Simple Power & Glory Install

Shovas

Premium
Power & Glory installs cause a lot of confusion so here is the simplest install path:
  1. Download Power & Glory
  2. Extract to a GTR2 folder
  3. Configure GTR2Config.exe and GTR2.exe
  4. 4GB Patch GTR2.exe
  5. Race!
Table of Contents
  1. Download Power & Glory
  2. Extract to a GTR2 folder
  3. Configure GTR2Config.exe and GTR2.exe
  4. 4GB Patch GTR2.exe (Recommended)
  5. Crew Chief GTR2 Enhancements Plugin (Optional)
  6. HQ Anniversary Patch (Optional) [TODO]
  7. Removing Modern Original Content (Optional)
  8. Finding Era-appropriate Vintage Tracks
Download Power & Glory

You can use the official installer download here at RD and continue on with the extra steps here or download the archive parts here and simply extract over an existing GTR2 folder.
  1. PnG 001 Base.zip
  2. PnG 002 Cars.zip
  3. PnG 003 Tracks.zip (*Optional)
While the installer has some helpful benefits it is not as simple as extracting a zip so I've provided the zips above. They were created by getting the official installer to install into a blank folder so these are only the unique files from the mod. It also helps decrease the full size.

*The Tracks archive is actually optional, as they're just tweaked original content tracks and the tweaks are just visual according to README files.

The download here at RD is/was failing at least in Firefox (working now in Chrome). You can still try it, if you want, and then continue with extra steps below.

Sorry if these download links violate the rules. Will figure out something else if they do.

Extract to a GTR2 folder

Extract the files into your GTR2 folder.

I recommend copying an existing, clean GTR2 installation folder and using it as a dedicated PnG GTR2 folder. It's a simple folder copy&paste.

Configure GTR2Config.exe and GTR2.exe
  1. Right-click on GTR2Config.exe and set Properties > Compatibility > 'Run as Administrator'
  2. Run GTR2Config.exe and choose your settings
  3. Right-click GTR2.exe and set Properties > Compatibility > "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" compatbility mode
Other compatibility modes may work, that one was just the default and it worked.

4GB Patch GTR2.exe
  1. Download the 4GB Patch (Backup link)
  2. Run 4gb_patch.exe, select your GTR2.exe, and it should patch automatically (you'll receive an "OK" screen if it did).
Without this, I was experiencing crashes on a 29 AI grid at Donington GP 2004.

Crew Chief GTR2 Enhancements Plugin (Optional)
  1. Follow the instructions here to install Crew Chief to get the GTR2 Enhancements Plugin
  2. Copy over a Steam GTR2.exe into your GTR2 folder. For HQ Anniversary Patch, see compatibility options.
  3. Re-do 4GB Patch on GTR2.exe (see section above)
  4. Run GTR2Config.exe and choose settings
  5. Right-click GTR2.exe and unset Properties > Compatibility > "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" compatbility mode
GTR2 should run now.

Steam GTR2 may start up with an annoying visible Title Bar in Windowed mode: Edit Plugins\CrewChief.ini and set graphicsForceBorderlessWindow = 1 to force a clean borderless mode.

HQ Anniversary Patch (Optional)
  1. Extract HQ Anniversary Patch archives into GTR2 folder
  2. Run GTR2_SETUP.CMD [TODO: BUGGED]
If you're not using Crew Chief, you may need to fix GTR2.exe compatibility: Right-click GTR2.exe and set Properties > Compatibility > "Windows XP (Service Pack2 )". I'm not exactly sure why it's needed at this point.

Bugged: I've run into some bugs here. World geometry out on track is really messed up, seeing through the ground, walls missing, gaps in the world showing other parts in the world, really weird stuff. Might be Specialfx.tex related. I am sure something has gotten mis-selected in GTR2_SETUP.CMD but I'm not sure what right now.

Removing Modern Original Content (Optional)

You can remove modern original content to improve historical immersion:
  1. Download ZIP with CMD scripts
  2. Extract scripts to GTR2 folder
  3. Run UNINSTALL script to remove modern original content
You can run the REINSTALL script to re-add modern original content.

Backups are created by the UNINSTALL script but if you're concerned just backup yourself.

Finding Era-appropriate Vintage Tracks

Festbierbude.de

A German site dedicated to Power & Glory with an excellent download section of era-appropriate tracks.

The site is mostly about online multiplayer but its downloads sections are excellent and a prime source of vintage content.

SHO PnG Retrofit

Hosted here at Race Department, Retrofit "is a set of changes to Power & Glory 3.2 to enhance historical immersion. The mod will start by adding in historic versions of tracks and historic championships and grow from there. Any changes that could enhance immersion will be considered."

Race Department

You'll have to do some searching, but you can find some vintage content here in the Race Department GTR2 download section.

Here's a specific thread for tracks for Power & Glory.

Elsewhere

Other forums such as the GTR2 European Endurance Center and Trackaholics may be good spots.

Enjoy

It really should be that simple from a clean GTR2 install base. Let me know of any issues or ideas and I'll see about adding them to this post.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea