Steam & RACE 07/ON GTR EVO changes on 01/09/12

I've noticed that Steam has moved around the way it stores my Race On data, now all the data has moved to:
X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RACE 07
(stored with rest of the steam games instead of steamapps\USERNAME\RACE07) & now includes all subfolders & files loose.

This means all mods have to be relocated & unfortunately some mods are playing up.

Also problems with launching the game being encountered at our end.

Just a heads up.

EDIT: Problem of launching the game seems to be solved by deleting all content, reinstalling Race 07, shutting steam down, restarting & then in to game.

Mod Edit: tutorial for relocation here, by @Kennett Ylitalo

Ive dumped race07. steam seriously messed up my game and i refuse to use steam any more. they crossed the line on this one. nothing worked with me. open race07 none of my simbin packs worked. then if i opened race07 via the add on pack icons the race07 and gtr evo cars didn't worked....so its all gone. £90 down the drain. THANK YOU STEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally haven't ran into any problems with what occurred. I own all the games and packs separately on Steam so I'm not sure if a certain combination of packs is breaking it for some users. Steam only had to redownload RACE 07 for me (~2.2 gigs), it didn't overwrite any existing files. I was able to move/fix all my user profiles and third-party mods and tracks in a minute.

Obviously before trying any of this, move and backup (not copy, so is everything is empty and fresh) the My Documents -> SimBin directory and your /steam/steamapps/EMAIL-OR-USERNAME/race 07/ folder to somewhere safe.

Then I'd try copying the Steam.exe file into a brand new directory and running it so it creates a brand new Steam installation, login with your usual account details, download just RACE 07, launch it and make sure it works, then download all the other packs and see what happens.

Ive dumped race07. steam seriously messed up my game and i refuse to use steam any more. they crossed the line on this one. nothing worked with me. open race07 none of my simbin packs worked. then if i opened race07 via the add on pack icons the race07 and gtr evo cars didn't worked....so its all gone. £90 down the drain. THANK YOU STEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!

If i may talk in this thread freely anymore... No, nothing is lost. Yes, you need to download at least 2.2gb of data that is already in your computer in different form. I wouldn't throw 90£ away when the solution is quite simple. There are three methods, Hiroshis/Chronus = stay offline, this is too late for you. Then there is my method, which is the simplest one and has worked on some 100% and on some it bugs still. Search it yourself it's in page 1 or in this thread. Then there J-P Blanchys method which is a lot quicker but relies that the old install was perfect.

Also on J-Ps post is really unnecessary stuff, it has Race 07 Install 5 folder, something that should never happen.... "Install 2" folder is for dedicated server, anything above that is a mistake. But the copy of Race 07 to common is nice addition, didn't want to add that step since at that point there was no real confirmation on the contents of the update... I'll re-post the tutorial and add the new info.

I got all but WTCC2010 installed, GTR-EVO was a bundle, all others are separate. I would like to know if Injection users are most affected by this since it's a combination of different expansions..

I'm sure Steam will miss your business.
Don't forget to kick your monitor too, that bastard is definitely in cahoots with evil Steam, they always are!

Just reinstall it all? At least it's all very simple with Steam.

What changed:
The location of the gamefiles. Nothing else, no physics updates, no bug fixes, we are still driving Race 07 v1.2.1.10. It's a major change so the game has to be started from Race 07, not from any of the expansions. In the first start after update you'll get config screen. It acts like a new install so My Docs\SimBin requires some action too.

The old address:
Steam\steamapps\[STEAM USER ID]\Race 07

The new address:
Steam\steamapps\common\Race 07

Everything after that is the same as before. So it's only one change, the STEAM USER ID changed to "common".

Customskins and player profile:
Rename the old SimBin\Race 07 folder in My Docs. Start and close the game (no need to go past config screen). This creates a new My Docs\SimBin\Race 07 folder. Copy all folders from the old renamed Race 07 to the new one (Customskins and userdata are the most important ones).. Do not copy the two txt files (sysinfo.txt and GameInstallDir.ini)

Mods and tracks:
Copy everything from your old Gamedata and UIData to the new location. Windows will ask for "Folder Replace", click "Yes to All".

End of "tutorial"

EDIT:
XD users: Install XD to the new location.. Or copy d3d9.dll to the new location. If you do the latter, you don't need to re-install dx9 from Microsoft...

Real Time Telemetry doesn't require changes.

MoTec users need to edit their PLR files.

MotedADD users should have their product working like normal, AFAIK

ADDITIONS:

Chronus and Hiroshi mentioned the off-line method: start steam in offline mode, go to game properties and switch auto updates off while your at it. You can use all Race07 online features with Steam offline. This definitely is the easiest and fastest but since most players have Steam in on-line mode and auto updates on, it's not for everyone. Steam is just a glorified launcher anyway...

J-P Blanchys mentioned that you can speed up the update process by copying the old Steam\steamapps\[STEAM ID]\Race07 to Steam\steamapps\common\Race 07 without any mods or addon tracks.. This is a bit risky but if your confident that your current Race07 and all expansions are 100% functional it's second fastest way to do handle this pain in the neck. There's a nice little tip for getting rid of Install 2 folder too, you might want to check that out...

Ok, I've moved all the files and folders as noted above and I got the game working, or parts of it... (so thanks Kennett for that!)

My game with its expansions is here as listed:

GT Power Expansion (working)
GTR Evolution (not working)
Race 07 (working)
Race On (not working)
The Retro Expansion (working)
STCC II (working)
STCC: The Game (not working)
The WTCC 2010 Pack (working)

All of those used to work and start from Steam before today, and now after all the updates and tweaking the only way to start the game is to hit the last one, the 2010 pack. With the Race 07 it won't start...

Does anyone has the idea what's wrong in my case???

I uninstalled Race 07, Retro, and Race On. Then restored from steam backups; restarting steam and testing them after each install. Steam converted everything quickly and painlessly downloading only a few MB in total. It now uses the \SteamApps\common\race 07\ directory.

I also had previously changed my gameinstalldir.ini before doing this.
I found things would stop launching unless you restarted steam after installing each one.
I have not seen any "something 2" "whatever 3" folders. *shrug*

So far I have since added back some mod tracks(after making a list of the stock ones!) and so far things seem to be working. Of course I say that before today's Retro Max event and it will stop working. :p

I uninstalled Race 07, Retro, and Race On. Then restored from steam backups; restarting steam and testing them after each install. Steam converted everything quickly and painlessly downloading only a few MB in total. It now uses the \SteamApps\common\race 07\ directory.

I also had previously changed my gameinstalldir.ini before doing this.
I found things would stop launching unless you restarted steam after installing each one.
I have not seen any "something 2" "whatever 3" folders. *shrug*

So far I have since added back some mod tracks(after making a list of the stock ones!) and so far things seem to be working. Of course I say that before today's Retro Max event and it will stop working. :p

That might be the key! Restart Steam after the update, maybe even twice to make sure. My install was Race 07 + expansion in one go and then Steam restart, it downloaded ~5 files that were broken and then it worked and continues to work.

Something else that might be a good key for settling the long time session loading ... something that often happens after the update.
Source Raceroom Forum: verify Race07 Gamecache ... if there are errors, there'll be a small download to correct these.
Afterwards game's running normally.

Not yet done but ... said ;) ( and I didn't want to copy Jon Anderson's song: ...Easier said than done ! :cool: )

If ( and it's not the case ) I had big problems, what I'd do and I could do it because I use Steam Backup for my games would be:
- save mods and addon tracks + Document\Simbin + your Steam account name and password
- delete all Race07 games and expansions and then delete Steam
- install Steam again ( I think if I remember well you'll get a message from Steam to confirm you're the owner of the game ) and install your Steam Backups.

It's what I did one year ago when I moved Steam from C: drive to E:drive.

Hoping I don't forget anything ???

As someone who played Race07 the night before this all kicked off, and has been too worried to boot it back up again for fear of STEAM buggering everything up. I'd like to offer my sincerest thanks to all those who took the time to contribute to this thread to help the rest of us who have been scratching our collective heads in bewilderment.

Cheers chaps! :thumbsup:

Ok,
If ( and it's not the case ) I had big problems, what I'd do and I could do it because I use Steam Backup for my games would be:
- save mods and addon tracks + Document\Simbin + your Steam account name and password
- delete all Race07 games and expansions and then delete Steam
- install Steam again ( I think if I remember well you'll get a message from Steam to confirm you're the owner of the game ) and install your Steam Backups.

It's what I did one year ago when I moved Steam from C: drive to E:drive.

Hoping I don't forget anything ???

Now I got my game right finally... Didn't need to uninstall Steam or restart it between the operations, but uninstall the game and the expansions AND manually remove the MyDocs/Race07 (added the subfolders only afterwards) and steamapps/common/race07 folders.

Thanks to everyone here :coffee:

Thanks Paul,
But I just made the bridge between the 5 forums of which I'm a member ... and as I have a strong sciatica for the moment .... it was the best I could do.

So, thanks to all communities ! :thumbsup:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 209 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 150 7.7%
  • < 5 years