The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

I call this.... @norbs
Screenshot_ks_corvette_c7r_riverside_14-10-116-0-20-18.jpg

@LilSki consider this: my mother-in-law is finally leaving this weekend, weather forecast says rain, my newborn finally starts sleeping longer. It is the PERFECT weekend for you to release your RIR update :D also considering that I haven't yet made my (modest) donation so there would be an additional beer incoming for you. What do you say? Care to give this poor man a breather? Ok, ok, take your time. I'll try to survive.:cry:

@LilSki consider this: my mother-in-law is finally leaving this weekend, weather forecast says rain, my newborn finally starts sleeping longer. It is the PERFECT weekend for you to release your RIR update :D also considering that I haven't yet made my (modest) donation so there would be an additional beer incoming for you. What do you say? Care to give this poor man a breather? Ok, ok, take your time. I'll try to survive.:cry:
LOL it isn't quite ready for release yet so it won't be this weekend for sure. But I'll see what I can do ;)

I started on this last weekend :)
thomson_01.jpg

It is the track from the 1966-1973 Singapore Grand Prix, Thomson Road circuit. The circuit still exists as public roads, after the Government cancelled the Grand Prix in '73 and banned motor sports.
2000px-Thomson_Road_Circuit.svg.png

It's just over 3 miles long / 4.86km and features some amazingly flowing curves, as well as a few hairpins, a mile-long straight with a hump that propelled cars into the air at high speed, and 2 feet deep monsoon drains on either side of the track :D

There are a few videos on YouTube, but no real on-board footage to help me. DEM data for Singapore is quite sketchy too, but I have managed to come up with something that feels rather good (almost like a very mini Nordschleife) with a track that snakes through the jungle undergrowth, rising and falling as it follows the landscape.

This last shot is standing at the Circus Hairpin on the right, looking back down the start/finish straight - that crest in the distance is 'The Hump' where the cars would take off :) (and they do in AC too! :D)

st_20160911_grandp315_2586877.jpg

It's early days but it is proving to be a welcome bit of light relief from model-making for the Deutschland Ring :whistling:

thomson_01.jpg

It is the track from the 1966-1973 Singapore Grand Prix, Thomson Road circuit. The circuit still exists as public roads, after the Government cancelled the Grand Prix in '73 and banned motor sports.
2000px-Thomson_Road_Circuit.svg.png

It's just over 3 miles long / 4.86km and features some amazingly flowing curves, as well as a few hairpins, a mile-long straight with a hump that propelled cars into the air at high speed, and 2 feet deep monsoon drains on either side of the track :D

There are a few videos on YouTube, but no real on-board footage to help me. DEM data for Singapore is quite sketchy too, but I have managed to come up with something that feels rather good (almost like a very mini Nordschleife) with a track that snakes through the jungle undergrowth, rising and falling as it follows the landscape.

This last shot is standing at the Circus Hairpin on the right, looking back down the start/finish straight - that crest in the distance is 'The Hump' where the cars would take off :) (and they do in AC too! :D)

st_20160911_grandp315_2586877.jpg

It's early days but it is proving to be a welcome bit of light relief from model-making for the Deutschland Ring :whistling:

My hate for most things AC related at the moment can be put aside if you need cam files. I love the look of this track.

Sadly, because of the rubbish graphics engine, you wont be able to get shots like one above without massive flickering.

My hate for most things AC related at the moment can be put aside if you need cam files. I love the look of this track.

Sadly, because of the rubbish graphics engine, you wont be able to get shots like one above without massive flickering.
Most graphics engines have flickering (really all of them if the distance is far enough away)....

Entering higher stages - adding details and smoothing lines, while still one foot in the last of first stages - basic recreation. I'd like to create a thread, as it is really starting to pick momentum, but I have a goal to get driver into cockpit at first, watching him being stuck in fuel tank is annoying :D

By the way basic physics already is very very pleasant to drive, and not exactly easy, but not a spaceship or carriage either lol I guess in that era handling of the cars were majorly depending on technology of tires. And they wouldn't last a lot back then, especially while trying to release ~600 horses.

These vents will keep me busy, already did half the work, I guess.

3TscBxg.jpg

Few random renders:

Wu4mql4.png

7qZRd1a.jpg

FXdnlN9.jpg

I had to lengthen the rear end ~7cm, almost like XJ13 which was ~5cm too short in "blueprints". I wonder if it is coincidence, or a real thing with those drawings which people are calling blueprints.

Entering higher stages - adding details and smoothing lines, while still one foot in the last of first stages - basic recreation. I'd like to create a thread, as it is really starting to pick momentum, but I have a goal to get driver into cockpit at first, watching him being stuck in fuel tank is annoying :D

By the way basic physics already is very very pleasant to drive, and not exactly easy, but not a spaceship or carriage either lol I guess in that era handling of the cars were majorly depending on technology of tires. And they wouldn't last a lot back then, especially while trying to release ~600 horses.

These vents will keep me busy, already did half the work, I guess.

3TscBxg.jpg

Few random renders:

Wu4mql4.png

7qZRd1a.jpg

FXdnlN9.jpg

I had to lengthen the rear end ~7cm, almost like XJ13 which was ~5cm too short in "blueprints". I wonder if it is coincidence, or a real thing with those drawings which people are calling blueprints.

Car looks amazing already. Regarding the difference between drawings and photos of the actual car, that's really not unusual for a hand crafted car (same goes for the Jag). If it's anything like the construction industy, what is planned on paper and what actually gets build are rarely the same thing. Things change during construction and quite often the drawings don't get updated.

started something else on the shitty notebook. Slow and as old as me (but something with family value for me)
slow.jpg
here you can see my weird way of starting a car. Draw it from one side, extrude, then adjust from the other two sides until its something 3D, from there its on to the details. Probably down to my CAD schooling.

You made a fantastic choice :) Anything you need just ask :)

You made a fantastic choice

Thank you very much - I think so too. This track is so much fun to drive! :)

Anything you need just ask :)

Well, that depends on what you have... accurate DEM for Singapore at a higher resolution than 90m spacing? :laugh:

Seriously, if anyone has any information about Thomson Road circuit I would be very grateful. I can't even tell from the photos I have how they even drove into the pit area :unsure: It's coming along quite well, but I am having to use so much guess work. Any GPS data I have found seems quite inaccurate, so I'm mostly working on what feels right to drive :O_o:

Thank you very much - I think so too. This track is so much fun to drive! :)

Well, that depends on what you have... accurate DEM for Singapore at a higher resolution than 90m spacing? :laugh:

Seriously, if anyone has any information about Thomson Road circuit I would be very grateful. I can't even tell from the photos I have how they even drove into the pit area :unsure: It's coming along quite well, but I am having to use so much guess work. Any GPS data I have found seems quite inaccurate, so I'm mostly working on what feels right to drive :O_o:

thats the way we do "vintage racetrack anthropology" :geek::cry::thumbsup:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Forum trophies