PC2 VR Guide - Setup, Settings and general tips

Sorry for the long post, I wanted it to be as detailed as possible (within reason) so you get all the information I can share, hopefully this will help you get the best experience.

This guide will first cover some basic tips and general points, please ask for more details if needed.

Following the below section is the PCars 2 specific settings I use currently, after ~7 hours of testing.

Please note that the following settings are based on my HW specs, and as such, are probably NOT suitable for all PC configurations out there. No set of settings will ever be, as there are a lot of variables and HW variations. I will however point out the more demanding settings which will require lowering as needed.

My specs are : i7 7700K, 16gb RAM @2400, 1080 gtx, 500gb SSD, Oculus Rift CV1

Let’s go on with the first section:

1) Try to keep your Sim PC clean of any unnecessary apps/games/Anti-Virus as their running services could potentially use much needed system memory, CPU, HD/SSD and that should be avoided when possible to free-up as much system resources as you can.

If you identify services running that you do not need, kill them before running the game.

2) Turn off HDR under Display options (if you have it on for your main monitor)

3) Make sure you use High performance as the default Windows Power option. Disable HD power off, Disable USB Sleep, set CPU to 100% always.

4) If you have the ability to over-clock your CPU and GPU, please make sure you do so to the extreme, however, safest point you can. (I am not responsible for any damage that may occur to your system as a result of OC).

5) Make sure your PC cooling system is running at Max speed, both CPU and GPU.

6) Disconnect any USB device that is not needed. Even modern motherboards fail to smartly handle the power distribution to multiple USB devices, which in turn could deliver less power to the VR headset port.

A few helpful tips:

1) To launch the game directly to VR mode, create a desktop shortcut and point it to steam://launch/378860/othervr (for the Rift) or steam://launch/378860/vr (for the Vive)

2) Locate your Oculus debug tool or install the Oculus Tray Tool, you will need it to keep track of your FPS. Just make sure you select Visual HUD-->Performance before launching the game.

3) You should prevent Oculus Home from running in the background as it will consume valuable resources. You might need to start Oculus Home manually one time and dismiss the Health & Safety warning so you get into the lobby. This will also prevent Home from launching automatically when you put the HMD on…
Right-click the Oculus shortcut -> Properties -> Compatibility and down at the bottom check the box "Run this program as an administrator"

Section 2 – VR setup (Windows)

1) Make sure you download and install the latest nVidia display drivers

2) Don’t optimize the game using Geforce Experience

3) Make sure you have the latest Oculus drivers

4) In the nVidia control panel make sure you set the options as in the attached screenshot

5) Make sure you set SS (Super Sampling) in either the Tray tool or Debug tool to 1.0.
We will control SS from within the game.

6) Launch the game!

Section 3 – VR settings in game

1) Follow the screenshots attached to setup Performance, Visual FX and Camera

2) Camera FOV in important to prevent most of the object pop-ins and flickering. I set both Cockpit and Helmet to 82.

3) When using the Helmet view, it is advisable to disable the Helmet from rendering as it will use valuable FPS

4) Settings with most performance impact are (in order of severity):
Super Sampling, MSAA, Render Frames Ahead, Enviro Map, Detailed Grass, Shadows/Reflections/Texture Res/Texture filtering

5) Tradeoffs you want to be aware of:
- Prefer Texture Resolution to Shadow Detail
- Keep Detailed Grass to low if you have anything other than 1080ti.
- Texture Res will be best at Medium to gain a few FPS, go higher if you can.
- Keep V-Sync OFF
- If you have a 1080ti go with 1.3 SS, others – keep this at 1.0-1.2
- Reflections is important, try to go up to High if possible

6) Using the Performance HUD, watch your FPS and Performance Head Room. You want a steady (as possible) 90 FPS, and a Performance HR of (-5%) to (15%).
Test at a few tracks, and with ~10 cars grid.

7) With weather set to other than Clear, do a few tests as well. Lower the Particle Level and Particle Density to gain extra FPS if needed.

8) You should only drop down to ASW (45fps) for very short periods of time, if at all... Again, HW specs related of course.

9) Lower the settings of greater impact first, if needed

10) Don’t set your screen resolution to anything more than 1080p. This has impact on performance. You only want to be able to clearly read the menus.

That’s it guys, hope you enjoy this.

Feel free to ask anything.

D.
IMG_0048.jpg
Performance 1.jpg
Performance 2.jpg
Camera Movement.jpg
Visual FX.jpg
Camera FOV.jpg

IMG_0048.jpgPerformance 1.jpgPerformance 2.jpgCamera Movement.jpgVisual FX.jpgCamera FOV.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought PCars2 last night but only messed around with it on my 1440p monitor. I'll have to try some of those settings with my Rift tonight. My rig is a 7700K+16GB Ram+1080ti but nothing is overclocked (CPU is at the default 4.2). I can max out any of the sims if I use the monitor but I have to turn most settings way down in AC and iRacing to keep 90 fps in the Rift.

Just a note.

In my case, performance is slightly better when PPD in Oculus Debug Tool is increased from 1.0 to 1.3 and SS in-game at 1.0 (instead of 1.0 PPD and 1.3 in-game).

Worth a shot if your ASW kicks in quite often.
Otherwise, those settings listed by Mr Q here are THE BEST I could find (and believe me, I've tried loads and loads of other tips and tricks).

Again, outstanding work Mr Q

Hi, I'm new to the VR world.

3) You should prevent Oculus Home from running in the background as it will consume valuable resources. You might need to start Oculus Home manually one time and dismiss the Health & Safety warning so you get into the lobby. This will also prevent Home from launching automatically when you put the HMD on…
Right-click the Oculus shortcut -> Properties -> Compatibility and down at the bottom check the box "Run this program as an administrator"

Maybe it will make more sense when I'm on my gaming PC, but I'm a bit lost on this topic. How exactly do I make it so Oculus Home doesn't automatically start when I put the HMD on and how do I prevent Oculus Home from running in the background? Just got VR yesterday and in my time with it yesterday it seemed to be running ok but according to the debug tool I don't have enough overhead available to I'd like to use these helpful tips you've provided to get things running a bit better if possible.

As far as I know, you use the Tray Tool and allow it to start Oculus Home automatically with it. I notice in my case, I need to put my headset on after the tray tool starts and accept the terms (the white screen with text). Once that is done, you can close the Oculus Home and the headset will only show image when you launch a game.

I kinda gave up to use my Rift with this game for the time being. I can never get a crisp enough image and that disturbs me a lot. Specially in weather conditions that the sun cast long shadows, the flickering is very bad. AA in this game is not good enough even in the monitor if you pay attention to it.
All other VR racing games are clear enough, but Pcars 2. At least so far, I will keep playing it in the monitor. If I set AA to low, a flicker in the distance is quite disturbing. If I set AA to medium, I feel like a blur is generated while AA tries to smooth out the image and feels like its underwater. Also, I cannot raise ppd in my current rig (i7 7700K, 32gb Ram 3000Mhz Corsair Vengeance, GTX 1070, Asus Maximus Hero IX Mobo), if I set it to 1.1 it can't keep 90 fps and when ASW kicks in the game feels choppy to me.
I tried many combinations of settings and none feels good enough to me compared to other games.
I was currently running it at lowest settings. In some tracks it keeps 90fps but not in the most.
I said in my previous posts your tips helped a lot and really did but in some situations this issue is happening.
My current rig can keep up a good performance in all other racing games, so I will wait until a patch or until I can afford a better vga card. I'll keep enjoying the game in monitor for the meantime.

Hi, I'm new to the VR world.

Maybe it will make more sense when I'm on my gaming PC, but I'm a bit lost on this topic. How exactly do I make it so Oculus Home doesn't automatically start when I put the HMD on and how do I prevent Oculus Home from running in the background? Just got VR yesterday and in my time with it yesterday it seemed to be running ok but according to the debug tool I don't have enough overhead available to I'd like to use these helpful tips you've provided to get things running a bit better if possible.

Hi :)

Do what is says in the original post.

Right click on Oculus Home -> Properties -> Compatibility -> (very bottom) Change settings for all users -> (new window will pop up) Tick the 'Run As Administrator' thing. That's it. Apply and you are done.

Start the Oculus Home manually. It will ask you 'Do you want to allow this app blah blah blah', click 'Yes'. Close Oculus Home at this point and it will never automatically start again. It saves loads of memory and helped a lot in my case.

Last edited:
I tried the game settings but since I'm only on a 1070 they weren't ideal Ended up trying Gamer Muscle's PCars2 settings and they worked great on my system, though I find I can't really go above 1.1 SS without occasionally dropping FPS, but I didn't notice any major difference between 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3 so I'm fine with that. I tried with a grid of 20 and 25 cars, both of them brought back pretty much the same performance numbers and my performance overhead ranged from -10% to 10% most of the time, so slightly off the target but visually it was all totally smooth. Turning down settings didn't seem to gain me any appreciable overhead so I think I've found a pretty happy place for my system and I noticed my pop-ins are pretty much gone too. Runs smooth, stays at 90 FPS, and looks pretty decent.

Hi :)

Do what is says in the original post.

Right click on Oculus Home -> Properties -> Compatibility -> (very bottom) Change settings for all users -> (new window will pop up) Tick the 'Run As Administrator' thing. That's it. Apply and you are done.

Start the Oculus Home manually. It will ask you 'Do you want to allow this app blah blah blah', click 'Yes'. Close Oculus Home at this point and it will never automatically start again. It saves loads of memory and helped a lot in my case.
I don't get any prompt when I open Oculus Home after following your instructions. If I close home, the oculus service closes. Not sure why it's behaving differently for me...

Set Oculus Home to start as admin for all users (option at bottom of Oculus properties page) you must start Oculus once, then close.
The game will then load in VR without having to open Oculus
Hello friend.

Do this work with Assetto Corsa anyway? I don't get it...

EDIT: it works!

Say that the apps you must run as administrator for all users are oculusclient.exe and OculusVR.exe.

Many thanks...

Last edited:
I'm going to ask this here as it seems the best place. I had a 980 and just traded up to a 1080 because of an issue I was having and thought it might be the push on graphics card. However, the problem still persists.

Those with a Vive will have experienced that white screen while a game is loading. Where you have a flash of the 'open space' grid. Seems to be common with a few games. Well, I get this in pCars 2 but while driving on track.
Now to clarify. I have all the settings on medium/low/off as per gaining 70-90fps depending on the circumstances. The issue doesn't even occur when the framerate is lower, it happens when I'm on an empty part of the circuit too.
Sometimes it's a flicker and nothing is lost as my last known position hasn't really changed, but on the last race with this site, it went for like 2 seconds and next thing I'm eating a wall. Granted this was with the 980, hence the upgrade. But the 1080 is still exhibiting the same issues.
So, has anyone had similar issues and resolved them?
My spec is in my signature but as I say no issues with fps. And offline doesn't seem to have the same drama.
I'm running with 70Meg BT broadband.
Thanks.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 79 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 58 9.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 65 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 38 6.0%