Should I buy AC?

I read some people saying the AI is good and racey and feels like you are racing humans, then others saying it is terrible. I wish I could try a demo to gauge my own opinions!

I think you guys are making my mind up to wait till the ai improves. As much as I love online I want to race the ai also. It's a shame as AC looks bloody amazing.

I must say though that with all the advances in technology it seems ai has advanced the least.... Kinda sad really. Well I'm enjoying rf2, gsce and I've just installed gtr2... They will do for now!

I was looking for a game that had:

1. Tracks I like
2. Cars I like
3. Runs at a great frame rate on my PC
4. Full customization, race any car on any track, customize championships with any cars on any tracks.
5. Great AI

The only game I have tried that does all the above and I have tried AC, PC and rFactor is GTR 2, sure it's old but it does things way ahead of it's time, the AI is a pleasure to race against, you can change their aggression easily. The car class system took me a little bit to figure out but now I can have them in their makes & models easily.

I makes me wonder why all the other games can't get it right.

I was looking for a game that had:

1. Tracks I like
2. Cars I like
3. Runs at a great frame rate on my PC
4. Full customization, race any car on any track, customize championships with any cars on any tracks.
5. Great AI

The only game I have tried that does all the above and I have tried AC, PC and rFactor is GTR 2, sure it's old but it does things way ahead of it's time, the AI is a pleasure to race against, you can change their aggression easily. The car class system took me a little bit to figure out but now I can have them in their makes & models easily.

I makes me wonder why all the other games can't get it right.
What aggression settings do you run at? I'm just playing the vanilla game at the minute straight out the box no mods

What aggression settings do you run at? I'm just playing the vanilla game at the minute straight out the box no mods

I just have them on Real and find they are great, haven't even tried Psychotic, one thing you can do is get the UI Upgrade it makes the menu system look way better.

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/gtr2-ui-mod-the-new-menu-interface-for-gtr2.96576/

Also the Fazerbox map plugin is a must IMO as I like to see where the other cars are on the track. Just do a search for GTR2MapPlugin 108 on google etc.

thanks....just been doing some messing around and have found that spa and 61 cars is a recipe for disaster at the start...some v strange ai behaviour with some ai not moving at all at the start causing full course yellows. annoying!!

I've only rarely had issues with AC's ai, I do think there are a few situations they need to be more aware of but they never drive into me on purpose, contacts are in retrospect always cause I cut across their line. The "slow down and stop and see what AI does" test seems kinda... well, of course they're not programmed to handle that, that's not a racing situation.

The "slow down and stop and see what AI does" test seems kinda... well, of course they're not programmed to handle that, that's not a racing situation.

.. you haven't quite thought this through have you? Guess what that "test" is about? It's when a damaged car is across the track or going slowly due to the damage. Even pretty basic AI should be able to navigate around objects that move much slower or are standing still.

I don't know how some of you guys can pretend that the AI is great in Assetto Corsa. It ain't. There are a lot of good aspects to the game but AI is not one. Or perhaps it gets better/has less bugs at low levels of difficulty?

Having said that, it is worth mentioning that AI is being constantly updated and they are doing their best to get it up to scratch. After all, AI may be the single most difficult thing to program properly.. It's not a coincidence that the AI of ISI based simulators is decent. They spent an awful lot of R&D on AI routines after the early Formula 1 simulator problems. rFactor 1 initial version already had better AI than most other driving games have today but it only manifested itself after thousands of man hours of work. We'll need to give Kunos a bit more time to get it done properly.

• Deleted member 197115

@bmanic, it used to be the case but I do not experience that since 1.3 update. It goes around no problem, takes advantage of your mistakes and can be a tad too aggressive at times when you cross their line or try to block as Stereo pointed out.

Best money I have ever spent on a game in my life.

Or perhaps it gets better/has less bugs at low levels of difficulty?
Maybe, I only run it up to 98%, 96% is competitive with me in most cars. The closer to 100% the less margin of error there is when the AI meets something unexpected, and with tires already at 100% grip usage they limit their options on avoidance.

I dunno, maybe I philosophically treat the AIs too much like humans? If a human driver couldn't see me in certain blindspots and wasn't leaving me racing room, I just stay out of the problem spot, I don't tell them they're useless.

This was just a random first lap against the AI I recorded earlier tonight. I wiped out on lap two so I scrapped the video but decided to just show the first lap since it contained a situation similar to this.
.. Even pretty basic AI should be able to navigate around objects that move much slower or are standing still.
The AI still have plenty of room to be improved, for sure, but they aren't horrible or unplayable by any stretch of the imagination.

A single video on a single track with a single car make doesn't make for much of "evidence" though. I've had some races that are awesome and some that are a disaster. The weird thing is, it seems to be both a car type + track combination.. and it also depends on grip levels you set on the track, and most likely the AI difficulty as well.

The same thing is true here as in some of the other games.. it's inconsistent. You can have brilliant races and you can have not so good ones.. and you can also get into situations where they completely bug out.

But yeah, like I said, it's been improved all the time. I just don't understand the need for the fanboy defense that some here go for (not blaming you by the way). If there's a 50/50 split of some people thinking the AI is great and some thinking it's rather mediocre then it's pretty safe to say that there are most likely some issues.

I'd also like to stress that it is nowhere near being catastrophic any more (as it was at launch). One can have some awesome races indeed.

I don't know, but GTR2 AI FOR ME on my computer is the worst of all sims that I own. If I'm not braking at the same point or traveling at the exact same speed, I get rammed really hard by AI. Same goes for PCars. On these 2 sims I dare not out brake the AI to overtake them into a corner. Even I have the inside line and it's pretty clear that I have it, they will still try to stick to their lines and hit me. In comparison I think AC, R3E, and GSC AI are nicer to me when I take the inside.

However by FOR ME I mean I fully understand why many people like GTR2's AI. They are competitive, they push you to the limit, and as a result you pay for your mistakes. But for me at the moment, their pace is not suitable for me. I've spent my recent 80 or so sim racing hours dedicated to different titles' AI. I think the when people talk about how good/bad AI is, they talk about their experience and sensation when racing against them. Because different people have vastly different skill levels, different driving styles, and different characteristics they expect from AI, their opinions are supposed to be different. Even when other people tell you the AI is good, it is still possible that you can get terrible races.

However I believe if most people can have consensus about a certain title's AI, then the programmers must have done something not so good, such as the overwhelmingly agreed idea that AC AI before 1.2 is really bad.

I don't know, but GTR2 AI FOR ME on my computer is the worst of all sims that I own. If I'm not braking at the same point or traveling at the exact same speed, I get rammed really hard by AI. Same goes for PCars. On these 2 sims I dare not out brake the AI to overtake them into a corner. Even I have the inside line and it's pretty clear that I have it, they will still try to stick to their lines and hit me. In comparison I think AC, R3E, and GSC AI are nicer to me when I take the inside.

However by FOR ME I mean I fully understand why many people like GTR2's AI. They are competitive, they push you to the limit, and as a result you pay for your mistakes. But for me at the moment, their pace is not suitable for me. I've spent my recent 80 or so sim racing hours dedicated to different titles' AI. I think the when people talk about how good/bad AI is, they talk about their experience and sensation when racing against them. Because different people have vastly different skill levels, different driving styles, and different characteristics they expect from AI, their opinions are supposed to be different. Even when other people tell you the AI is good, it is still possible that you can get terrible races.

However I believe if most people can have consensus about a certain title's AI, then the programmers must have done something not so good, such as the overwhelmingly agreed idea that AC AI before 1.2 is really bad.
i have read that the gtr reborn mod really transforms this game...BUT i can't seem to get the full mod with the ai and physics overhaul anywhere. i can only get the ai fix only. if anyone knows how to get the full mod please tell me!! all the download links are either broken or corrupted

A/C is my overall favorite sim. It doesn't do one thing in particular great, but it does almost everything really good. As far as AI is concerned....I ran a practice session in Iracing last night where some dude purposely rammed me at Road America. It was just silly. So when people complain about bad AI, I point to any knucklehead racing online if they think humans are so much better. As far as I'm concerned, every competitor is treated the same because there is no way to predict their movements. Protect yourself at all times, regardless.

I'd say give A/C a try. It's certainly no worse than anything else on the market. But that's just my opinion.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back