The Off-Topic Thread

KS95

RACER Moderator
Just to avoid spamming threads, how about an off-topic thread.. basically to ask stuff and talk about stuff that doesn't need it's own thread or isn't very relative.

I'll start lol. Is anyone else having problems downloading from tracciontrasera? I just get redirected to the homepage every time :(

Hey guys!
Maybe someone doesn't know - there a new version of SpinTires released.Unique offroad sim.
http://www.oovee.co.uk/spintire-download-mirrors/

Wow that looks really really cool :D

Is that Speed Tree used for the trees? It looks pretty nice and makes sense as it has physics included when he rams a tree :D

Not sure what the point is of such a game but it'd be fun to just have to get from A to B on bad terrain... some of the challenge trials in Screamer 4x4 were bonkers!

Dave

Wow. Just wow. I just tried out the game and it was amazing. Graphics are spectacular even on a low-mid range pc like mine I ran the game at highest settings and getting smooth FPS. The mud effects is unbelievable. I recommend this to all the Racer guys. its around 90mb. Not a full game but is still so much fun! The only downside is that it doesn't support my steering wheel... YET.

Yeah, looking forward to some actual gameplay from it, just cruising around is ok but it'd be nice to have goals :p and maybe some more variation in the depth of the mud, it seems like all the bogs are a uniform ~18 inches deep max.

In the bigger truck you can completely flatten the trees, the pines spring back up but there are some birch you can knock down. I had some fun almost getting stuck in the middle of the birch forest cause I managed to jam logs between the tires.

Mud is pretty sticky hehe, especially mud that deep!

I had a quick play just now and it's very nice looking, but being limited to offset cameras and keyboard controls is obviously not ideal to get a feel for it.

If it ends up anything like Screamer 4x4 but with bang up to date graphics and loads more vehicles/courses and a decent longevity (ie, not having it on-line only and servers turned off in 2 years kinda thing) then I'd buy that!

Dave

Yeah, I have an xbox gamepad around, much better than the keyboard options - you can aim the camera with one stick and steer with the other.

Hopefully they live up to the promise of G25/G27 compatibility and let that trickle down to other force feedback controllers.

I want realism and that means being stuck in the cockpit with no ability to look at wheels etc...

Or if we can look out, something like Euro Truck Simulator where you mouse over and it leans out of the window and back.

OK external views are nice, but it's more challenging to not have a fly-around external view too :)

Dave

KS95,
I save a page and then when I try another time I notice that there are things changed on the website. Then a few days later things are changed again and I'm able to save a page.

Really looks like the guys in the back room.

Edit: Last night it wouldn't save, tonight it did. Really wierd!

New CPU!

Not really. Just realised I'd turned mine to quiet ages back and left it there.

My 2500k had been running 1600mhz, now running 4300mhz haha!

Still not sure how its all meant to work these days with auto stuff. Settings everywhere hehe.

Seems my gpu fan is still the noisiest thing in my case even at idle. Hmmm.

Anyone know if its possible to mod a gtx275 heat sink/ fan unit to fit a big 120mm fan and CPU type cooler?
Done it years back with cable ties and stuff but these contained unit fans seem a bit more un moddable.

Hmmm

You could buy a new cooler designed for your GTX275, but it will likely cost $50-$70.
For example:
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/assistant/vga/chip/114

But there are other companies that make these things. Or you could get a GTX 770! That would blow your socks off. :p (at the cost of.. idk, $400ish?)

I got a nice quiet HIS Radeon HD 7950 IceQ X2 3GB for pretty cheap a few months back so I am content, despite Racer not really liking AMD cards. But then I have not been playing around with Racer much lately.

Seems my gpu fan is still the noisiest thing in my case even at idle. Hmmm.

Anyone know if its possible to mod a gtx275 heat sink/ fan unit to fit a big 120mm fan and CPU type cooler?
Done it years back with cable ties and stuff but these contained unit fans seem a bit more un moddable.

Hmmm
I've noticed that with my 550 Ti, my cpu fan can be set at max, and its barely noticeable, gpu fan at 70%? could probably hear that thing a 1/4 mile away. But at idle, its also barely noticeable.

I would imagine you could fit a 120mm fan on your card, its just the strapping it down part, my old 8600 GTS right before its death was silghtly modified to get it working really (it was a foxxconn card so death was inevitable). My current set up has a 120mm fan on the side, but i have it forcing air in right now, which with how my desk is set up, I'm thinking isn't the best idea, so I might turn it around at some point so it pushes air out.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 174 66.9%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 114 43.8%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 121 46.5%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 45 17.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 71 27.3%
Back