David Turnbull

PrestoGP Veteran
Car - F3000
Track - Bahrain
Duration - 67 minutes
Weather - Dry
Tyre wear - x 2
Fuel use - x 1

how does this sound to everyone? obviously things can be altered, i chose bahrain as it was an easy 1 stop race and has a good mix of corners with a not too long a laptime, we should get a good comparison with the diffrent settings.

all other presto rules apply and the event will follow the usual presto time scale.

1. David Turnbull

1. David Turnbull
2. Jim Hawley
3. Reik Major
4. ...

I'm fine with the settings. Nevertheless I thought we could compare tyre wear 2x better to last season if we leave anything else as it was, also 67 minutes race length. Also it seems undecided which race length we are going to see next season but it sounded like 75 mins could be a littel too long for some (not for me ;)). But personally I'm fine with the race length for this test...

Track choice: I agree with Dino on this one. The most important thing when it comes to track choice is; which track will give us the most well prepared participants. Without sufficient practice there is no point in participating in the test.

Bahrain might be good if one want to compare 1x wear with 2x wear, but I do not see the value in this. What we want to know is if 2x wear will give us a good balance between 1 and 2 stop strategy, or possibly between 2 and 3 stop.

Personally I would have gone for Monza, which is round 2 and is possibly the track that will give us the highest number of prepared participants.

Race length: I agree with Reik, I think it is a better idea to do a 67 minutes race, for both reasons he offers.

1. David Turnbull
2. Jim Hawley
3. Reik Major
4. ...

I hope we do the test on a s11 track as s10 is already been done and 20 tracks = 20 different rates of tirewear.
One of the first 2 tracks for example: 1. Spa (lower than average tirewear) or 2. Monza (lowest tirewear of s11)

Also could we do the race a bit later? It is a bit of short notice and there's plenty of time to season start still.

well looks like i was totally off on what you guys want so i'll let someone else deal with it if someone wants to do it, i dont see the point in practising monza as its one of the tracks with the least amount of corners and will show us nothing towards tyre wear, spa id rather not practise at the moment as its the first race and i dont want bored with the track when theres so much time till the new season and its not like weve not practised spa over and over again since we started using it in presto, the whole point was comparing a track that was an easy 1 stop in season 10 to see if the x2 would make a diffrence and wasnt the other point about 75mins races fine because no one has to stay longer as nico managed to find the extra time from warmup and practise sessions.

we'll looks like i was totally off on what you guys want so i'll let someone else deal with it if someone wants to do it,

If you change the schedule to the following...
Car - F3000
Track - Bahrain
Duration - 67 minutes
Weather - Dry
Tyre wear - x 2
Fuel use - x 1

...I would claim you are 100% in tune with the majority (presently).

It is only Dino and I who are arguing for a season 11 track, but we do not seem to be the majority. And it is only Dino who have asked for a different date I think.

I have no problem if we stick with Bahrain etc, but I think you will end up with valuable data from the top 6-7 drivers, the rest will not show, or they will show but put in a preformance that is not good enough to read anything out from it.

i dont get the point of argueing for a season 11 track though, your asking about prepared drivers, wouldnt folk be more prepared with a track theyve just driven as apposed to a track that they havent even practised for at least a year?

all the rest is fine by me it was open to changes, is it bahrain thats putting you and dino off? we could choose another, barca? im just not seeing how we can get a direct comparison from tracks we havent attempted for so long, at least season 10 tracks are fresh in everyones mind, everyone has setups (or should have).

edit: oh dates arent a problem, i forgot to mention that, im fine with having it whenever the majority want it :thumbsup:

wow, I checked in today and I see many good things happening here :)

If my opinion would count I would like to add my thoughts based on what it has been mentioned in this thread and the season 1 various settings.

track: I would prefer to use track from season 10, I know a track form season 11 will give us a heads-up but I prefer to not waste the challenge and the excitement that every new track brings close to the race day , it is important we compare the test results to the records we already have plus I do not have to practice a new track with these cars , I just need few laps to remember the track with the setup I already have and I know exactly what lap time to aim for using this setup so I can be quickly in a good shape for the race .

Race length : I would like to test the 75 m, I will enplane why below.

Track choice: I would go for Barca or shanghai, they both are popular tracks with high tire wear , we need to test a track with a high degradation rate and if we go with the 75m race length we will be pushing the limits to extract the maximum life out of the 1 stop strategy tires , and the race length might open up the door for the 3 stops strategy and in this case we can send out one particular driver to test the 3 stops strategy for us ( maybe Nico? , he uses less fuel and very kind on tires ), so this way we could have the answers for all the objectives, the 3 stops strategies + 2x tires + the 75 race length all in one session. after that we check to see what to alter or change.

for the strategy: we definitely need to split the field into 2 -3 groups as suggested somewhere by Jim or Helder i guess, but we need every one on board to get the best result.

EDIT : oops, I just saw David post and it seems he was reading my mind :).

I agree with David and Anthony in most of the points.

In my eyes Season 11 is still far away enough that serious preparation could start later. I think at the moment our view is aiming on the question if tyre wear 2x could support more different strategies as we saw with tyre wear 1x.

To find that out I think it's best to use a well known environment from Season 10 to compare data and really be focused on this comparison, without having to practice a new track-car-combo first. This should allow each interested driver to jump in quickly.

If we took a track which we are new on with the F3000 (Spa2008 or Monza) we might accidentically experience a nice balance between different strategies but we don't have a comparison how the race had been like if we used tyre wear 1x. So we have the risk that it luckiely payed off on this track but it could look different anywhere else.

Another downside would be that we first need to practice the new track-car-combo and could have a lag in consistancy in the test run which again would hinder a clear view on the comparison between 1x and 2x tyre wear.

About date (should better be in 2 weeks), race length and track choice I don't car much, as long as it's a Season 10 track for this "special" test. I think using Season 11 tracks could follow in later pre season test (preparation) runs.

1. David Turnbull
2. Jim Hawley
3. Reik Major
4. Helder Filipe
5. Sean Greenlaw

Im happy to test whatever, whenever just itching to race again lol. On the track we use we could simply put to a vote from guys that are going to do the test perhaps or working out which is best in this thread, if I had to pick 1 I would pick 1 from s10 with average lap time and average pitlane or pit time for example Spa and Monza have also dramaticly different pit times Spa being long and Monza really fast times. Has the 2008 Spa also got the pits where we have to enter at bus stop and then all the way round to exit after aurouge ?

All I think we are looking from test is people who one stop 2x can manage and do notice slight more difficult at end of stints I think this will still be optimal strategy for most tracks and don't think we will see a 3 stop, but maybe also with slight longer race the extra pace loss may make the 2 stop come closer again. Also if some find 1 stop to tricky 2x wear we also have the option to play with tires in setup and we we drive stint which for certain tracks maybe necessary to make 1 stop more comfortable.

I will most likely not participate, but i found this test very interesting. And a season 10 track is the best choice i think. Also same race lenght as season 10, 67 minutes, to have a better compare. If it happen to rain a lot that particular test race day, i might be able to join :) For having test a bit with 2x wear, i think the balance will be between 1 and 2 stops. And at the end of the 1 stopper stint, lap times will be much slower, based on what i tried.

Steeve

i dont get the point of argueing for a season 11 track though,
I wrongly assumed that more would think like me. But I never intended to overrule any majority, I just shared my own thoughts like everyone else.

1. David Turnbull
2. Jim Hawley
3. Reik Major
4. Helder Filipe
5. Sean Greenlaw
6. Dino Paolini
7. Valerio Vinassa
8. Nicolas Rougé
9. Nicolai Nicholson

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes