Don’t optimize the game using Geforce Experience

3) Make sure you have the latest Oculus drivers

4) In the nVidia control panel make sure you set the options as in the attached screenshot

5) Make sure you set SS (Super Sampling) in either the Tray tool or Debug tool to 1.0.
We will control SS from within the game.

6) Launch the game!

Section 3 – VR settings in game

1) Follow the screenshots attached to setup Performance, Visual FX and Camera

2) Camera FOV in important to prevent most of the object pop-ins and flickering. I set both Cockpit and Helmet to 82.

3) When using the Helmet view, it is advisable to disable the Helmet from rendering as it will use valuable FPS

4) Settings with most performance impact are (in order of severity):
Super Sampling, MSAA, Render Frames Ahead, Enviro Map, Detailed Grass, Shadows/Reflections/Texture Res/Texture filtering

5) Tradeoffs you want to be aware of:
- Prefer Texture Resolution to Shadow Detail
- Keep Detailed Grass to low if you have anything other than 1080ti.
- Texture Res will be best at Medium to gain a few FPS, go higher if you can.
- Keep V-Sync OFF
- If you have a 1080ti go with 1.3 SS, others – keep this at 1.0-1.2
- Reflections is important, try to go up to High if possible

6) Using the Performance HUD, watch your FPS and Performance Head Room. You want a steady (as possible) 90 FPS, and a Performance HR of (-5%) to (15%).
Test at a few tracks, and with ~10 cars grid.

7) With weather set to other than Clear, do a few tests as well. Lower the Particle Level and Particle Density to gain extra FPS if needed.

8) You should only drop down to ASW (45fps) for very short periods of time, if at all... Again, HW specs related of course.

9) Lower the settings of greater impact first, if needed

10) Don’t set your screen resolution to anything more than 1080p. This has impact on performance. You only want to be able to clearly read the menus.

That’s it guys, hope you enjoy this.

Feel free to ask anything.

D.
IMG_0048.jpg
Performance 1.jpg
Performance 2.jpg
Camera Movement.jpg
Visual FX.jpg
Camera FOV.jpg

IMG_0048.jpgPerformance 1.jpgPerformance 2.jpgCamera Movement.jpgVisual FX.jpgCamera FOV.jpg

Last edited:
Have not been able to do this, the window that shows Oculus 'Store' and 'Library' at the top of its window when closed closes down my Rift with a warning that I won't be able to use my HMD. Can you please be totally explicit in your description of these options so I can find them.

the same problem with

"Make sure the Oculus service starts up with Windows, easy and fast way to do this is to download the Tray tool and select Run at start up+start Oculus service on boot."

I have the Oculus Tray Tool app, ver 0.81.1 and there is no option "start Oculus service on boot." sorry if I'm being dense but these suggestions need to be precise.
It is simple enough, if you have 0.81.1 and look briefly at the options (ie. Tray Tool and Service & Startup). There ARE options for 'start with Windows' and 'Start Oculus service when tool starts'.

Last edited:
Have not been able to do this, the window that shows Oculus 'Store' and 'Library' at the top of its window when closed closes down my Rift with a warning that I won't be able to use my HMD. Can you please be totally explicit in your description of these options so I can find them.
The easiest way is to make an Oculus app icon link on your desktop (C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-client), then / right click on the link / properties / compatability / modify parameters for all users / execute as administrator.

Now when you open Oculus using the link on your desktop you will be asked to allow the program (whatever the message is...) hit yes.
You can then close Oculus.

Now go to your Steam folder and make a desktop link for the Steam app exe.
Right click and open properties, In the link tab copy this...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" steam://launch/378860/othervr -silent

There are other ways of doing the same but that is how I do it.
You can then rename the above link as you like, I have renamed mine to PC2VR.

Now when you open the Steam (PC2VR) link on your desktop PC2 will open without calling the Oculus app to open.

I hope that is clear enough for you.

You can also allow Steam to show the FPS counter to check your fps without the need to run the Oculus tray tool.
It will not show through the Rift headset but you can peek on screen.
I get some stutter when running the tray tool (as do others) so I do not recommend using it (OTT).

I believe I have found a trick to check what default Performance settings are for your system.
Just open the game in flat screen mode, this will show Performance settings differently from starting in VR mode.
My system was pumping out + or - 150 fps (clear weather, Imola 16 bots/AI.
Give it a try and see if it works for you.

Good luck.

The easiest way is to make an Oculus app icon link on your desktop (C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-client), then / right click on the link / properties / compatability / modify parameters for all users / execute as administrator.

Now when you open Oculus using the link on your desktop you will be asked to allow the program (whatever the message is...) hit yes.
You can then close Oculus.

Now go to your Steam folder and make a desktop link for the Steam app exe.
Right click and open properties, In the link tab copy this...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" steam://launch/378860/othervr -silent

There are other ways of doing the same but that is how I do it.
You can then rename the above link as you like, I have renamed mine to PC2VR.

Now when you open the Steam (PC2VR) link on your desktop PC2 will open without calling the Oculus app to open.

You can also allow Steam to show the FPS counter to check your fps without the need to run the Oculus tray tool.
It will not show through the Rift headset but you can peek on screen.
I get some stutter when running the tray tool (as do others) so I do not recommend using it (OTT).

I believe I have found a trick to check what default Performance settings are for your system.
Just open the game in flat screen mode, this will show Performance settings differently from starting in VR mode.
My system was pumping out + or - 150 fps (clear weather, Imola 16 bots/AI.
Give it a try and see if it works for you.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info. I've been having issues with OTT too (Profile or Global), settings don't seem to apply to PC2. Even if I lock to 45ASW, always stays at state as if it's on Auto (ie. fps keeps changing). Problem is ApollyonVR doesn't have PC2 to test it. Even Ctrl-3 to activate manually doesn't seem to work on the game.

Likewise, even if FPS counter is enabled in Steam (tried both ticking/unticking High Contrast), it doesn't show up in my window (1280x720 only, on my 1920x1080 screen). Any idea why?

Thankyou, that was perfectly clear. :)
I still have a problem tho.
1. Steam will still not show FPS
2. I have triple screens and before trying these changes had to run a launch parameter of -notriplescreens in order for the Rift to show car and track ready for racing. It does show menus but they are squashed as if rendered for triples but displayed on a single monitor. Going to track gives me a black background with some of the HUD showing. I tried adding that extra parameter behind -silent as per your advice above but it doesn't make a difference.
tbh I don't want to waste another day of my life tearing my hair out trying to make something work that obviously does not want to and thank you for the help you offered.
The Rift is a major disappointment to me and time to get rid of it. I love how the game looks on my triples and can live with that.

It is simple enough, if you have 0.81.1 and look briefly at the options (ie. Tray Tool and Service & Startup). There ARE options for 'start with Windows' and 'Start Oculus service when tool starts'.

There may well be but that is not what was written that I posted as a quote of the OP, and it was not to one of your posts that my question was directed.
What was written was "Tray tool and select Run at start up+start Oculus service on boot." I was asking for the options to be described exactly as they are in the app. That way eliminates any possiblility of misinterpretation. What is simple enough is to describe word for word exactly.

I was able to create the steam shortcut, thanks. Now I am confused about the Tray Tool. In Services and Startup I checked the options: Start Oculus service when tool starts, Stop Oculus service when tool exits and Launch Oculus Home on service start. The silly question is, Oculus Home will be up and running anyway or can I run VR games with Oculus Home turned off? If I did not allow Home to start, VR device don't start :(.

What "-silent" actually does? ("steam://launch/378860/othervr -silent")

I have noticed an improvement of image quality and performance using Tray Tool. I appreciate the help.

Last edited:
I was able to create the steam shortcut, thanks. Now I am confused about the Tray Tool. In Services and Startup I checked the options: Start Oculus service when tool starts, Stop Oculus service when tool exits and Launch Oculus Home on service start. The silly question is, Oculus Home will be up and running anyway or can I run VR games with Oculus Home turned off? If I did not allow Home to start, VR device don't start :(.

What "-silent" actually does? ("steam://launch/378860/othervr -silent")

I have noticed an improvement of image quality and performance using Tray Tool. I appreciate the help.
In my experience, you can turn off OHome after it has started once (after starting Win10), and then play the game with it closed. I'm not sure why it works this way, since I'm thinking the Oculus Service has already started. So yes, you can close it after starting it once, then play the game w/o OHome running.

I understand the '-silent' parameter is to disable mirroring to the monitor, but I think I tried it once but still had it showing in my monitor.

Is anyone using gtx 1060 with the rift? Im looking to buy a vr headset but is it only low settings with 1060 (6gb)?
With PC2, in current builds, you will only be able to run SS at 1.0 with low MSAA.
This will result in some rough edges and some flickering, with a so-so image quality.

The immersion will be great! So it is worth it only for that.
I would advise, for this game’s sake and future ones, to save up and go for a 1070 at least... if you can.
If not, don’t think twice, VR and racing sims were born for each other imo.

Last edited:
I understand the '-silent' parameter is to disable mirroring to the monitor, but I think I tried it once but still had it showing in my monitor.

There was / is a method to launch PC1 in VR from OH, the "-silent" stops Steam command line interrogation.
Probably not relevant to this guide (or game), I have just posted what works for me from a desktop link.

If you are interested here is an old link that explains how to do a PC1 startup from Oculus Home Apps Library.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/721nf7/psaproject_cars_2_launching_from_oculus_home_in_vr/

Might help, might not !

In my experience, you can turn off OHome after it has started once (after starting Win10), and then play the game with it closed. I'm not sure why it works this way, since I'm thinking the Oculus Service has already started. So yes, you can close it after starting it once, then play the game w/o OHome running.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Well, I can state now that the game is running much, much better using this Steam shortcut and specially the Tray Tool. I am now able to run the game with 1920x1080 hud res, Fullscreen On,Texture Res to High, Anisotropic 16x, MSAA to medium, Reflection High, Environment Map Low, Car detail medium, Track detail High, Pit Crew player only, Shadow detail Low, Enhanced Mirror No, Motion Blur off, Render Frames Ahead 1, Detailed Grass, Particle level and density to low. All Visual FX On, Exposure to 0.7 (a darker image in VR looks better than a brighter one) and still 95% of the time locked to 90fps with my GTX 1070. I would say drive in VR with those settings in Thunderstorm is absolutely mind blowing.
In other weather conditions I have 90fps too!!!!
I don't know why I was having such bad performance before and I could not run the game like that at all before these tips, but running the game as you guys told is a life changer.
If I could raise SS to 1.3 would be even better but I think will be only possible with a 1080Ti.
I will try to tweak further, but now the game is running very smooth.

What is that Camera Near Plane is about? I understand it renders further or not but which parameter does one thing or another?

Once again, thanks a lot for all tips!

Well, I can state now that the game is running much, much better using this Steam shortcut and specially the Tray Tool. I am now able to run the game with 1920x1080 hud res, Fullscreen On,Texture Res to High, Anisotropic 16x, MSAA to medium, Reflection High, Environment Map Low, Car detail medium, Track detail High, Pit Crew player only, Shadow detail Low, Enhanced Mirror No, Motion Blur off, Render Frames Ahead 1, Detailed Grass, Particle level and density to low. All Visual FX On, Exposure to 0.7 (a darker image in VR looks better than a brighter one) and still 95% of the time locked to 90fps with my GTX 1070. I would say drive in VR with those settings in Thunderstorm is absolutely mind blowing.
I don't know why I was having such bad performance before and I could not run the game like that at all before these tips, but running the game as you guys told is a life changer.
If I could raise SS to 1.3 would be even better but I think will be only possible with a 1080Ti.

What is that Camera Near Plane is about? I understand it renders further or not but which parameter does one thing or another?

I found on my gtx1070 1.5 then drop shadows/ reflections, better gain for return, aslong as don't drop below 45 asw on , much better.

Glad you enjoy it.

I found on my gtx1070 1.5 then drop shadows/ reflections, better gain for return, aslong as don't drop below 45 asw on , much better.
VR image really needs shadows and reflections, it is almost a must in order to get a flicker free image.
Also, shadows are important for the 3D effects in VR to add DOF.
I really recommend having these on.
No real gain between 1.3-1.5 SS anyways...

Whats your cpu? - posted same time. I really think now my cpu is crawling. I cant get 90 fps no matter what settings. Something might be spooky too with my setup, I cant get OTT to work with PC2 (stays at Auto, cant lock ASW). Cant figure it out. OTOH, AC runs really well.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back