The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

I am now happy with the environment for my Feldbergring track :) The ugly tree walls have all gone, replaced with 37,603 super-low poly trees (4 tris each). I have 11 different types of trees, all mapped to a single 1024 x 512 texture (which means I only needed to add 20 individual kstree_groups to cover the entire terrain. I can't see any impact on performance at all, although I have not yet added the 3D grass :unsure:

Also, for the first time ever, I have tried adding accurate tree / building shadows to my terrain's diffuse texture. In the past I have tried to place 3D trees to coincide with the trees on the diffuse texture, but this time I have airbrushed out all the 'real' trees and baked an AO texture in 3ds max using my X and Y trees. Overall I am pretty happy with the results, and it looks quite convincing from the cockpit view :thumbsup:

u7VGQrB.jpg

BYrPUry.jpg

FHzp6ok.jpg

WngvYYK.jpg

I68kK0w.jpg

I am now happy with the environment for my Feldbergring track :) The ugly tree walls have all gone, replaced with 37,603 super-low poly trees (4 tris each). I have 11 different types of trees, all mapped to a single 1024 x 512 texture (which means I only needed to add 20 individual kstree_groups to cover the entire terrain. I can't see any impact on performance at all, although I have not yet added the 3D grass :unsure:

Also, for the first time ever, I have tried adding accurate tree / building shadows to my terrain's diffuse texture. In the past I have tried to place 3D trees to coincide with the trees on the diffuse texture, but this time I have airbrushed out all the 'real' trees and baked an AO texture in 3ds max using my X and Y trees. Overall I am pretty happy with the results, and it looks quite convincing from the cockpit view :thumbsup:

Wow, looks like a massive improovement over the beta I got to try. You really been working on the track lately. Good to see so much progress! Keep it up!

u7VGQrB.jpg

BYrPUry.jpg

FHzp6ok.jpg

WngvYYK.jpg

I68kK0w.jpg
Should... you...
wanted to...
hmmm..
may... I... :redface:
beta... :redface:

u7VGQrB.jpg

BYrPUry.jpg

FHzp6ok.jpg

WngvYYK.jpg

I68kK0w.jpg
Amazing visuals! so all those AO shadows are baked into a huge texture? (no idea how tracks are set up)

Been doing something different for a change
pump2.jpg

Meant for @Phoenix77 PCH track and part of a bigger project we have :D

Haven't done one these kind of assets in a while, it was a quick one but fun to do. For now it's rendered in UE4 using a single PBR material in a 2048px map. Will have to translate it to AC and most likely into a 1024px map.

u7VGQrB.jpg

BYrPUry.jpg

FHzp6ok.jpg

WngvYYK.jpg

I68kK0w.jpg
I’m gonna go there in VR and have a little picnic!!
Very nice looking.

Amazing visuals! so all those AO shadows are baked into a huge texture? (no idea how tracks are set up).

Yes, the terrain uses a single 4096px diffuse texture, 4096px MAP texture and 4x detail textures. I substituted all of the Y and X trees in 3ds max for objects that would cast shadows and then rendered the AO to a 4096px texture.

fZNsxl2.jpg

xcnlDoS.jpg

5E5SGSM.jpg

1N0fdND.jpg

I have taken to baking all of my track assets (where practical), so all of the houses, marshal posts, even the wooden fences, all have correct AO shading and I think it makes the world of difference :thumbsup:

Love your track assets, btw :inlove:

Yes, the terrain uses a single 4096px diffuse texture, 4096px MAP texture and 4x detail textures. I substituted all of the Y and X trees in 3ds max for objects that would cast shadows and then rendered the AO to a 4096px texture.

fZNsxl2.jpg

xcnlDoS.jpg

5E5SGSM.jpg

1N0fdND.jpg

I have taken to baking all of my track assets (where practical), so all of the houses, marshal posts, even the wooden fences, all have correct AO shading and I think it makes the world of difference :thumbsup:

Love your track assets, btw :inlove:
Thanks! and you bet the AO adds a lot of depth to the scene. Thought the terrain texture was based on detail maps or generated in a more procedural way, didn't know a huge 4k map can cover such large area.

Amazing visuals! so all those AO shadows are baked into a huge texture? (no idea how tracks are set up)

Been doing something different for a change
View attachment 243751
Meant for @Phoenix77 PCH track and part of a bigger project we have :D

Haven't done one these kind of assets in a while, it was a quick one but fun to do. For now it's rendered in UE4 using a single PBR material in a 2048px map. Will have to translate it to AC and most likely into a 1024px map.
Absolutely stunning mate! Where's the wow button when you need it...
That's the best way I can describe that without using profanity! :D

I couldn't find "the what other people are working on thread" so I'll post this video here.

I'm still having to do in car orienteering as I don't know the track well yet and am double-declutching downshifts (poorly) so it is far from a hotlap of the track but all the better to view the scenery of Fat Alfie's Feldberg circuit!

Last edited:

u7VGQrB.jpg

BYrPUry.jpg

FHzp6ok.jpg

WngvYYK.jpg

I68kK0w.jpg
It looks exTREEmly good! :D

u7VGQrB.jpg

BYrPUry.jpg

FHzp6ok.jpg

WngvYYK.jpg

I68kK0w.jpg

I might as well start deleting all my other tracks because they won’t be driven once once this beauty is released. Looking amazing @Fat-Alfie

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.