Track Conversions

Hey! Just wondering.... I've seen plenty of tracks which have been converted from Rfactor 1 or GTR2 to Assetto Corsa and the tracks have had some visual upgrades yet aren't huge files. Thinking about porting back these tracks which have had visual upgrades back to AMS1 and GTR2. Is it just simply reversing the procedure of the original Rfactor to AC conversion. This would be for personal use unless I am allowed to upload them here on RD. I'm guessing if the original tracks created for Rfactor1 and GTR2 and are in the public domain then 'm guessing there shouldn't be a problem when asking for permission. Is there a guide anywhere on how to do this as I would like to use them on AMS1 and GTR2.

Is there a guide anywhere on how to do this as I would like to use them on AMS1 and GTR2.

@dwightyone I've often dreamt of the same thing as you! So I have done a bunch of research about it. What's below is based on notes I stored in a text file a while ago ;)

What's nice about Assetto Corsa tracks: it's pretty straightforward to get them into Blender. Then you can do most of the work you need to do there. Although, especially for Automobilista, you may need to do some final finishing touches (on shaders and the like) in 3DSimEd.

How to get Assetto Corsa tracks into Blender:
  • Open Content Manager
  • Go to "CM Settings" > GENERAL
  • Click repeatedly on the "App Version" until you get a prompt asking to enable "Developer Mode" - say yes
  • Now go to "CM Settings" > PLUGINS and install "FBX Converter"
  • Go to the track folder under `content`
  • For each KN5 file you want to import into Blender: click once to select, press and hold Shift, double click on the KN5, then release Shift
  • (A bit of time will pass, then a window will appear showing the folder containing the converted FBX in Windows Explorer)
Once you have the track in Blender... how to modify it to suit older titles?

You can probably keep most textures, but you will need to reduce polygon count on non-essential assets (bulidings, grandstands, barriers) to improve performance in an older game. Watch out for needing to change things around specularity or reflections (these often get weird when converting between games). You'll also need to replace "standard" game-specific assets for GTR 2 and AMS: for example, billboard trees, crowds, grass textures, armco... This will make the conversion feel more "at home" in the older sim.

One especially important thing to be mindful of: good AC track mods will use a simple visual-only 3D mesh for the visual track surface, and also have an invisible suuuuper detailed track surface (which is the one you actually drive on, and feel in your FFB). Whether a laser scanned track surface (like in ACC) or a well-made mod (like LilSki or JohnR's), they'll include this feature, and you will want it ported into GTR 2 or AMS. Happily it's possible! :) FYI this same trick (non-visual detailed track surface) actually goes back to rF1 days - I believe lasercutter was the first to use it with his Thruxton mod, back in the day.

I should mention - while I've done lots of research, I have not actually tried it for myself! But if you decide to dive into this, if there's any small way I could help, I'd love to. And regardless, keep us up to date!

Last edited:
Thanks for the informative help pointing me in the right direction MJQT. It's on this spring's to do list - will try something more simple first to determine the difficulty of the process. If that goes well enough then the AMS world is my oyster! But as a total newbie I have no doubt I will be endlessly puzzled by it all followed by endless sleepless nights thinking about it.. :confused::roflmao:

Thanks for the informative help pointing me in the right direction MJQT.
My pleasure. :)

It's on this spring's to do list - will try something more simple first to determine the difficulty of the process. If that goes well enough then the AMS world is my oyster!
Smart to start simple. Then if it's successful and you enjoy it, you could dive into it more.

I believe you also play a bunch of GTR 2. FYI I was sad to learn recently that AMS 1 (and rF1 before it) doesn't support swapping to an AI driver in the pit menu like in GTR 2 – even if you add multiple drivers to the vehicle files and create talent files for all of them in AMS. :( So although AMS undoubtedly is the more sophisticated simulator for non-endurance races in dry conditions, and it'd be wonderful to have AC tracks in AMS, with races with AI driver swaps and changeable weather, there's also still a unique use case for GTR 2 in 2023... so it'd be cool to have AC tracks in GTR 2 as well :)

But as a total newbie I have no doubt I will be endlessly puzzled by it all followed by endless sleepless nights thinking about it.. :confused::roflmao:
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Also, just wanted to share some links that could be helpful.

To better understand what goes into AC track modding:

AMS Reiza road shader and visual marbles mapping in Blender:

AMS terrain mapping in Blender:

Billboard trees for AMS in Blender:

Side note: Martin Lacina is a hero :inlove:

Last edited:
Thanks for the links - l'll be working with the aim of completing a project for AMS first. Spend a lot of time racing it as I do GTR2 but AMS nudges it as I race more on triples than VR.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.