The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

2015-volkswagen-polo-r-wrc_100497744_h.jpg

sef.jpg

efs.44.jpg

efs.45.jpg

sefdfsd.jpg

build old tracks (pre 70's) is like a art, where you can let you imagination fly a little bit more :)
i have been building a modern track recently, and even it is "easy" with all current data, at some point is just check real data and copy into sim. I really like to build that old tracks, i always feel there is even more behind all this, it is represent a part of our history. Long life to "old tracks" builders :)

Just found:

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/page/october-2002/80
pages 80 - 86

Not seen such a good picture of the farm area before!

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/blogs/james-page/uncovering-the-history-of-donington

And this shows a good pic of the old hairpin in 1971.

I really think that finding forums about old motorsport would help.

You could try contacting the circuit or trying to write to the Wheatcroft family or any kind of museum that either covers the area or cars / motorsport in general.

Perhaps Leicester / Derby councils or museums in the area will be able to help with historical aerial imagery or at least be able to tell you who might be able to help.
There is definitely 1945 imagery of the country but even anything between the time and the 90s might help, it all depends when things were altered.

Thanks so much these are great

Comfirmed a few things. I actually got them about right. Purly from guess work.. gonna lay the old ordanance survey map over the track this weekend. I spent i good while looking over this i think its going to be pretty acurate. (Well as accurate as i can hope for)

remember this?
wkwk1.57.jpg

wkwk1.55.jpg

a friend of mine sent me the official Porsche font yesterday. so i could type the PORSCHE INTELLIGENT PERFORMANCE similiar to the real one. (why didn't he send me earlier few months ago when i was working on this...)
and figured out the position of the WEC stickers on the front in order not to be overlapped with ext_decalssponsor (i thought it was asymmetric so we couldn't put it straightforward.. even using merge down on 3D feature. i figured it out when i did the R18).

i guess i will have some boos now. *run to save my precious life*

I'm most definitelly working on something, shrinkwrap is such an amazing and simple modifier. And lidar is awesome, but it takes some effort to process the data. The very first challenge was to actually locate where is the tarmac. At first I have mistaken tarmac with smoother mesh of grass in trackside, when I figured out that tarmac has very rough mesh, then it was quite easy, except at few locations, where lidar date seemed to be lower resolution, so I had to use GE to fine tune those sections. Untill now track seems to be really accurate, quite rough, so I'm still smoothing out some surfaces. Right now I'm forming the road edges of physical road mesh. IDK if it is best way, I could have just used graphical mesh which is layed over nicely with shrinkwrap modifier, and subdivide-and used displacement maps, but I chose to use actual mesh from the cloud, which gives me some manual work. At least, I don't know how else I could do this.

So I'm merging, and merging, and merging, and merging, and merg x 10000000000 times
bMYUGF2.jpg

Anyone has ever driven in real Goodwood Circuit ? :)

Camera shakes, so what does it mean ? :D

Soon TM

I'm most definitelly working on something, shrinkwrap is such an amazing and simple modifier. And lidar is awesome, but it takes some effort to process the data. The very first challenge was to actually locate where is the tarmac. At first I have mistaken tarmac with smoother mesh of grass in trackside, when I figured out that tarmac has very rough mesh, then it was quite easy, except at few locations, where lidar date seemed to be lower resolution, so I had to use GE to fine tune those sections. Untill now track seems to be really accurate, quite rough, so I'm still smoothing out some surfaces. Right now I'm forming the road edges of physical road mesh. IDK if it is best way, I could have just used graphical mesh which is layed over nicely with shrinkwrap modifier, and subdivide-and used displacement maps, but I chose to use actual mesh from the cloud, which gives me some manual work. At least, I don't know how else I could do this.

So I'm merging, and merging, and merging, and merging, and merg x 10000000000 times
bMYUGF2.jpg

Anyone has ever driven in real Goodwood Circuit ? :)

Camera shakes, so what does it mean ? :D

Soon TM
You should be able to make an image of the intesity data in the lidar data to locate the road. Use it as an overlay. That is of course if the data still holds the intensity data.

I think I'm way past that at the moment. I have progressed quite a bit, but I still could do some tweaking.

But I doubt that it would show much. The resolution of point cloud didn't seem to be very large. I'll have to learn about that intensity data image, I guess it is done with Cloud Compare ?

I think I'm way past that at the moment. I have progressed quite a bit, but I still could do some tweaking.

But I doubt that it would show much. The resolution of point cloud didn't seem to be very large. I'll have to learn about that intensity data image, I guess it is done with Cloud Compare ?
It shows up better than you think.The middle one is the intensity taken from cloud compare.
njmpdata1-jpg.171756

Nice ! It really does show things, will have to check it tomorow :) Is there any chance that lidar data could be skewed a little too ? I guess it depends on how it was captured, from what height, and angle of scan is also impertant, I suppose, I don't know what angle those lidar scanners can reach, I'd expect it is not very big angle.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • More leagues

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Trophies

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 3 5.8%