Steam & RACE 07/ON GTR EVO changes on 01/09/12

I've noticed that Steam has moved around the way it stores my Race On data, now all the data has moved to:
X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RACE 07
(stored with rest of the steam games instead of steamapps\USERNAME\RACE07) & now includes all subfolders & files loose.

This means all mods have to be relocated & unfortunately some mods are playing up.

Also problems with launching the game being encountered at our end.

Just a heads up.

EDIT: Problem of launching the game seems to be solved by deleting all content, reinstalling Race 07, shutting steam down, restarting & then in to game.

Mod Edit: tutorial for relocation here, by @Kennett Ylitalo

It seems it is affecting both, digital and dvd. What is worse, people that went through this whole hassle and finally got it to work...the next day they reboot their machines what they have is a non-working Race07 (CTDs gallore).

Terrible move by Steam, yet again.

Well, Steam forums have people that sent emails to Steam Support, no reply. Same thing elsewhere.

One of the things that keep popping up is this:

It is in other thread to copy steam.dll from the main Steam folder to the Common\Race07 folder.

I did that maybe thats why mine works.

This seems to help some people, regardless of how odd it sounds.

EDIT:

Yet another action that worked for somebody:

Found the answer (for me), you mileage may vary.
  • Copy steam.dll from steam root to race 07 root.
  • Launch from Steam library page.
  • Forget launching from add-on apps.
  • All addons and mods work.

Found an interesting post that might help people prevent further complications:

did you guys get a steam compatability download? i did yesterday or the day before, aproximatly 2600mb. the game runs for me but wont read any mods tracks or custom cars. lost all my profile coontrol settings lap records everything. all the files are there but the game wont read them.

That's what I did and still do ... and everything's working .... until now anyway.
But I only updated Race07 and no other expansion.
And moreover:
If I would, I could
I didn't update any other expansion than Race07.But I copied my old Race07 somewhere else and didn't delete my preceeding Documents\Simbin...
More and more I think I might make a manual restore of the original steam Race07 install ... and keeping Steam Offline for good and never coming Steam Online again.
Mine is working but sometimes with slow session loading.My 2 league championships begin within a few days and that's the only reason that makes me hesitate to do so.
One time Steam .... but I know it is the last time.These people are not correct and have no respect for their customers.I'm always keeping cool but this kind of manners are too much for me.! ( Posted by me at NG )

I always am prudent .... no changes, nothing new .... without backing up.
I don't know if I'm 'Dear Prudence' (Beatles, White Album 1968 ):unsure: but that helps a lot in case of problem. :)
New document, skin, track, mod and everything .... immediately backup on USB key or DVD.

Never lost 1 file for more than 15 years

That's quite good trackrecord, i lost few tens of gigs of projects not long ago.. Two backups, had to clear the space for one of them, the next OS install i just cleared the laptop with confidence "they are all in the work/gamepc in the second HDD".. They weren't.. anymore... I started to do triple backups with one in the cloud from then on.

I got Steam client update today, think it's unrelated, TF2 started updating right after that..... I base this on the fact that it was quick and everything worked with Race07.. Switched Steam to off-line immediately, i got the update working on the first try, no more chances until someone else does it succesfully first..

And everyone who moans about not working game, read the tutorials first then start asking questions, please.

That's what I did and still do ... and everything's working .... until now anyway.
[...]respect for their customers.I'm always keeping cool but this kind of manners are too much for me.! ( Posted by me at NG )

I'm thinking that out of frustration or fear some people will hastily:
1- delete/uninstall everything (some even saved account/profile information) and start over (poor solution, given the fact that there are cases reported by simracers that did exact that only to find out NOTHING worked)
2- try repeatedly to update and when that doesn't work try action 1
3- delete/uninstall everything (some even saved account/profile information) just before updating even though (a)they don't need the update to race online and (b) they haven't had any trouble...yet (I'd say, if it ain't broken don't fix it) - another poor solution, given reports from people who did just that and still haven't Race07 working
4- "mess" with configuration files, move folders - all done, in theory following some plan or advices but haste makes waste and we know what happens

So, how about collecting in a single post the actions recommended by you, Jean-Pierre and Kennett Ylitalo and provide links to other sites (especially for Steam forums)? Condense every thing into one solid albeit long "Avoid or fix troubles caused by the latest Steam update".

That is my advice.

Really a good idea Chronus but ...
- we used different methods Kennet and I : mine is on page 5, Kenneth on page 6 and someone at GTC Challenge a good one too in french.
sometimes with success sometimes with no luck for some.... what's the real best ? I don't know for sure ... as sometimes we hear problems of Race07 owners having troubles though applying these advices.
- the only system to avoid troubles .... play Steam Offline ....

I did my best to help until now cos' I had time free, I have less time now. New responsabilities in my league and as I'm not the best driver ( coming from backmarker, sure Dennis or Rupe or Kennet I think remember my first racing clubs here on Mini Fridays :p to middle field now ) I still have much to prepare myself to the 2 championships beginning very soon. + other activities ( Scrabble season beginning, website to update regularly without forgetting my family of course :) )

Chronus, as you too made very good links between all ideas, maybe you're the best one to make this summary if you have time ?
Sure you could do it very well. ;)

Well, was just an idea, my contributions were not significant but the ones by the two of you may help a lot of annoyed people.

I admit I didn't consider the difference between your methods and Kennett's would somehow clash or be counter-productive. My bad.

I hope Steam will contribute more than they're doing.

I add to this: much on NG too + Raceroom Forum much advices too
and other forums too
Sure most concerned Race07 fans will first have a look on these specialized forums rather than the general Steam forum.;)

João,
Just incase.... I deleted all local content and I'll do an install from scratch... including expansions. Hope tomorrow on the day after I can play race 07 since I have a horrible internet connection.

a word from steam in this thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2919562
martinoo:
RACE 07 was accidently converted to the new content system, which RACE 07 doesn't support since it's using GCF depot files. We just corrected that mistake and switched it back. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by this mistake.

I'm a bit lost now. I got Race 07 working using the above instructions and was working fine till this morning. Now Steam has created a new user folder (Race 07 Install 2) and I can't see any of my installed mods.

Another bit of new funny behaviour this morning is where I can load Race 07 once. But if I close it down and then restart the game from Steam, nothing happens (ie the game doesn't start). I have to reboot the PC to reload the game.

Also if I run the config.exe, it creates a new Race 07 Install xx folder.

Strange.....

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea