Shock News: Mercedes to Quit DTM Post 2018

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Mercedes DTM quit.jpg

Mercedes Benz have surprised the motorsport world by announcing their intention to withdraw from DTM racing at the end of 2018, siting a shift of focus to the ever expanding Formula E series.

Having been a key figure in the popular German touring car series since the early 1980's, Mercedes Benz Motorsport have confirmed the 2018 racing season will be their final one in the championship, as the company continue to focus on both their highly successful Formula One challenge and a recently announced works entry in Formula E for the 2019/20 season.

"Our years in the DTM will always be held high as a major chapter in the motorsport history of Mercedes," said Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff

"I want to thank every team member whose fantastic work has helped to make Mercedes-Benz the most successful DTM manufacturer during that time.

"Although leaving is tough for all of us, we will be doing everything during this season and next to make sure we win as many DTM titles as possible before we go. We owe that to our fans and to ourselves."

Our departure from the DTM brings a long-standing motorsport era to a close. We look back with pride on the commitment of our teams, drivers, partners and the many people behind the scenes, who so often made the series a fascinating platform for our customers and for fans of our brand,” concluded vice president of marketing at Mercedes-Benz, Dr. Jens Thiemer. “It is now time to start on a new path.”
Should the number of manufacturers remain unchanged before the end of 2018, the withdrawal of the three pointed star will leave just Audi and BMW represented in the DTM heading into 2019. At present, Mercedes field no less than six of the 18 drivers in DTM 2017, with big name former Formula One and DTM champion Paul Di Resta, Williams reserve and another former champion Gary Paffett and Force India test driver Lucas Auer all expected to be looking for work once the manufacturer withdraw, the announcement will force an incredible shake up of the status quo within the sport.

With DTM finding itself on the back burner after next season, Mercedes have confirmed a works entry in the electric open wheel Formula E season for 2019, joining a growing number of works outfits entering the somewhat marmite racing series.

"In motorsport like in every other area, we want to be the benchmark in the premium segment and to explore innovative new projects. The combination of Formula 1 and Formula E delivers that" said a Mercedes statement.

Formula E is like an exciting start-up venture: it offers a brand new format, combining racing with a strong event character, in order to promote current and future technologies.

Electrification is happening in the road car world and Formula E offers manufacturers an interesting platform to bring this technology to a new audience - and to do so with a completely new kind of racing, different to any other series."
Sad news for the DTM but a much needed shot in the arm for Formula E, only time will tell what the impact will be on one of the best touring car series in the world, and what happens next for the incredibly strong driving line up currently plying their trade in the championship for Mercedes Benz.

For more motorsport news, check out the Motorsport sub forum here at RaceDepartment and join in with the community.

Mercedes DTM quit 4.jpg
Mercedes DTM quit 3.jpg
Mercedes DTM quit 6.jpg
Mercedes DTM quit 5.jpg
Mercedes DTM Quit 2.jpg

What do you make of the Mercedes announcement? Can the DTM survive without one of its premium manufacturers and long term supporters? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
The usual procedure, they aren`t dominating, the competitors are to hard... they quit...:whistling: Same might happen, loosing 2 or 3 F1 championships in a row. They were the loudest crying for new small turbo engines in DTM and now they quit before this specification is on.:cautious:

On the other hand .. quite a good chance for DTM to think it over and throw those new engines(why repeat F1 mistakes) over board and cut down aerodynamics massivly.

But if DTM vanishes...

No big trouble.. we got GT Masters for good racing and really cool cars.

Last edited:
Now we now which car Lewis Hamilton is going to drive in the near future :x3::x3: And Nikki Lauda will get the main switch for all cars...

LH:"Uncle Nikki they won`t let me pass. I wonna win, you promised me to... "
NL: " No problem son, that´s why you are now racing in a slot car..."

BzzzzzzzP:p

Last edited:
Who knows just how many of the now involved in the emissions scandal now swapping the German Auto industries have to trim or slash their racing programs when they are now facing a major series of court case's that could come about with the rigging of software & them all of them working hand in hand to rig the market facing billions in lost sale's in the US market is going to hurt all of them, Just look at how VW dumped all most all its major racing programs even at the cost of race cars in development form both Audi with their LMP program & VW's full developed 2017 spec WRC car program been scrapped in instant almost.

It is far essayer to quite DTM than it is to quite F1 with its binding agreement to race for so many year or face penalty's for breach of contract.

We are yet to see if Porsche trims its racing program back and BMW , all are in the same pile of DO DO . Just how many other none German auto company's have also rigged their diesel cars is yet to be found out

Still the good old grandpa´s and taxi car brand:roflmao:

After Le Mans 1998 Mercedes with their "engine problems" and this whiny and cowardish statement "We never will come back to this bad old track" (cause we are not able to build race cars that aren´t aeroplanes...)
lost all reputation in my eyes and they keep on goin this way...:thumbsdown:

But...

We won`t miss you Mercedes:p

Last edited:
Who knows just how many of the now involved in the emissions scandal now swapping the German Auto industries have to trim or slash their racing programs when they are now facing a major series of court case's that could come about with the rigging of software & them all of them working hand in hand to rig the market facing billions in lost sale's in the US market is going to hurt all of them, Just look at how VW dumped all most all its major racing programs even at the cost of race cars in development form both Audi with their LMP program & VW's full developed 2017 spec WRC car program been scrapped in instant almost.

It is far essayer to quite DTM than it is to quite F1 with its binding agreement to race for so many year or face penalty's for breach of contract.

We are yet to see if Porsche trims its racing program back and BMW , all are in the same pile of DO DO . Just how many other none German auto company's have also rigged their diesel cars is yet to be found out
scandal lol governments are scandal institutes they want to be fooled and again Germans proofed they are the best in yet another league , great peace off equipment they put in their cars, masterpiece:thumbsup:

I love how so many people at RD bash Formula E...better learn to love it because that's where the companies are going to get the best bang-for-their buck. Ferrari will be the next major manufacturer to enter the mix and one of the American giants will probably enter soon after.

Deal with it people, its the way of the future!

And this people is how motorsport isngoing to die. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with electric cars on our street if they are really better for our environment. But motorsport is in my opinion an experience which lives from the audio and video. Both together in harmony with some good drivers and clean racing is what we love. Motorsport is going to die when we don't have the screaming sound of the race engines anymore. It will be quite boring as a spectator at the race tracks. Everyone who has watched race cars in real life will know that they don't look incredibly fast when you watch them go by...a huge factor is the sound which helps you to imagine what it must be like to tame those race car monsters.
Very sad day... I guess we will look back some day and say that the f1 v6 ...The loss of Audi in lmp1 and of course this will have had a great impact on worldwide and at least motorsport in Europe.

DTM became just boring with all that team orders. After 2 or 3 races there are already the "chosen" pilots, and the rest of the season it´s just about all the rest of the field racing to help the 3 guys. Just pathetic.

But leaving DTM to focus on Formula E??? Really?? Submarine races are still better.

Once again sad news for motorsport and DTM which I actually enjoy. Do people actually watch Formula E? I accidentally turned it on the other day when the DTM coverage dropped and I turned on some mindless TV program rather than watch scaletrix

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back