Sprint Pack Skin Requests - closed and completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
OK gents - I'm working on the overall RD skinpack - progress is, well, progressing - but there's a lot to do and it will take some time.

But what I want to do sooner than the overall skinpack is to create a "sprint pack" - comprising personalised Minis / Abarths / Elites, something I have mentioned before.

These three cars will form the short track sprint pack, which we will use more regularly than the other cars, because the short track racing in these cars is so close and so much fun.

To this end, what I want to do is to create a pack, with 3 cars each, personalised to you.

Your limitations are: whatever design / colours / sponsors you choose must be carried across all 3 cars (Mini / Abarth / Elite).

If you want to use a particular car from one of the existing Abarth or Elite skinpacks, you can choose it on a first come, first served basis, but you can only choose 1 (either 1 Abarth or 1 Elite), and then all three of your cars will use that colour scheme / sponsor. You can choose a number as well if you really want to, again on a first come, first served basis.

I'll do the skin creation for you if you can't do it yourselves, you just need to drop your requests off here.

You don't need to have a sponsor, a colour scheme will do.

So - fire away. My paintbrush it twitching (not a euphemism) :D

Terms & conditions: this offer limited to the core group of GTL-ers. JCL's or chancers need not apply.

• Matt Crouch

I'm trying to create one in the style of the Haynes manual [the first one was for a healey don't you know] logo (red and yellow). The main thing I want to be able to do is get the skin to a point where I can actually view it on the car as it's rather difficult to tell what it looks like laid out flat :wink2:

Oh and I was looking to do number 789 assuming it isn't used elsewhere (why did 6 run away from 7?)

The easiest way to do that is to save the skin as the name of one of the default Elite skins.

To use this method, create a skin as normal, then save it in (for example) the Elite 120 directory as a normal DXT1 dds file (same as evo) but call it 120_LOTUS_ELITE_BODY1.dds.

The same is true for the Windows (120_LOTUS_ELITE_WINDOWS.dds) and as a DXT5 dds.

Because the "real" skin is inside the GEditor files, you can just drop correctly named skins in the directory, they get priority over the GEditor packed files (GEditor files are essentially game specific "zip" sort of files) and you can see the cars in the Garage roundabout - that's how I got all the pictures above - they are overlaying the default skin in the 120 directory.

To get back to default, just remove your dds files. :good:

• Matt Crouch

Handy informations, thanks.

went to click the Thanks button on the post but you edited it just before my mouse got there and the button disappeared :roflmao:

Bear in mind though, Croucher, if you want to dabble - the Elite & the Abarth are both far, far easier than the Mini to learn GTL skinning on.

This is because the Elite & the Abarth each have a single 3D model to skin.

The mini has about 5, and you need to tie up the painted skin parts to the correct 3D model or the windows and catches etc will all be skew-whiff. When (if) you get to the mini, let me know and I'll go through it with you.

OK just a quick 15min muck around :D

whuwip.png

Hmm had a quick look in the Game Directory and don't actually see a cockpit.dds. So indeed in might need some jiggery pokery.

Just a little update, added a Nr plate :wink2: and changed the stripe a little(although I still can't make my mind up, I like the one in the post above coz it's the nearly the same as your GT40 Hammers skin (hope you don't mind the copy)

whu-rear.jpg

whu2.jpg

Steve - get yourself GEditor (free download) , there's always a *.gtl file in the cars that holds the cockpit dds files.

in the Elite it's 120_CPIT_ULTRA_TEX.gtl for example - open that up in GEditor, you'll see it's basically a zip file containing the interior dds files.

31's fine Glenn :good:

• Matt Crouch

I've spent quite a while fiddling and fiddling and fiddling with it and I've ended up dropping Haynes and selling out to Coca Cola, purely because I didn't think Haynes yellow really looked right on a car, went through a whole load of colour schemes and chose the only sponsor I could think of that fit it :heh:. I've put exactly the same red on this as the Shelby GT350 no 880

Very much subject to change:

wow that attachment came out pretty ugly, I don't have the resolution on my tv to take a bigger one though :p

just noticed I need to line up the inside of the wheel arch properly..

Attachments

• GTL 2009-05-11 18-35-23-47.jpg
    GTL 2009-05-11 18-35-23-47.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 181
OK got Geditor, got the files extracted after renaming the .gtl file to a .gtr file then the hard bit, colour overlay doesn't work, it just adds a block colour right over the top of all the detail, so I had to use the Hue/Saturation feature (Ctrl + U) then use the doppler to select the colour, then slide the bars around til I found a near enough match. Bleedin hell. Imported the files back into the .gtr file, saved it then renamed it back to a .gtl file. Phew.

Oh and it worked.:victory:

But what a bloody palaver. Please tell me there is an easier way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes