Technology Preview - Time Attack - Top 30 Leaderboard

So... to kill some time i decided to make a Top 30 board for all RD members.
To get your time official you need to make a post and post a screenshot/video of the time.

Car - Lotus Elise SC
Track - Magione

edit: nevermind, people will never learn.
1.23.456 - Hampus Andersson
*picture or video*

Do not edit your own post telling me you have updated it with a new time, make a new post.

1. 1.21.813 - William Levesque
  2. 1.21.942 - Martin Kroenke
  3. 1.22.203 - Luca Sodano
  4. 1.22.248 - Requiem84
  5. 1.22.272 - Luke Russell
  6. 1.22.320 - Tariq Gamil
  7. 1.22.434 - Aleksi Elomaa
  8. 1.22.482 - tHenOrthfACe
  9. 1.22.536 - Jan Coomans
  10. 1.22.536 - Arkadiusz Wawrzyniak
  11. 1.22.557 - 6e66o
  12. 1.22.563 - Hampus Andersson
  13. 1.22.602 - Graham Byford
  14. 1.22.647 - Maciej Dolinski
  15. 1.22.779 - Mitja Bonca
  16. 1.22.785 - TLiivo
  17. 1.22.824 - Pablo Lopez
  18. 1.22.872 - BaldApe
  19. 1.22.938 - nijeat
  20. 1.22.974 - Lee Ross
  21. 1.22.974 - Craig Booth
  22. 1.23.052 - Salajutsu
  23. 1.23.082 - Dino Paolini
  24. 1.23.145 - Marcel Pfister
  25. 1.23.199 - Tony Rickard
  26. 1.23.232 - JvMr
  27. 1.23.256 - Michael Hornbuckle
  28. 1.23.301 - Jack Sargent
  29. 1.23.304 - Maciej Dolinski (with aids)
  30. 1.23.310 - Manuel Darin

omg I hope I am better with other cars at other tracks... driving the tp almost every day... but I just can't go faster... high 1.23s (1.23.571 my pb) are my very best laps... my usual laps are low 1.24s ... there is just no way to go faster (for me)... I am at a point where the elise just starts to skip around... I can't find the grip needed to go faster... time for high perfomance cars at fast tracks :D I hope the release is soon... (but I expect something about end of may (end of spring) or so,... but I hope ofcourse spring is meaning early spring lol :D )

At least better than me, i still dont know how the hell people drift around the corner with this car, Me either drift too hard and off the best line or drift stop in the mid of the corner :cry: My best is only 1:24.9xx but normally 1:25.xxx . Just realize 0.9.9 was released so lets see if this latest version help me drift better :D

well you shouldn't realy "drift"... that is always slow... just rotating the car into the turn.. but when you drift at the exit you loose time because you don't have full traction then... a little bit of sideways (not realy "drifting" only a bit of side forces pushing the car while still going forward..) may be ok at some points... but I don't find any turns in magione where that would be the way... usually such things happen at fast bus stop chicanes and such things where you may even implement that in the line... (the fast chicane at enna pergusa in GTR can be an example for that or the busstop at daytona)
but when your back starts to wanting overtake you at the corner exit thats always slow...
the trick is to do that a little bit in the corner entry but wouldn't call that "drifting".. would call it more like pointing/rotating the car to the apex, so that you can go quite fast on the throttle again...
thats also the thing where I still struggle a bit... most of the time of my 20 years of sim racing (even if you maybe don't want to call the early "sims" of the 90s simulations), I drove more the high performance cars like fast formula cars (F1, indycar...) or prototypes... the most "drifty" cars I drove were GTs... and in that fast tech advanced race cars there is the smooth tidy way often faster...
it's the first time for me that I realy start to compete or to hotlap in a streetcar... they just seem to need somekind of "force them to rotate into turn" behavior to go fast in them...

but it's like with everything in racing.. the right balance is the fastest way... not one extreme or the other extreme...(except rally here lool :D )

1:24.018 with H shifter and no aids.
Above is my best so far, and my usual best times are around 1m24s2~3. Well, of course out of the chart.
I think my weakest point is actually the last S curve, I am occasionally inconsistent there. And it's been rather bad to take too late braking in sector 1 for me so far.

I need your advice to be more improved. Thanks.

At least better than me, i still dont know how the hell people drift around the corner with this car, Me either drift too hard and off the best line or drift stop in the mid of the corner :cry: My best is only 1:24.9xx but normally 1:25.xxx . Just realize 0.9.9 was released so lets see if this latest version help me drift better :D

I don't drift and I did 1:22,764 and I still have some room to improvement. You "just" have to brake at the right moment, take the corner in the best possible line that allows you to reach the highest speed possible. And push gas paddle as soon as possible (every hunderths of oa second) .

well you shouldn't realy "drift"... that is always slow... just rotating the car into the turn..

Thats exactly what i keep asking myself, HOW you guys do that ?? Try all the different driving style that i adapt from playing F1 2011 / Dirt series / Shift 2 / GRID and also throttle and brake exactly like some of the video here but the result is just absolutely rubbish :cry: I think its the different between many years vs 2 months sim racer :D

Thats exactly what i keep asking myself, HOW you guys do that ?? Try all the different driving style that i adapt from playing F1 2011 / Dirt series / Shift 2 / GRID and also throttle and brake exactly like some of the video here but the result is just absolutely rubbish :cry: I think its the different between many years vs 2 months sim racer :D
Please unlearn whatever it is you have learned on these games, lol.

I think its the different between many years vs 2 months sim racer :D

Not really :) I got my g27 since mid december 2012 so it is 3 months now and it is my first force feedback wheel. Before that I got some nameless **** with 180 degree rotation and 2 pedals and I played TDU :) When I bought g27 I was playing rfactor until AC TP came out. Just learn basic racing techniques and be disciplined in using them. And also you have to be in a good mindset to get fast times. That is how I got into 1:22 min in such a quick time with no experience in simracing at all.

Not really :) I got my g27 since mid december 2012 so it is 3 months now and it is my first force feedback wheel. Before that I got some nameless **** with 180 degree rotation and 2 pedals and I played TDU :) When I bought g27 I was playing rfactor until AC TP came out. Just learn basic racing techniques and be disciplined in using them. And also you have to be in a good mindset to get fast times. That is how I got into 1:22 min in such a quick time with no experience in simracing at all.

Too bad so far no sign of your type of sim talent inside me :cry:

first like william said... you can't realy use what you are in that games used to be fast... in such games the cars or physics or whatever are always not so understeery and if you drift in them it won't cost much time.. in a sim.. cars are often understeery at least when going too fast into a turn.. and drifting costs time...

in that arcade or simcade titles it's often the fastest way to wether brake or throttle... in a sim you have quite often turns where you just let the car roll through (sometimes with just a little bit of throttle to keep it stable)
for example the hairpins... brake into it then let it roll a little bit and then get on the throttle again...
without throttle the car rotates much better... sometimes even too much (called liftoff oversteer)... if you realize it rotates too much "drag it back" a bit with a little amount of throttle...(not 100% throttle then you will spin or at least drift.. just a bit to get out of the oversteer)... that alone won't maybe won't make you faster... because going on and off and on the throttle and so will cost you corner exit speed... but you will become a feeling how you can turn the car with the throttle (and brakes) instead with the steering wheel...

the elise is quite liftoff happy I would say... I mean.. under braking it starts to understeer and with throttle it also understeers... but if you let it roll.. it becomes quite rotate friendly even a bit oversteery... so it is importend to learn how you balance and time your pedal inputs to make the car what you want it to do...
like braking into turn to use the most time of the speed..and also maybe even more importend to let the weight transfer to the front so the front becomes more grip and the back less... then go off the brake and if you are not on the throttle at that time you will see how much it rotates more at that moment... it's like swinging the back around a bit... then on the throttle to get a good corner exit speed...
the closer all that comes together the faster you can get around... and the faster you go the more detailed become the differences...

if I am right I read somewhere that you are already in the 1.25s that isn't sooooo slow... it's not fast no... but I would say with the 1.25s the detail work starts... it's still quite rough because the room of improvement is still quite big... but it starts to go into the details... because with a totally crappy drive you also wouldn't get into the 1.25s

maybe it's also just the car and track that just isn't suiting you...ofcourse a realy good racecar (or simcar driver) should be quite fast in everything you give him...
and yes some people just have talent for it... so that they are already fast after a few laps or weeks..

like I said I am driving sims then 20 years... but I still can't go faster then 1.23.5s time

thats the thing with simracing.. the raw goal is ofcourse to be the fastest... and the other goal which is implemented in that is to always improve yourself... but there will be always someone who is faster (unless you are called greger huttu lol)
thats in simracing even more then in real racing because simracing can be afforded by a lot more people then real racing...
which then resulting the main goal to become to improve yourself

I just did my PB in PRO mode, G25, H shifter, ABS OFF (with Ctrl A, don't know if it's an advantage, but i was just messing around with that option)
acs20130316214216554.jpg

for example the hairpins... brake into it then let it roll a little bit and then get on the throttle again...
without throttle the car rotates much better... sometimes even too much (called liftoff oversteer)... if you realize it rotates too much "drag it back" a bit with a little amount of throttle...(not 100% throttle then you will spin or at least drift.. just a bit to get out of the oversteer)... that alone won't make you faster... because going on and off the throttle will cost you corner exit speed... but you will become a feeling how you can turn the car with the throttle (and brakes) instead with the steering wheel

Something very new to me, the whole concept is a little bit complicated compare to all the previous racing game that i had play before. I have no problem with the track but really not sure how to handle the car properly when cornering, you know my cheap saloon car actually turn much better in just any corner. Anyway at least now i know the right way to do (i guess :D) thanx to your explanation.

So brake hard toward the corner, then slowly release & finally off the brake when the car hit the apex and steer a little bit to let the car roll (without braking & throttle) and start to throttle once the car point to the right direction. Is it something like that ??

Many thanks & good day :cool:

you know my cheap saloon car actually turn much better in just any corner.
That is because even a cheap saloon car generates at least some force on your body when cornering even at slow speeds. So a 40mph corner taken well below the limits of the tyres can feel lke a decent amount of grip. A sim racing car in our static home environments you get zero force so you have to get your cornering force cues from graphics and ffb.

If you were cornering your cheap saloon car around Magione at the same speeds as we do in AC I can pretty much guarantee your car would simply fall off the road! It is just that the sim doesn't feel as grippy devoid of the forces acting upon us.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.